New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

I have to admit, this looks pretty good:

2023-04-13_1_08_20.png.5e49ac2252dfa51b380cd2d3616bbbd9.png

It also makes me want to see what the black box looks like with just the 3 in it. Anyone want to mock that up?

Oh, and is Morgan Freeman aware that he's apparently been cloned? Because that's who Ukee Washington's voice reminds me of -- in a good way, of course. 😉

• Like 6

On 4/13/2023 at 12:16 AM, mre29 said:

It also makes me want to see what the black box looks like with just the 3 in it. Anyone want to mock that up?

image.thumb.png.5263486f74e3756e6596dd08cde10a58.png

Updated with new version (4/14, 12:40am CT)

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Angry 1

Green is a rare color for stations but KYW pulls it off well. Loving the Philadelphia Eagles shade of green. The new CBS package in't all that great, but touches of uniqueness like these is what adds flare and authenciticty. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Green is a rare color for stations but KYW pulls it off well. Loving the Philadelphia Eagles shade of green. The new CBS package in't all that great, but touches of uniqueness like these is what adds flare and authenciticty. 

Word is they were looking for something ‘distinctive’ and after playing around with 2-3 different colors.. settled on green. They wanted to get away from using blue (arguably the most popular color currently used) and red is, of course, synonymous with breaking news.

While they may not admit it, I think , subconsciously, they were likely leaning toward green to play off the Eagles colors from the beginning. I do wonder what other colors they were considering. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jase said:

Word is they we’re looking for something ‘distinctive’ and after playing around with 2-3 different colors.. settled on green. They wanted to get away from using blue (arguably the most popular color currently used) and red is, of course, synonymous with breaking news.

While they may not admit it, I think , subconsciously, they were likely leaning toward green to play off the Eagles colors from the beginning. I do wonder what other colors they were considering. 

I hope design packages embrace black, browns, yellows and purples more instead of the general blue and white, breaking red, and morning orange looks. Not CBS but Nightly News woth Tom Brokaw used brown and purple effectively in the early 00s.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

I hope design packages embrace black, browns, yellows and purples more instead of the general blue and white, breaking red, and morning orange looks. Not CBS but Nightly News woth Tom Brokaw used brown and purple effectively in the early 00s.

The Morgan Murphy stations use white, orange, and what looks like dark gray with a touch of blue. It's strikingly different from other packages.

Question is, will WBBM follow WWJ, KCNC, and KCBS (somewhat) in going with the CBS Chicago/CBS News Chicago name??  Don’t be surprised if the CBS 2 name is officially retired in name and in logo.

Speaking of WCCO…

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mre29 said:

So, are we taking bets as to which station (WBBM, WJZ, or KOVR) is the last to switch?*

*Asks the guy who does not have money to spare right now. 🤣

I'm going with WJZ only because it took forever to switch to the now old package... might as well get as much use out of it before switching again.

• Like 1

I'm confused by that KYW look. Why bring back a throwback logo that few people probably remember? It seems counterproductive to what I thought was CBS's ultimate goal of unifying all the stations' branding and eventually de-emphasizing channel numbers. Yes, I know they want to have local elements in there too, but this just feels like it's going in the opposite direction.

Also, why let stations pick their own colors? The whole point of standardizing graphics equipment on Chyron Axis is that you can roll out different animations and monitor graphics for all kinds of news topics really quickly to all the stations. Other station groups have done this for years. Stations like KYW and KDKA with one-off looks are going to perpetually have a mismatched look or will not be able to benefit from the resources of hubbed graphics.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thought-Provoking 2

On 4/13/2023 at 4:55 PM, GodfreyGR said:

As of 4pm central, WCCO has flipped.

