New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

5 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if KYW goes sans box and fully embraces the CBS News Philadelphia brand. Them moving towards the brand even before launching the new graphics and music kinda hints at them going in that direction. I think the Eye-3 logo goes away altogether when they do launch the new look.

Welllllllll...you're kind of correct. This logo has been plastered over on the station's creative services channel. While it hasn't launched, and could theoretically still change, it appears that the '3' isn't going away, entirely.

1382770139_2023-03-27(4).thumb.png.61f81526faff0299b4671586097c1056.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Concerned 3
  • Thought-Provoking 2
  • Angry 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:40 PM, patsx3 said:

The WBZ news at noon while showing a graphic promoting an upcoming interview with Robert Kraft that’s going to air during their 5pm news tonight was sporting the new o&o logo format. CBS News Boston with WBZ in a small box off to the left.

3F875302-578C-4057-B5EE-0EA8D4877694.jpeg

This call letter box is what I like.  Makes sense that WBZ is going the same route as KDKA and KPIX.  

I would’ve loved it if WWJ used the call letters box, but it makes sense that they didn’t.  There would be too much confusion between WWJ-TV and WWJ News radio 950. 

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Sad 1

I had to pull up the CBS Philly Vimeo because that screenshot felt like an April fool's prank. That 3 is... ridiculous. Absurd. Positively goofy. Also- it flies in the face of the "CBS Local News" rebranding and minimizing the old branding. The three is loose! No box, and towering over the "CBS News Philadelphia" logo.  Presumably it will be boxed when the graphics ultimately relaunch, but I don't like what I'm seeing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Welllllllll...you're kind of correct. This logo has been plastered over on the station's creative services channel. While it hasn't launched, and could theoretically still change, it appears that the '3' isn't going away, entirely.

Oooof. I kinda see where they're going with this. Really smacks of their late '80s logo: image.jpeg.f3f00c2d50b03bf7fbbd0e436afe9f13.jpeg

If that's the case they might as well have dug up the old 3 and used that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

It looks like someone dug up the old WRCV logo which was used before NBC got yeeted from owning channel 3 in 1965.

3F93F718-6548-43F4-A515-D4B9A37C23B5.jpeg.7b373276bdd672831bdd86b5c0b5558b.jpeg

That 3 is hideous. I thought the channel numbers were only staying as some sort of transitional phase. They're creating a totally different logo and making it much larger than the CBS News Philadelphia logo? And it looks like it is a few decades old. 

What a mess.

Edited by Geoffrey
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

That 3 is real as there is some station swag that someone posted on this site showing that exact 3.

It's not terribly expensive to make station merch. Just saying...

/sarc

Edited by Myron Falwell
forgot the /sarc tag
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

It's not terribly expensive to make station merch. Just saying...

/sarc

Yeah because in 2023 when stations can barely afford to keep staff on the payroll, they're wasting money buying decoy swag?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s strange, if the plan is to eventually rebrand all stations as CBS (city name) then I wonder why WBZ is now promoting their website as wbz.com. The bottom of the screen reads “The news is always on WBZ.com. It’s the first time their website has been promoted as anything but cbsboston.com in probably a decade.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, patsx3 said:

It’s strange, if the plan is to eventually rebrand all stations as CBS (city name) then I wonder why WBZ is now promoting their website as wbz.com. The bottom of the screen reads “The news is always on WBZ.com. It’s the first time their website has been promoted as anything but cbsboston.com in probably a decade.

KCAL is doing the same thing. I believe KDKA and WCCO do, too. It has never appeared as though this was a one size fits all approach to the brandings.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, patsx3 said:

I can see it coming down to which URL requires the fewest taps on a mobile browser.

"cbsboston.com": 13 characters

"cbsnews.com/boston": 18 characters

"wbz.com": 7 characters

"cbslosangeles.com": 17 characters

"cbsnews.com/losangeles": 22 characters

"kcal.com": 8 characters

• Like 2

3 hours ago, patsx3 said:

I assume that given the newscasts are branded WBZ News, they wanted to keep wbz.com. Regardless of what you type, you're re-directed to the cbsnews.com/city, state or region website so, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jase said:

I assume that given the newscasts are branded WBZ News, they wanted to keep wbz.com. Regardless of what you type, you're re-directed to the cbsnews.com/city, state or region website so, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

Absolutely, I’m not arguing with the rationale. It’s a much easier url to remember and type. 

The point I was trying to make is that it sort of contradicts some of the comments I’ve read here over the past month or two that local identities like WBZ News were going to be sidelined in favor of CBS (city name) either now or in the very near future. If they plan on rebranding to just CBS News Boston, they may as well have left it as cbsboston.com rather than reverting to WBZ.com.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, patsx3 said:

Absolutely, I’m not arguing with the rationale. It’s a much easier url to remember and type. 

The point I was trying to make is that it sort of contradicts some of the comments I’ve read here over the past month or two that local identities like WBZ News were going to be sidelined in favor of CBS (city name) either now or in the very near future. If they plan on rebranding to just CBS News Boston, they may as well have left it as cbsboston.com rather than reverting to WBZ.com.

Wendy McMahon basically said that the approach to the rebrand would be conducted on a market by market basis. There were some assertions made that WBZ and KDKA would drop their brands entirely because of the radio stations that share those call letters; as we know now, those assertions were inaccurate.

Edit: I probably asserted something here or there too, so my apologies.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I knew WBZ would follow the same route as KDKA and to a lesser extent, KPIX.  Those are all legacy stations.  Those traditionalists in the Boston, Pittsburgh, and Bay Area markets would all freak out if they completely went with CBS Boston/Pittsburgh/Bay Area.  KPIX is used for general programming and CBS BA for newscasts.

Question is, which route will KYW go?  I feel it’s going to go with the CBS Philadelphia route but I could be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Concerned 1

3 hours ago, patsx3 said:

The point I was trying to make is that it sort of contradicts some of the comments I’ve read here over the past month or two that local identities like WBZ News were going to be sidelined in favor of CBS (city name) either now or in the very near future.

Everything you read in this thread (and a majority of what’s discussed on this site) is pure speculation. Take it all with a grain of salt. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

I knew WBZ would follow the same route as KDKA and to a lesser extent, KPIX.  Those are all legacy stations.  Those traditionalists in the Boston, Pittsburgh, and Bay Area markets would all freak out if they completely went with CBS Boston/Pittsburgh/Bay Area.  KPIX is used for general programming and CBS BA for newscasts.

I can only speak for Pittsburgh, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment. There would be no mass freak out or loss of viewers. It would blow over in a day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I can only speak for Pittsburgh, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment. There would be no mass freak out or loss of viewers. It would blow over in a day. 

Having lived in Pittsburgh for 8 years, and in the greater Pittsburgh area for almost 19 years, I agree with your statement. Not many people would freak out.

12 minutes ago, Tyler said:

After reading comments from Pittsburgh viewers, I beg to differ.  To each it’s own.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CircleWXYZ said:

After reading comments from Pittsburgh viewers, I beg to differ.  To each it’s own.

Angry online comments ≠ accurate representation of anything, ever

The viewers who don't give a damn about the changes make up the majority opinion, and they're not leaving comments to say that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

They’re literally the same (only) people that would be up in arms if KDKA gave up the calls. And guess what, all those same people are still watching TV-2 after complaining on Facebook. 

Edited by Tyler
  • Like 3