New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

9 minutes ago, jase said:

Couple of more (including new mic flag)…

IMG_0767.thumb.jpeg.94450bfb5df55785b2de72c02161de91.jpegIMG_0771.thumb.jpeg.d4000ceac2d894fde2d57560508cf914.jpegIMG_0770.thumb.jpeg.38b6fd3006f6190a56b56a2e55635434.jpegIMG_0772.thumb.jpeg.9f29ea9d13e7cb7428da558586d7a26b.jpeg

Something they need to tweak with the Next Weather graphics, the logo and banner are green like the rest of the graphics but the forecast boxes and other elements like that are still the default blue and it clashes badly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Wow, that Eagles green looks great; way better than it has any right to be. Certainly blows Black-and-Gold out of the water for personalized GFXs colors in my eyes.

If there's one thing I dislike is the blue in the weather gfx clashing with the greens. Nitpicking I know, but it stands out in a negative way, imo. 

7 minutes ago, jase said:

If there's one thing I dislike is the blue in the weather gfx clashing with the greens. Nitpicking I know, but it stands out in a negative way, imo. 

It's an easy fix for anyone in the gfx dept to take care of. I'm sure it'll be straightened out in the coming days.

• Like 2

KYW-TV is CBS's pet project in more ways than one, it's fully repudiating and excoriating the past Dunn/Friend regime. Making Ukee Washington the literal face and voice of the station (in more ways that one) speaks volumes.

If you didn't see Ukee deliver KYW's new mission statement during the 5pm newscast, you really should seek out the airchecks.

10 minutes ago, Action Newsroom said:

Wow, that Eagles green looks great; way better than it has any right to be. Certainly blows Black-and-Gold out of the water for personalized GFXs colors in my eyes.

What if the varied color palettes are intentional? What's to say they want the O&Os to try various color schemes and this is being worked out open-source between the stations?

Of course I'm a Browns fan, so Eagles green >>>>> Steelers black-n-yellow, sorry yinz all lmao

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

What if the varied color palettes are intentional? What's to say they want the O&Os to try various color schemes and this is being worked out open-source between the stations?

I was wondering the same thing. If this opens the door for say WJZ to go purple (wouldn't be the first time they went with a crazy color scheme) for the Ravens, or WBBM go dark blue and orange for the Bears or blue and red for the Cubs? It seems like everything is in play.

This does remind me of when NBC tried to implement this strategy back in 2011. The stations all had a choice of color schemes to go with.

• Like 2

Just now, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I was wondering the same thing. If this opens the door for say WJZ to go purple (wouldn't be the first time they went with a crazy color scheme) for the Ravens, or WBBM go dark blue and orange for the Bears or blue and red for the Cubs? It seems like everything is in play.

This does remind me of when NBC tried to implement this strategy back in 2011. The stations all had a choice of color schemes to go with.

@24994Jdid a mock in the Discord for WBBM with the Bears colors, and it actually looks good! (I won't share unless he'd want to lol)

The aforementioned B+C article did have this quote from Adrienne which is making me think "open source" more and more...

Adrienne Roark, CBS Stations president, was “involved every step of the way” in the CBS Philadelphia rebrand, she said. Other CBS stations may consider similar brand tweaks. “All of our branding and design decisions feature a market-by-market approach,” Roark said. 

Basically, this feels like it's a "sum of all parts" among the stations, and KYW might have served as an ice-breaker. Ironically this has the feeling of something @Samanthasuggested to me once: the idea of a station group (she was thinking about Gray) creating a graphics package or branding conventions with different colors for different regions.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

@24994Jdid a mock in the Discord for WBBM with the Bears colors, and it actually looks good! (I won't share unless he'd want to lol)

926170357_2023-04-12(1).thumb.png.c9fb3f4600cca8f84c6594b8575a68ec.png

And in Chicago flag colors...

2023-04-12.thumb.png.3202471a150fa3862187083f5bc9b5ce.png

20 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

@Samanthasuggested to me once: the idea of a station group (she was thinking about Gray) creating a graphics package or branding conventions with different colors for different regions.

