New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

5 hours ago, 24994J said:

WJZ, not WJW, and KDKA hasn't used the Westinghouse 2 in 20 years.

Relax, it was a typo.

KDKA did fight to keep the Westinghouse era 2.  They fought for several years but eventually lost that battle in 2003.  This was when they officially used the CBS 2 logo, yet still branding itself as KDKA/TV

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

It’s a brand that is shared with a now-unrelated AM station that created a PR nightmare for channel 2 when Wendy Bell was flapping her gums. “KDKA” became a liability then and it will when one of the other talkers on the AM station says something incredibly stupid and inflammatory.

KPIX didn’t have a radio station sharing the callsign. That’s really why they kept the KPIX name for now. (WJZ will assuredly be doing the same as WJZ-FM doesn’t use the calls in their branding, but just have the equally boring black box logo.)

Here is how to fix the KDKA issue:  Just  call It CBS Pittsburgh but keep the KDKA call letter box.  This is probably why WWJ-TV doesn’t use the call letter box but just calls it CBS Detroit, in name and in logo.  They branded the station WWJ-TV from 2008-2012 but many confused it with WWJ AM 950.  This is probably one of the reasons why CBS eventually changed the name to ‘CBS 62.’

Edited by CircleWXYZ

I'll also add this, since it was brought up.  How much of a big deal is the Wendy Bell fiasco in 2023?  It's been 2 and a half years since she was taken off the air at KDKA Radio.  I don't follow her, I don't know if she's still on broadcast radio/TV or just on the internet.  She's never going to be back on KDKA anything, ever.  I would think by now many people have largely forgotten about her time on KD.  I could be wrong, though, as I don't actively follow her.

This is an aside, of course.  Back to the main topic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lanman said:

I'll also add this, since it was brought up.  How much of a big deal is the Wendy Bell fiasco in 2023?  It's been 2 and a half years since she was taken off the air at KDKA Radio.  I don't follow her, I don't know if she's still on broadcast radio/TV or just on the internet.  She's never going to be back on KDKA anything, ever.  I would think by now many people have largely forgotten about her time on KD.  I could be wrong, though, as I don't actively follow her.

I don't think its as big of a deal now. You don't hear much about KDKA radio these days (the controversies died down the moment they canned Wendy), so the brand isn't as "toxic" as it was a few years back. Not to mention the KDKA-TV branding is a lot stronger than the radio branding these days so they were able to overcome any controversy from the radio side.

I don't even know where Wendy is these days. She keeps bouncing around different radio stations in Pittsburgh that have a much weaker signal compared to AM 1020. She's basically an obscure nobody these days.

Edited by Mrtraveler01
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I would wager that CBS has done [or will do] their due diligence when is comes to deciding whether a station will continue to use its call signs, logos and the like.

As others have stated, viewers are going to continue to refer to a station the same way they always have and these changes being implemented by CBS isn't going to stop (or prevent that).

Granted the execution, thus far, hasn't be the greatest; once the rollout is complete, I'm curious to see how everything shakes out.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, lanman said:

KDKA radio carries a format where the hosts are likely to say outrageous things. It wouldn’t have mattered if KDKA radio and TV were under the same umbrella, but they are not, and it’s a brand sharing with underlying liabilities. So of course KDKA-TV is going to remove the call letter branding and go by “CBS Pittsburgh”. It’s the path of least resistance.

All this could have been avoided, by the way, if CBS ordered Entercom to change KDKA’s calls when it was sold. Sinclair made KOMO radio do just that when it was sold to Lotus, so nothing is sacred.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

All this could have been avoided, by the way, if CBS ordered Entercom to change KDKA’s calls when it was sold. Sinclair made KOMO radio do just that when it was sold to Lotus, so nothing is sacred.

I'm surprised it was a twenty-year grant of trademark for Audacy rather than just five. At least one situation's seemed to go well outside CBS; WTMJ-TV is "TMJ4", and WTMJ is still "Newsradio 620", and they both made clean breaks, while KMOV just changed it back in 1988 after being sold to Viacom I and there's never been an issue between them and 1120.

