New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

6 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

When KYW dropped EWN in '91, they were NewsDay (Morning), NewsBeat (Noon, 6pm), and The News Tonight (11pm) from 91-94 and then they were KYW News 3 from 94-98 and 3 brought back EWN in '98 and it stuck.

That rebrand made me make the switch to 3. Still a fan since '91. 

18 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

I hope CBS gives KYW some permission to keep “Eyewitness News” as a secondary brand, hopefully reporters still say it at the end of live shots.

I watched some of their newscasts yesterday. As @ThunderJay27 pointed out, they’ve already eliminated all verbal references to the “Eyewitness News” name (except for the intros). They’re ditching the brand, and it’s for the best. It may be associated with the station’s early history, but it’s also associated with a long period of low ratings, as well as the racism of the Dunn/Friend era (see this article; viewers even referred to the newscasts as “White-Witness News”). The name doesn’t carry the goodwill that it does in NYC, for example, where the “Eyewitness News” name actually fits the newscasts WABC puts out.

I know KYW wasn’t successful the last time they dropped the name, but this rebrand is nothing like the last one. They aren’t completely retooling the newscasts with people nobody knows. The anchors and reporters are all the same. They’re even making a conscious effort to heavily promote Ukee Washington. The only thing that’s changing is the presentation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Concerned 2

1 hour ago, bostonmediaguy said:

I'm curious how the legacy stations will (or in KPIX's case, do) brand outside of news. 

Does KPIX's syndicated programming bug or top of the hour legal ID have the CBS eye? Or is it simply the same box with the call letters?

KPIX uses the box logo during syndicated programming. AFAIK, they still use the old Group W logo for the legal ID during network programming.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyler said:

It wouldn’t make sense to use black/gold in a newsroom shot and blue elsewhere. 

Are we even sure that this is any part of the graphics package they’ll be using? It looks like an in-house mod of the logo just for that specific shot. There’s no L3 or bugs to speak of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I watched some of their newscasts yesterday. As @ThunderJay27 pointed out, they’ve already eliminated all verbal references to the “Eyewitness News” name (except for the intros). They’re ditching the brand, and it’s for the best. It may be associated with the station’s early history, but it’s also associated with a long period of low ratings, as well as the racism of the Dunn/Friend era (see this article; viewers even referred to the newscasts as “White-Witness News”). The name doesn’t carry the goodwill that it does in NYC, for example, where the “Eyewitness News” name actually fits the newscasts WABC puts out.

I know KYW wasn’t successful the last time they dropped the name, but this rebrand is nothing like the last one. They aren’t completely retooling the newscasts with people nobody knows. The anchors and reporters are all the same. They’re even making a conscious effort to heavily promote Ukee Washington. The only thing that’s changing is the presentation.

True… KYW was hardest hit by those racism allegation I’ve never seen Ukee (who deserves and now is the chief anchor) even get that emotional. I’m glad he’s the face of the station. Eyewitness News Is now an ABC since all there O&O are most-watched or #1 outright. 

• Like 3

On 2/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Eyewitness News Is now an ABC since all there O&O are most-watched or #1 outright. 

To be blunt, would anyone be surprised if ABC winds up wholesale rebranding their O&Os in the same way the CBS O&Os are? As @Weeters brought up to me, Wendy McMahon came to CBS from ABC, and did so after Bob Iger retired. Iger might really not be happy that Chapek just let her walk on over to a competitor the way she did.

Just because Action News is the Delaware Valley’s Leading News Program (Disney has to pay Apollo-Cox for the “Action” name) or Eyewitness News is “News York’s #1 News” (and Disney has to pay Paramount Global for the EWN name) doesn’t mean those names are ironclad. If CBS can get this new branding convention to work, the other three networks will follow. And no station will be immune, brand legacy be darned.

