New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

I'm not saying that I don't buy that they're using a call letter box, but for reference the last time "WBBM" was a part of Channel 2's branding was 1997. Does that negate any chance of them going back that direction? Not at All- Much like the KCBS situation with the ratings, nothing can really be off the table in Chicago. What is interesting is that after 25 years, going back to calls when they happen to be the same calls as a top-rated radio station in the market who is no longer co-owned...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amra said:

From Vimeo:

image.thumb.png.1206310ea161388f44faf8fae744900f.png

Just for the record, this series of videos was posted 7-plus months ago. Things could have changed, since then, but yes, it's the only thing any of us have seen hinting at where they might be headed with the branding.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Amra said:

Right!

There’s too many CBS 2’s.

4 to be exact in the O&O station group. Hence why they want to give each market a unique and local feel with the call letters since channels don’t mean anything these days with streaming.

This leaves WCBS the only one that kept the CBS 2 in its branding.

Chicago is going the call letter route like KDKA, and KCBS focusing on KCAL instead. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

And WBBM's reveal ends up showing why they kept it simple with WWJ - they had no prior commitments to anything involving linear TV as they had no news to begin with. It really was just a chance to start fresh for that station. The other stations for better or worse do have at least something recognizable.

I'll be honest, I was one of the anti-box people at the beginning, but after seeing all the variations I've kind of accepted them. They do seem very slapped together however, and need at least some retouching to make them fit the new image better (removing the double-eye in WCBS, maybe redesigning the star 11 for KTVT). All in all though CBS did great with the new look.

• Like 2

I'll repeat, since some of you are running with that screenshot...

WBBM has not debuted the new look.

That image is from a promotions department video from last fall. It is not necessarily a sign of their final branding.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Thought-Provoking 1

Does anybody have a clue if any CBS O&O stations affiliated with The CW have the new graphics? For example, WTOG CW44 in Tampa or maybe KSTWashington CW11 in Seattle (whose station is celebrating 70 years on the air)

1 hour ago, JacobFL said:

Does anybody have a clue if any CBS O&O stations affiliated with The CW have the new graphics? For example, WTOG CW44 in Tampa or maybe KSTWashington CW11 in Seattle (whose station is celebrating 70 years on the air)

They all air “CBS News Now,” which has used the new graphics since its launch in July.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 7:15 PM, SFTV said:

There’s too many CBS 2’s.

4 to be exact in the O&O station group. Hence why they want to give each market a unique and local feel with the call letters since channels don’t mean anything these days with streaming.

This leaves WCBS the only one that kept the CBS 2 in its branding.

Chicago is going the call letter route like KDKA, and KCBS focusing on KCAL instead. 

CBS & their excessively long brandings. "WCCO News & CBS Minnesota". 

Interestingly enough, the multiple ABC 7 Eyewitness News stations have worked for ABC though. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, MediaZone4K said:

CBS & their excessively long brandings. "WCCO News & CBS Minnesota".

Who said that would be permanent? Plus the “WCCO News” branding is still fairly prevalent at the opening and most reporter lock-outs. WBZ does the same and I’d be surprised if WJZ didn’t do the same as well.

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I guess Chicago is enough of a channel number market to warrant keeping the 2. Although I have no idea why they're using their 2 in the intro and the WCBS 2 in the bug.

Because no one gives a damn about that basic attention to detail. How can they be one of the last stations to switch, and look not at all ready? No updated video loop, the desk graphic in the same. Shall I continue?

Points for not using the CBS Sports Los Angeles graphic, because the bar is just that low. 😂

image.thumb.png.f5d5cbc3d70ebadd8937951679bb643d.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

This was used at the end of a promo for a special report to air tomorrow. It’s possible they didn’t get around to making a new one with the new graphics, etc... or they sticking with promos like this.

IMG_0806.thumb.jpeg.1e5bcc1a96d2d3b6b8850db610dd9e15.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Although I have no idea why they're using their 2 in the intro and the WCBS 2 in the bug.

Good catch! Meanwhile, WCBS often incorrectly used the WBBM 2 in the previous look. Very similar but not the same!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1