New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Looks like WBZ isn’t getting rid of its channel reference.  Just saw a promo for CBS News Boston and the CBS 4 WBZ logo was in a box, next ti the CBS News Boston logo.

Most likely a transitional logo not to confuse anyone with the OTHER WBZ that iHeart owns.

Plus WBZ-TV doesn’t even use “4” in the branding verbally, they only go by “WBZ” and have for over a decade.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3

So far the CBS stations to get rid of its channel reference:

KCBS

KPIX

WWJ

KDKA (coming soon)

Expected:

WJZ

KYW  (possible)

Won’t:

WCBS

WBBM

WBZ

On 2/2/2023 at 5:21 PM, lanman said:

The new look for KD is coming sooner than we think.  Check out this tweet:

It looks like KDKA doesn’t want to totally get rid of its channel reference, if that anchor desk is any indicator.  

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

Plus WBZ-TV doesn’t even use “4” in the branding verbally, they only go by “WBZ” and have for over a decade.

Same with KDKA. Hell, I don’t think they’ve ever used the “2” verbally since maybe the 90s. I would say it’s a Group W thing, but KYW hasn’t used its call letters in a long time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Weeters said:

That desk is 8 years old, recycled from the 2015 temporary set.

Oh well.  Looks like KDKA will indeed completely get rid of its channel reference.

My only complaint about WWJ is its opening,  I wish they would show more Detroit landmarks in the News opening.  I love the graphics but the opening is way too generic.

Also. talked sigh someone from WWJ and it looks like the morning newscasts will debut within a couple weeks.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Same with KDKA. Hell, I don’t think they’ve ever used the “2” verbally since maybe the 90s. I would say it’s a Group W thing, but KYW hasn’t used its call letters in a long time.

It’s WJZ. Maryland’s News Station.

(even though the logo reads as “CBS 13 WJZ”)

• Like 3

Do viewers think that because the logo is read like the way it is, it's meant to be said that way? I guess then YouTube should actually be called “Play YouTube”, the upcoming Super Bowl should be called “L-V-I-I Super Bowl”,  and FedEx should be called “Fed-Arrow-Ex”.

Now, I'm not saying no. Obviously, there's wordmarks on logos to help people know what it is called. Heck, there's even some logos without the wordmark, so it may be hard to tell what is it called, unless they are so popular you don't even need the wordmark. 

But I'm also saying some logos can include symbols that are meant to be there that includes words, but it's not meant to be said with the brand. So I'm pretty sure that what we're seeing in some of these new CBS News local logos are station symbols, because as I stated a time ago, CBS is researching which brand is more popular, which station should ditch the channel number, etc. I guess the stations that want to keep the channel numbers, this may be the route for their news counterparts. 

Edited by NewEgg00
Updated to provide more clarity and sense
  • Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 11:50 PM, Myron Falwell said:

That was 15 years ago. The industry and the consumer is not the same today as in 2008 and admittedly, Fox may have been way ahead of their time.

True. The reverse has happened happened over time. Fox stations used to be my fox (insert city.com) now they've opted to do it by channel number: fox5ny.com. Fox Chicago is now Fox 32. NBC and CBS are the only o&o with consistent network-city website brands. 

Removing the channel number branding should be easy for CW stations though as thats already the case in several markets. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, iron_lion said:

True. The reverse has happened happened over time. Fox stations used to be my fox (insert city.com) now they've opted to do it by channel number: fox5ny.com. Fox Chicago is now Fox 32. NBC and CBS are the only o&o with consistent network-city website brands. 

Removing the channel number branding should be easy for CW stations though as thats already the case in several markets. 

It's interesting to see the website URL evolution. Pre-MyFox, KSAZ was fox10.com and still owns that domain. I was baffled when they decided to become fox10phoenix.com post-MyFox. It then occurred to me that it was probably an SEO move.

58 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

KYW could be next in line. Zap2It’s schedule reads “CBS News Philadelphia at X” starting Monday.

Question is, will KYW get rid of its channel reference??

I think KDKA is right after KYW.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Question is, will KYW get rid of its channel reference??

Well they definitely won’t be using the black box with “KYW” as 1) they haven’t called themselves “KYW” for a generation and 2) there’s this little thing called KYW NewsRadio, which now has a wide-ranging partnership with WCAU.

”CBS Philadelphia” sounds about right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

According to Zap2It, KTVT is rebranding their newscasts to “CBS News Texas”.

Obviously, the CBS News Local standard makes news division names simpler. So, this is easily one of the simplest local news division names yet

• Like 3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoqbDL4rDf0/?igshid=MDM4ZDc5MmU=

Looks like WCBS was testing a revised background on its set earlier this week.  Note the large blue curves on the left and right sides of the background on the TV screen in this video.  Could we be close to a launch at WCBS?

Edit: Took a screenshot from Instagram to zoom in on the background.

16689383-18A1-42C2-8501-77E35EA7E593.thumb.jpeg.d335e0b818bc3537f44b120c68359e2d.jpeg

Edited by bc485
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

According to Zap2It, KTVT is rebranding their newscasts to “CBS News Texas”.

KCNC in Denver is going a similar route, branding itself as CBS News Colorado. Though I'm surprised considering they don't do a great job covering Southern Colorado, the Western Slope or Northern Colorado.

Calling KTVT CBS News Texas makes even less sense. CBS doesn't have enough resources to cover all of Texas. Should have stuck with CBS News DFW.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Calling KTVT CBS News Texas makes even less sense. CBS doesn't have enough resources to cover all of Texas. Should have stuck with CBS News DFW.

Not unless you have plans to expand your presence... and there's a bunch of CBS affiliates owned by one company that doesn't want to exist in places like Houston, San Antonio and Tyler.

Edited by Myron Falwell