Nothing is ironclad or impenetrable. It might even be the reason why the ABC O&O graphic redo has been placed on hold indefinitely…

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Myron Falwell said:

To be blunt, would anyone be surprised if ABC winds up wholesale rebranding their O&Os in the same way the CBS O&Os are? As @Weeters brought up to me, Wendy McMahon came to CBS from ABC, and did so after Iger retired.

Just because Action News is the Delaware Valley’s Leading News Program (Disney has to pay Apollo-Cox for the “Action” name) or Eyewitness News is “News York’s #1 News” (and Disney has to pay Paramount Global for the EWN name) doesn’t mean those names are ironclad. If CBS can get this new branding convention to work, the other three networks will follow.

Nothing is ironclad or impenetrable. It might even be the reason why the ABC O&O graphic redo has been placed on hold indefinitely…

I thought Disney owned Action News wow, Eyewitness started in Philly than better crafted in New York. Hmm interesting.

4 minutes ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

I thought Disney owned Action News wow, Eyewitness started in Philly than better crafted in New York. Hmm interesting.

Apollo Global Management, which owns “Cox Media Group”, owns the trademark to Action News. Disney pays Apollo-Cox a fee to use the trademark on WPVI. (Disney DOES own “Move Closer To Your World”, which they bought after Mayoham Music went out of business.)

Paramount Global has the first-use service mark for “Eyewitness News” which Westinghouse registered and will keep ownership of it after KYW-TV drops the name (again). ABC has always licensed the name from Westinghouse—>CBS—>Paramount.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Just because Action News is the Delaware Valley’s Leading News Program (Disney has to pay Apollo-Cox for the “Action” name) or Eyewitness News is “News York’s #1 News” (and Disney has to pay Paramount Global for the EWN name) doesn’t mean those names are ironclad.

I dunno. WPVI tried to replace MCTYW with a modernized version of it and we saw how that turned out.

Both WPVI and WABC are number 1 in their markets respectively. They have less of an incentive to rebrand like the struggling CBS O&Os do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

I dunno. WPVI tried to replace MCTYW with a modernized version of it and we saw how that turned out.

Which happened 27 years ago. And unpopular opinion, the redone version wasn't that much better and should have been shelved. But MCTYW in the classic form is ridiculously dated, at least when compared to the iteration WNEP uses (which was kept because -- gasp!! -- it fits the Tegna graphics like a glove).

34 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Both WPVI and WABC are number 1 in their markets respectively. They have less of an incentive to rebrand like the struggling CBS O&Os do.

Those stations are #1 despite Disney basically not giving a crap about them and treating them like an afterthought.

Disney has not bought a station in the now-dead M&A mania because ABC remains such a low priority, it's all about the Pixar and the Marvel and the Star Wars product. Heck, they probably forget that they even own ABC.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Ctfu at the suggestion the station group that is consistently #1 would follow suit of the perennial bottom-dweller. 

It’d be like Walmart following Kmart’s lead 🤣

Edited by newscopter7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newscopter7 said:

Ctfu at the suggestion the station group that is consistently #1 would follow suit of the perennial bottom-dweller. 

Paramount Global is putting attention and care at the CBS stations for the first time in decades. They're beginning to implement changes sorely-needed in the industry that the other networks will imitate, including branding and identifiers. And yes, I will not be shocked if one day, WPVI rebrands to "ABC Philadelphia" and WABC becomes "ABC New York". It will absolutely happen.

"ABC 7" might mean WABC to you or WLS to someone in Chicago or KABC in Los Angeles, but they get drowned in a ton of other ABC 7s in social media and online portals. The current way of doing things is 100% unsustainable.

• Like 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

It has been longer since WPVI tried changing the music (1996-2023= 27 years) than it was between MCTYW debuting on the station and the attempt to change (1972-1996= 24 years). This is a fun piece of news lore, but it's also ancient history, and things are a LOT different today than they were in 1996.

They have been sneaking in new cuts of music for a while now. I can almost guarantee "modernizing" MCTYW would not get the same response as it did nearly 30 years ago. It would probably take days for anyone but the oldest, rustiest dial viewers to notice.