Meanwhile there wasn't much issue with the WBBM stations in Chicago (which has finished the "Newsradio 105.9" transition without much issue, and B-96 just mentions calls at the top of the hour). And KYW...at least "CBS 3"/"KYW Newsradio" is easy enough to differentiate. Even WCBS is fine with "CBS2", "CBS-FM" and "Newsradio 88" (which feels like it'll be sold off sooner than later with the WINS newsroom merger).

Then you have branding disasters like the LA/SF KCBS situation I mentioned a few pages back, and the WBZ stations with '''three''' different owners (and an FM with headache-inducing sports hot takes a la KDKA). The KDKA mess is a quagmire that can only be fixed with either a format blow-up (not happening) or AM being sunsetted (more likely), while KDKA-FM just kinda exists without a provocative sports format.

And this isn't CBS-related, but Disney just needs to pay off Cumulus already to yank the KGO calls of 810; they in no way should be associated with degenerates talking about betting on Montana State-Glendive vs. Central Tennessee Presbyterian girl's volleyball, and KABC might as well just be sold off to VCY already because it wouldn't even be a good station under Salem. WABC just has too much tradition and differentiation, though (not a station I'd listen to, but at least the billionaire is putting in effort there).

• Like 3

I also think KDKA, just like the silly little Pittsburgh Steelers fans, are stuck in the past.  They know they can’t resist the inevitable lol.  They will soon be called CBS News Pittsburgh.

Same with you  KYW.

Silly little traditionalists lol.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Concerned 1

Not sure if this means anything but WJZ is using the little black box on LinkedIn… maybe they’ll launch Monday with this new show?

F449FA57-C58A-4723-8A54-7B940457EB9C.jpeg

Edit: Looks like this didn't happen, and the other O&O set to launch today delayed due to issues with their new Chyron setup.

Edited by noggi
breaking nooz
  • Thought-Provoking 1

Visiting Denver for the weekend and had to tune in CBS Colorado News.

While the CBS Colorado box in the lower left is designed with the rest of the L3 in mind, I find it a bit large and distracting. Several times it covered up content on-screen, plus it sits on top of their legal ID, so all you see is “NC-TV Denver”

I also chuckled at Jim Benemann’s comment that the “graphics and music showcase our community” - generic graphics and nation-wide music don’t showcase the community. Music from a local composer (going back to the Jerome Gilmore days) more fits that IMHO…

I see that they’re using the term “Community Journalist” - wondering if they have renamed reporters this, or if certain reporters have certain “beats” that they cover, or if this is a case of a contract stringer…

Jim

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, compubit said:

I also chuckled at Jim Benemann’s comment that the “graphics and music showcase our community” - generic graphics and nation-wide music don’t showcase the community. Music from a local composer (going back to the Jerome Gilmore days) more fits that IMHO…

As if the bland-o WCBS graphics and Enforcer were any better. The uniqueness of KCNC withered away when CBS stripped out the last of the NBC look back in 2003…

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

The KPIX Late News format feels like trying to add a sprinkle of seasoning to otherwise bland food. CBS still cannot shake this inauthentic corporate looking format that they have on their local stations. Other than anchor personality, background music choices, graphics and how they write when they report all contribute to the "spice" of a station. Tegna has this issue to.

KTLA is a good example of a station that has cookie cutter corporate elements but still manages to have its own individualistic spark. Fox O&Os are also somewhat good at this too.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

For the first time since 2014, CBS News New York is bringing live morning news back to its sister station WLNY that'll air at 7am.

The station' previous incarnation, "Live from The Couch," aired from 2012 to 2014. It had a different premise, which was offering a bit of news, and a lot of interviews, and light-hearted segments. Obviously, this one is going to have complete news. 

**CORRECTION:** Updating this to note that WCBS has been airing morning news on WLNY for months now, and that they're now promoting it.

Edited by NewEgg00

18 minutes ago, NewEgg00 said:

For the first time since 2014, CBS News New York is bringing live morning news back to its sister station WLNY that'll air at 7am.

The station' previous incarnation, "Live from The Couch," aired from 2012 to 2014. It had a different premise, which was offering a bit of news, and a lot of interviews, and light-hearted segments. Obviously, this one is going to have complete news. 

They’ve been doing this for several months now; the promo is the only thing that’s new.