New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Weather graphics haven't switched yet... I'm assuming they'll come this evening..

There are still quite a few stations who've debuted already still using the 2019 weather graphics today. I wouldn't hold your breath.

KDKA updated the “CBS News Pittsburgh” box, the time/temp/ticker boxes around 6:30pm to the gold color used this morning. Not sure if it was a technical goof or if people complained about the ticker being too dark.

Edited by JosiahCubed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

As for whiz next to join the collective:  we see you KYW in Philadelphia.  We see you watching your sister stations in Pittsburgh and NYC.  Come join the CBS collective lol.  Resistance is futile!!!

So, both WCBS and KDKA were able to keep their existing newscast branding. The odd part is that O&Os that opted to keep their news brand didn’t have separate logos created for the OTA newscasts that reflect their branding (similar to KCBS/KCAL), while the version using the “standardized” wordmark was saved for the local CBS News streaming channels. If the OTA newscast logos were formatted to reflect the newscast title, the “CBS News [city name]” wordmark would probably need to be placed in the box, using the stacked version of the CBS News logo and the city/region name in a smaller point size aligned properly with it. (Granted, that formatting might not translate entirely well in the L3 bug.)

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, T.L. Hughes said:

So, both WCBS and KDKA were able to keep their existing newscast branding. The odd part is that O&Os that opted to keep their news brand didn’t have separate logos created for the OTA newscasts that reflect their branding (similar to KCBS/KCAL), while the version using the “standardized” wordmark was saved for the local CBS News streaming channels. If the OTA newscast logos were formatted to reflect the newscast title, the “CBS News [city name]” wordmark would probably need to be placed in the box, using the stacked version of the CBS News logo and the city/region name in a smaller point size aligned properly with it. (Granted, that formatting might not translate entirely well in the L3 bug.)

I assume WCBS kept their branding to differentiate themselves from CBS News given they are both based in NYC and to prevent viewer confusion. In KDKA's case, the call letters/branding coupled with the gold/black color scheme is synonymous with the station that it made sense for it to remain.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jase said:

I assume WCBS kept their branding to differentiate themselves from CBS News given they are both based in NYC and to prevent viewer confusion.

That runs entirely contrary to the core point of the restructuring, to merge CBS News into the O&Os. Plus WCBS-TV and CBS News have been tied at the hip since the days of Jim Freaking Jensen.

The easiest explanation here is that WCBS management utterly and royally botched the rebrand. There is no excuse to keep any references to CBS 2 if the station outside of newscasts rebranded to “CBS New York” anyway. For the network flagship, this is just downright embarrassing.

1 hour ago, jase said:

In KDKA's case, the call letters/branding coupled with the gold/black color scheme is synonymous with the station that it made sense for it to remain.

Wouldn’t be surprised if CBS gave KDKA the option to change the color palette to see if it could even be possible (and potentially incentivizing the graphics package as customizable to affiliates). And that’s pretty much it. In a few months, “KDKA-TV News” will be retired in favor of “CBS News Pittsburgh” (which is what it already is referred to in a visual sense).

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

That runs entirely contrary to the core point of the restructuring, to merge CBS News into the O&Os. Plus WCBS-TV and CBS News have been tied at the hip since the days of Jim Freaking Jensen.

The easiest explanation here is that WCBS management utterly and royally botched the rebrand. There is no excuse to keep any references to CBS 2 if the station outside of newscasts rebranded to “CBS New York” anyway. For the network flagship, this is just downright embarrassing.

Wouldn’t be surprised if CBS gave KDKA the option to change the color palette to see if it could even be possible (and potentially incentivizing the graphics package as customizable to affiliates). And that’s pretty much it. In a few months, “KDKA-TV News” will be retired in favor of “CBS News Pittsburgh” (which is what it already is referred to in a visual sense).

Which why KD didn't go with the streaming branding for their OTA broadcasts like their fellow station since the Westinghouse days, KYW, did. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

KDKA updated the “CBS News Pittsburgh” box, the time/temp/ticker boxes around 6:30pm to the gold color used this morning. Not sure if it was a technical goof or if people complained about the ticker being too dark.

I have LOVED the new look until they've changed the box on the left from black to now gold. I had no issues with it... Or why can't they use the gold for the mornings blue in the afternoon and black at 10 and 11? And this... This has got to change... The severe weather crawl.

20230323_170803.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

I disagree. It has been well-known for some time that this entire process was going to be a collaborative one in which the legacy (whatever that may be) of each station would be taken into account with some flexibility when it came to graphics, logos, etc... That said, this is exactly what we're seeing.

Has this process/rollout been executed perfectly???? No... which is why certain things have been (and likely will continue to be) fixed/tweaked. 

I don't think the intent has ever been to make the look/sound of each and every CBS O&O be the same. That would be very unfortunate. 

Edited by jase
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I believe WWJ-TV had the option of using the entire CBS opening for its newscasts.  I know they have it available, as was shown in the demos.  However, the station opted to go with the shorter version.  Don’t agree with it at all, as they need to show images of Detroit.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that changes in a few months.  

As for who’s next to upgrade, I say it’s either between KYW, WJZ, and WBZ.

16 hours ago, C Block said:

I’m sorry, but that pee-stained Spirit Airlines vibe looks awful. They should have been forced to use the same colors like everyone else.

But then Pittsburgh peeps couldn't feel special about anything.

• Like 1

TVNT: hates when big corporations suck out the local personalities of their stations with standardization 

Also TVNT: hates when big corporations allow their stations to keep their local personalities by making it fit with standardization 

Make it make sense

Anyway, the site which we apparently cannot name for slightly petty reasons has actual quotes by actual decision makers.

Edited by froyo49
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, C Block said:

I’m sorry, but that pee-stained Spirit Airlines vibe looks awful. They should have been forced to use the same colors like everyone else.

Oh I agree. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the black bug and ticker. Now it just looks ridiculously awful.

• Like 4

On 3/23/2023 at 4:24 PM, C Block said:

I’m sorry, but that pee-stained Spirit Airlines vibe looks awful. 

Looks even worse on the streaming side. Hopefully someone recognizes this issue and fix it.

4D0CD6D1-0614-4A96-8616-F2EC28E4D276.thumb.jpeg.6b86ee71c6e1f3ba9b618c99931407c2.jpeg

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, nickInRoseville said:

it looks like KDKA is in breaking news mode 24/7 with the yellow bug/ticker

Or just breakfast mode. Someone there must really like morning news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The WBZ news at noon while showing a graphic promoting an upcoming interview with Robert Kraft that’s going to air during their 5pm news tonight was sporting the new o&o logo format. CBS News Boston with WBZ in a small box off to the left.

3F875302-578C-4057-B5EE-0EA8D4877694.jpeg

Edited by patsx3
  • Like 4

On 3/27/2023 at 1:40 PM, patsx3 said:

The WBZ news at noon while showing a graphic promoting an upcoming interview with Robert Kraft that’s going to air during their 5pm news tonight was sporting the new o&o logo format. CBS News Boston with WBZ in a small box off to the left.

3F875302-578C-4057-B5EE-0EA8D4877694.jpeg

This call letter box is what I like.  Makes sense that WBZ is going the same route as KDKA and KPIX.  

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

Minus KYW and plus KCAL, it’s beginning a trend with the former Westinghouse stations.

I wouldn't be surprised if KYW goes sans box and fully embraces the CBS News Philadelphia brand. Them moving towards the brand even before launching the new graphics and music kinda hints at them going in that direction. I think the Eye-3 logo goes away altogether when they do launch the new look.

• Like 1