Was NBC ahead of its time? I kind of hope so, honestly.

image.thumb.png.5759b1718cd0842ac163c1fc7fcb4b03.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

They are clearly coping KDKA with the local football team colors.  Told you they were eyeing WCBS and KDKA.  The eye 3 box of clearly WCBS and the local team colors is KDKA.

Dropping that Helvetica "3" was totally intentional. It had too much negative baggage connected to Dunn/Friend and it was absolutely boring to boot.

If WCBS were to swap out their current "2" for the Eurostyle-ish font with no eye and put THAT in their box... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Was NBC ahead of its time? I kind of hope so, honestly.

image.thumb.png.5759b1718cd0842ac163c1fc7fcb4b03.png

Exactly what I was referring to earlier. I was actually a big fan of this look and the direction it was going. It tied in nicely with the network's "More Colorful" promo campaign. Also the stations DID have the option to retain their channel number branding. As you can see WNBC was to stay NBC 4 New York, WCAU was to rebrand to NBC 10 Philadelphia, KNSD eventually became NBC 7 San Diego after being just NBC San Diego when they launched the look.

But yes NBC was WAY ahead of its time given the blow back they got from most of the O&Os when this was coming down the pike. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

I'm looking at Logopedia, and the new '3' that KYW is using looks to be a redrawn version of the '3' used from 1963-1965 when KYW was still WRCV (and affiliated with NBC).

They'll never admit to the trades, "we went with a logo that hadn't seen the light of day since NBC was thrown back to Cleveland in 1965" because it would be insane to say. BUT it's pretty clear they looked long and hard at the station's history, saw that "3" and felt it would be better than the Westinghouse font or that Helvetica "3"... they went with the throwback on purpose.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

They'll never admit to the trades, "we went with a logo that hadn't seen the light of day since NBC was thrown back to Cleveland in 1965" because it would be insane to say. BUT it's pretty clear they looked long and hard at the station's history, saw that "3" and felt it would be better than the Westinghouse font or that Helvetica "3"... they went with the throwback on purpose.

I also think the Westinghouse font is lost media. It hasn't seen any regular use as a typeface since Westinghouse became CBS. There have been (bad) redrawings of previous logos (looking at you WJZ and KYW 1060) and KPIX never retiring their 5 til just this year but no actual evidence that it survives at all. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I also think the Westinghouse font is lost media. It hasn't seen any regular use as a typeface since Westinghouse became CBS. There have been (bad) redrawings of previous logos (looking at you WJZ and KYW 1060) and KPIX never retiring their 5 til just this year but no actual evidence that it survives at all. 

WOWO radio in Fort Wayne still uses it nearly 40 years after Westinghouse sold off that station. And once WJZ drops it, WOWO will be the only one left.image.png.ac22db9a6d2559429e5ed06bda36f9e4.png

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

WOWO radio in Fort Wayne still uses it nearly 40 years after Westinghouse sold off that station. And once WJZ drops it, WOWO will be the only one left.image.png.ac22db9a6d2559429e5ed06bda36f9e4.png

Is that just an unchanged logo or do they use other characters from the typeface as well? I mean anyone with a basic knowledge of Adobe Illustrator can go in and do a image trace to extract lettering and shapes. The fact that only the call letters in the logo use the font tell me they don't actually have it.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10

KYW has the colors of Philadelphia Eagles

KDKA has the colors of the Steelers

WBBM with the Bears colors

Looks like the CBS is having its O&Os try NFL team color schemes. 

Got a feeling that KCNC will be on the list, and they'll be using Broncos-colored CBS graphics for KCNC

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

Got a feeling that KCNC will be on the list, and they'll be using Broncos-colored CBS graphics for KCNC

KCNC already has the CBS graphics.

The WBBM one posted is only a mock.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rusty Muck said:

KYW-TV is CBS's pet project in more ways than one, it's fully repudiating and excoriating the past Dunn/Friend regime. Making Ukee Washington the literal face and voice of the station (in more ways that one) speaks volumes.

If you didn't see Ukee deliver KYW's new mission statement during the 5pm newscast, you really should seek out the airchecks.

And here you go

• Like 4

2 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

KPIX viewers might think it’s Breaking News since Niners are Red and Gold. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Then again KRON viewers are used to its Red and White look 😆