New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

24 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

Also think of these three surprising things that give strong local news brands an advantage...and wise operators are leveraging and listening to them along the way

- 50% more OTA homes than 10 years ago. Who would have predicted that the drive to digital on demand viewing would result in more over the air households?  

https://www.nexttv.com/news/nielsen-sees-uptick-in-over-the-air-households

- An aging population - news viewing has always skewed older, and the size of the cohort with the time and desire to consume news is rising 

- Mistrust in national news brands. Whether you like it or not, for decades a sizable minority has felt unheard by the NY-based network news operations. And local brands at least have some dissociation from that for the cohort that cares about it. Awareness and action on that mistrust is higher than it was 10 or 20 years ago for better or worse. On the flip side who would have guessed 20 years ago the evening news on 3 networks plus cable would still be around? 

Remember in the 90s and 2000s we were lamenting the stations in big markets that lost their affiliate status as dead men walking?

• KRON beat KTVU at 10pm recently. 
  • Who would have thought WHDH even more recently as an example would remain a contender without NBC, let alone lead some ratings after the split?
  • WSVN still means 'news' more than any other english station in Miami.
  • KUSI is a perennial contender in the San Diego market to the chagrin of some
  • WGN leads many time slots 
  • The streamers are signing carriage agreements with the locals

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nexstar-reaches-multi-agreement-youtube-110000355.html

Fact is we've already seen 25% of cable households cut the cord. Smartphones are ubiquitous as are the socials they feed.

The disruption based on the elements we see today is very far along, and what you see today in habits and financials already reflects that. Future change will be things we can't see (who knows what AI does to productivity for example). 

CBS can brand all it wants, but NBC has played the network/local combo brand punch in O&O markets for years and it's no magic sauce for NBC. Heck the top web search term for them in LA is....KNBC...which hasn't ever been used in their on air news branding. Consumers will do what's easy for them to reach the talent telling stories they want to see, graphics be damned.

The company that's most deftly handling change in the industry at scale is in my opinion Nexstar, and in ways I wouldn't have guessed 5 or 10 years ago. But investors already figured that out, perhaps too widely, given Nexstar's valuation today. 

This is a long one, so my apologies in advance. TLDR, Nexstar isn’t the future, local≠always better, and accessibility is paramount.

I’ll have to disagree on quite a few of your points. First, Nexstar is not handling change in the industry well at all. They don’t have many other assets other than a mammoth amount of TV stations, which, in an industry that’s on the downswing, is like being the king of the coy pond. They’ve also put all their eggs in the proverbial basket of a floundering cable channel that has been hampered by distribution from the start. Also, it certainly doesn’t help that Nexstar actively restricts local streaming in order to “fulfill obligations to cable providers” or however they spin it. When you still live and die on retrans money, to the point where I can’t live stream a newscast, you aren’t handling change in the industry well.

Also, where did you get the ratings info for the stations you cited? I find it rather surprising that KRON was able to beat KTVU. That said, if they did, I doubt it’s because KRON has more of a local brand; on the contrary, I would credit the amount of upheaval and turnover at KTVU more than anything innovative KRON has supposedly done. Also, no offense, but KUSI is a joke. Appealing to angry boomers is not a sustainable plan that anyone should follow. Granted, if WGN decided to call themselves “NewsNation Chicago,” people would notice. However, just because a station slaps on a local brand doesn’t mean they’re a better station, or one that has an advantage in the market. There are some stations that have enough legacy and clout to have a unique local brand, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. Most TV stations are bland, boring, and stuck in the 1990s in terms of branding, accessibility, content, and relevance.