• Like 2
  • Thought-Provoking 2

3 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Paramount Global is putting attention and care at the CBS stations for the first time in decades. They're beginning to implement changes sorely-needed in the industry that the other networks will imitate, including branding and identifiers. And yes, I will not be shocked if one day, WPVI rebrands to "ABC Philadelphia" and WABC becomes "ABC New York". It will absolutely happen.

"ABC 7" might mean WABC to you or WLS to someone in Chicago or KABC in Los Angeles, but they get drowned in a ton of other ABC 7s in social media and online portals. The current way of doing things is 100% unsustainable.

This is why I eventually see WJBK becoming Fox Detroit, and WTTG, WNYW, and WAGA becoming Fox DC, Fox New York, and Fox Atlanta.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thought-Provoking 1

50 minutes ago, Weeters said:

They have been sneaking in new cuts of music for a while now. I can almost guarantee "modernizing" MCTYW would not get the same response as it did nearly 30 years ago. It would probably take days for anyone but the oldest, rustiest dial viewers to notice.

Let the whole Jim Gardner retiring thing settle before they start making other changes to the newscast, but to your point yes- it's likely they will make some modifications to the newscast at some point.

28 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

This is why I eventually see WJBK becoming Fox Detroit, and WTTG, WNYW, and WAGA becoming Fox DX, Fox New York, and Fox Atlanta.

That was already tried in the MySpace era.

WJBK-TV (Fox 2; Detroit, Mich.) :: Grabien - The Multimedia MarketplaceMyFoxAtlanta.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

That was already tried in the MySpace era.

WJBK-TV (Fox 2; Detroit, Mich.) :: Grabien - The Multimedia MarketplaceMyFoxAtlanta.png

That was 15 years ago. The industry and the consumer is not the same today as in 2008 and admittedly, Fox may have been way ahead of their time.

41 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Let the whole Jim Gardner retiring thing settle before they start making other changes to the newscast, but to your point yes- it's likely they will make some modifications to the newscast at some point.

To be honest, I don't think Jim Gardner would have cared if they changed to "ABC Philadelphia News" and unveiled a redo of MCTYW by Made Music a week before he retired.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

To be honest, I don't think Jim Gardner would have cared if they changed to "ABC Philadelphia News" and unveiled a redo of MCTYW by Made Music a week before he retired.

I’m like you and I’ll take it a step further, I don’t think Jim Gardner would have cared at all. These changes would have been made above his pay grade, he would have been happy just still doing the news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

WABC will not change the channel 7 branding as long as they broadcast over the air. It’s the only of the O&O stations that the ABC# didn’t work when the Disney mandate pushed through years ago. 

56 minutes ago, nynewsguy said:

WABC will not change the channel 7 branding as long as they broadcast over the air. It’s the only of the O&O stations that the ABC# didn’t work when the Disney mandate pushed through years ago. 

WABC’s branding is such an atrocious and inconsistent mess that it’s a miracle they’re number one in anything.

The “Disney Mandate” reads like another “CBS Mandate” to me, tbvh.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Allow me to clarify- I did not mean to suggest Gardner would have cared or not- but habitual viewers (I think the term rusty was thrown around earlier this week) would whine and complain if there was too much change at once (again, to clarify, are the possible complaints valid? I don't think so). They probably also call complaining that Ken Jennings is not Alex Trebek.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GodfreyGR said:

Allow me to clarify- I did not mean to suggest Gardner would have cared or not- but habitual viewers (I think the term rusty was thrown around earlier this week) would whine and complain if there was too much change at once (again, to clarify, are the possible complaints valid? I don't think so). They probably also call complaining that Ken Jennings is not Alex Trebek.

The majority of the “rusted dial” complainers are well over the 25–54 money demo. They’re the people who Sam Watterson markets to when pitching Old Glory Robot Insurance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3