00E24404-6E7C-44FA-A15B-3FF6EED329C4.jpeg

05B95A36-4730-49AA-AB7F-4872C4FC319A.jpeg

4F46AE78-D5C6-400D-8C4A-329871074320.jpeg

A3DEDC27-241B-4BE9-9890-EDFA550CEB20.jpeg

D173D670-4541-4F9F-BEEC-C97C6270E1A9.jpeg

CC3668A8-CC3F-4416-A31D-9589F341072E.jpeg

E1BEB6DC-2BB6-46FA-A7A7-C9FE2680A984.jpeg

AE0A5DED-C948-4719-89BA-EC7A702F04B5.jpeg

8A1372CD-3B91-43FD-A22C-E2D2D0E85AD7.jpeg

0BDD0012-E6F4-4403-8B20-71F2465FE5C0.jpeg

B04CD277-8193-42CE-B587-8512A7310CC2.jpeg

Exactly what is the brandng? WCCO News, CBS News Minnesota, WCCO News on CBS Minnesota? Go the KYW route and simplify it. "4" in the black box, "CBS News Minnesota" in the blue box. Maybe WCCO is like KCAL or PIX where the call sign is famously known otherwise referencing them isn't necessary.

14 hours ago, C Block said:

I'm confused by that KYW look. Why bring back a throwback logo that few people probably remember? It seems counterproductive to what I thought was CBS's ultimate goal of unifying all the stations' branding and eventually de-emphasizing channel numbers. Yes, I know they want to have local elements in there too, but this just feels like it's going in the opposite direction.

Also, why let stations pick their own colors? The whole point of standardizing graphics equipment on Chyron Axis is that you can roll out different animations and monitor graphics for all kinds of news topics really quickly to all the stations. Other station groups have done this for years. Stations like KYW and KDKA with one-off looks are going to perpetually have a mismatched look or will not be able to benefit from the resources of hubbed graphics.

Fair points. IMO channel numbers should referenced in some way so people can quickly find the station on their tv. Most people probably say Channel 3 anyway instead of CBS Philly or KWY. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Exactly what is the brandng? WCCO News, CBS News Minnesota, WCCO News on CBS Minnesota? Go the KYW route and simplify it. "4" in the black box, "CBS News Minnesota" in the blue box. Maybe WCCO is like KCAL or PIX where the call sign is famously known otherwise referencing them is necessary.

Fair points. IMO channel numbers should referenced in some way so people can quickly find the station on their tv. Most people probably say Channel 3 anyway instead of CBS Philly or KWY. 

Channel references really don’t matter anymore in this digital age.  This why stations like KDKA, WBZ, WCCO, KCBS, KCNC, and WWJ are all doing away with them.  Don’t be shocked if WBBM soon follows suit.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

In Pittsburgh, on the largest cable provider (Comcast), the channel number branding has never aligned with the actual channel numbers on tv. For example, KDKA2 was channel 6, WTAE4 was channel 8, and WPXI11 was channel 12. And when HD came along, those stations are now on channel 8xx. Not to mention on streaming (the major focus), channel numbers are 100% irrelevant. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, C Block said:

I don't see the harm in allowing the stations to add their own unique twists/elements to this graphics package. KYW's new look is awesome and creates the [distinctive] look that they wanted. The same can be said of the other CBS O&Os. 

CBS could have easily laid down the hammer and mandated every station look and sound the same. They did not do that and that, in and of itself, should be celebrated. I had previously said CBS was 'placating' each station, but now that i think about it...I was wrong to see it that way.

The fact is [and regardless of the industry], when you allow people to have a say in something..the greater likelihood they will do all that they can to help the company, organization, etc... succeed.

People, at each station, advocated for certain things (however big or small) and CBS listened. How often does that happen???

At the end of the day, I rather they take some risks and think 'outside the box.' The bones of the package are still there. Allowing for different colors, etc.. doesn't change that. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Maybe WCCO is like KCAL or PIX where the call sign is famously known

Ding! You'll occasionally hear someone call it "Channel 4", but in Minnesota, "WCCO" (or 'CCO) is a household name.

I'll be sure to let you know if hell freezes over and I hear someone call it "CBS News Minnesota".

7 hours ago, Tyler said:

In Pittsburgh, on the largest cable provider (Comcast), the channel number branding has never aligned with the actual channel numbers on tv. For example, KDKA2 was channel 6, WTAE4 was channel 8, and WPXI11 was channel 12. And when HD came along, those stations are now on channel 8xx. Not to mention on streaming (the major focus), channel numbers are 100% irrelevant. 

Not only that, but it seems in general people don't refer to KDKA as Channel 2, yet Channel 4 and Channel 11 are commonplace references for WTAE and WPXI, respectively.

• Like 5