To get back to what this thread is about, what CBS has done is an effort to future-proof the company’s local newsrooms. Their stations are far more accessible than ever before; I can go on the CBS News app and see any CBS owned station’s local news, plus additional local content. It’s the best approach to accessibility that any station group has implemented so far. Compare that to your example, Nexstar, which does absolutely nothing on this front. That said, if some successful stations hold on to legacy brands either temporarily or permanently (like WBZ or KDKA, for example), I don’t think it matters as much as we think it does, especially since every station so far (except KCAL) visually emphasizes their presence on the CBS News app. Conversely, if most CBS stations drop their channel number, I don’t think it will either positively or negatively affect their ratings or viewer trust; there was neither outcry nor excessive curiosity among most viewers when KPIX and KCNC switched over. While *some* stations don’t need to drop legacy brands that are already working for them, they do need to reinvent themselves a bit, and prioritize accessibility in order for both older viewers and people in my age group to consider them relevant. So far, while the implementation hasn’t been perfect, CBS has done a decent job of that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

This is a long one, so my apologies in advance. TLDR, Nexstar isn’t the future, local≠always better, and accessibility is paramount.

I’ll have to disagree on quite a few of your points. First, Nexstar is not handling change in the industry well at all. They don’t have many other assets other than a mammoth amount of TV stations, which, in an industry that’s on the downswing, is like being the king of the coy pond. They’ve also put all their eggs in the proverbial basket of a floundering cable channel that has been hampered by distribution from the start. Also, it certainly doesn’t help that Nexstar actively restricts local streaming in order to “fulfill obligations to cable providers” or however they spin it. When you still live and die on retrans money, to the point where I can’t live stream a newscast, you aren’t handling change in the industry well.

Also, where did you get the ratings info for the stations you cited? I find it rather surprising that KRON was able to beat KTVU. That said, if they did, I doubt it’s because KRON has more of a local brand; on the contrary, I would credit the amount of upheaval and turnover at KTVU more than anything innovative KRON has supposedly done. Also, no offense, but KUSI is a joke. Appealing to angry boomers is not a sustainable plan that anyone should follow. Granted, if WGN decided to call themselves “NewsNation Chicago,” people would notice. However, just because a station slaps on a local brand doesn’t mean they’re a better station, or one that has an advantage in the market. There are some stations that have enough legacy and clout to have a unique local brand, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. Most TV stations are bland, boring, and stuck in the 1990s in terms of branding, accessibility, content, and relevance.

To get back to what this thread is about, what CBS has done is an effort to future-proof the company’s local newsrooms. Their stations are far more accessible than ever before; I can go on the CBS News app and see any CBS owned station’s local news, plus additional local content. It’s the best approach to accessibility that any station group has implemented so far. Compare that to your example, Nexstar, which does absolutely nothing on this front. That said, if some successful stations hold on to legacy brands either temporarily or permanently (like WBZ or KDKA, for example), I don’t think it matters as much as we think it does, especially since every station so far (except KCAL) visually emphasizes their presence on the CBS News app. Conversely, if most CBS stations drop their channel number, I don’t think it will either positively or negatively affect their ratings or viewer trust; there was neither outcry nor excessive curiosity among most viewers when KPIX and KCNC switched over. While *some* stations don’t need to drop legacy brands that are already working for them, they do need to reinvent themselves a bit, and prioritize accessibility in order for both older viewers and people in my age group to consider them relevant. So far, while the implementation hasn’t been perfect, CBS has done a decent job of that.

For KRON - Rich Lieberman noted it earlier this year - point being not they're dominating or consistently beating.

Point is that 20 years ago if you asked me I would have said KRON wouldn't exist as a standalone news operation, and be a sub-broadcast of one of the network affiliate operations. Remember all the laughing at MMJs. I was dead wrong about KRON's longevity.

And the rise of local elements like more OTA and aging viewers are things I didn't see in my opinion. 

Here's WSVN 

https://www.nexttv.com/news/local-news-close-up-south-florida-holds-the-keys-to-successful-local-news

and WGN

https://wgntv.com/community/news-releases/wgn-tv-finishes-may-sweep-1-or-2-in-10-out-of-11-weekday-newscasts-with-adults-25-54/

I laughed and mocked KUSI before I moved to the San Diego market. Now I get it's more than angry boomers, and for better or worse they lasted a lot longer than I would have thought, and have a remarkably loyal multi-generation following, albeit polarizing, with nonsense like the occasional long running Trump speech or Carl Demaio more than occasionally. It's a truly different product that goes deeper into local policy than any I've seen. 

I don't know where Nexstar will end up - debt is a wild card. But they've done a great job of increasing the value of their shares during a time people had long written off local broadcast news brands. I doubt investors are banking on Newsnation in much of their cash flow projections. And investors have been very wrong before.

I agree broadcast is tough sledding. But I thought that 20 years ago, and am learning from where I was wrong about how things haven't played out as simply as I thought.

I'm skeptical re-branding stations that are currently 3 or 4 in their market is going to future proof much in the context of the changes of the last 5-10 years.  They can do it all they want, but the work to be done was years prior in building locally relevant and leading brands, or being the dominant network player in the market. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just playing catch up with watching WCBS: right now, they seem to be all over the map within a single newscast.  I’m hearing:

- CBS 2 News

- CBS 2 News New York

- CBS 2 New York

- CBS News New York

All depending on who’s speaking - and that’s in the first 5 minutes of the newscast…

It seems that they’re headed to CBS News New York - just stumbling there along the way, rather than making the hard cut…

(and I’m taking to the theme music and graphics…)

Jim

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

On 4/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, Georgie56 said:

‘CCO gearing up.

And the new WX graphics look really awkward with the classic L3 is also shown on the screen. That said, this is the same station that as of last week was still using "CBSN Minnesota" graphics... But, I did notice the last couple of days that reporters are ending their bits with "(name) WCCO News". Not trying to speculate, but it is an observation. 

image.thumb.png.d14d67083829535ae8d45d5d29372dab.png

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, SlimyTrain said:

I was unable to get a picture of it, but I saw KOVR using a new boxed logo for a promo for Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies: Behind the Scenes for Saturday Night.

What was in the box?

The CBS Philly Vimeo has posted a few new imaging spots featuring a green theme and the new logo, that along with the fact that tv listings haven't reverted back to using the "Eyewitness News" name this week may point to something imminent (unless the user has actual inside info). 

IMG_0842.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

The CBS Philly Vimeo has posted a few new imaging spots featuring a green theme and the new logo, that along with the fact that tv listings haven't reverted back to using the "Eyewitness News" name this week may point to something imminent (unless the user has actual inside info). 

IMG_0842.jpeg

Having it horizontal actually looks a lot better than that stacked logo in previous spots.

I'll also say that definitely is vestigial given they aren't mentioning the 3 at all verbally.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10

1 hour ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Having it horizontal actually looks a lot better than that stacked logo in previous spots.

I'll also say that definitely is vestigial given they aren't mentioning the 3 at all verbally.

Honestly, that makes it even more puzzling. Why even ponder including the 3 if you’re not even mentioning it? Of course, this is assuming they even use that 3 as a visual brand for the station and its newscasts, and not just for promos or something.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Honestly, that makes it even more puzzling. Why even ponder including the 3 if you’re not even mentioning it? Of course, this is assuming they even use that 3 as a visual brand for the station and its newscasts, and not just for promos or something.

It's not surprising given that some of the other stations that are using the box logo aren't verbally using the old brand (see KTVT and WFOR). But yeah it goes to your point; why keep the old logos or in KYW's case keep the 3 at all. KYW is especially a strange case since they abandoned the old brand even before launching the new look and music.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

It's not surprising given that some of the other stations that are using the box logo aren't verbally using the old brand (see KTVT and WFOR). But yeah it goes to your point; why keep the old logos or in KYW's case keep the 3 at all. KYW is especially a strange case since they abandoned the old brand even before launching the new look and music.

Maybe each station is advocating for certain things (whether it's bringing back old branding, web sites, logo, #s, etc...) and CBS brass is, in some sense, placating them. Which is why I don't think the co- (or secondary) branding outside of the primary CBS News [....] is temporary or transitional as I don't see the point of taking that approach.

But I agree that if you're going to use a co- (secondary) branding like a channel #; it would make sense to use it verbally in some way not just visually.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, newsteam13 said:

How about bringing back that classic Group W 3 logo?

Or, at least roll over the existing Helvetica Extended “3” logo to the new design (like what KTVT and WFOR did).

Edited by T.L. Hughes