New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

1 hour ago, CircleWXYZ said:

Apparently KDKA is going to be yet another CBS owned and operated station that’s going to do away with its channel reference, joining KCBS, KPIX, and WWJ.   Heard there’s a CBS News Pittsburgh logo with just the call letters “KDKA” to the left of it.  Unsure how I feel about this.  Yikes!!!

They've had this version of the logo on their website since its relaunch, though I haven't seen it on-air yet:

image.png.4b95ac64b5ac8739bbfacc7aa83f4b79.png

• Like 1
  • Angry 3

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Curious... Does anyone know what stations next to get the new graphics and music package? I wasn't sure if there was a list of who was getting them in chronological order.

Thanks

I have no idea. As far as I know, it’s been random (other than WWJ (CBS Detroit) being one of the first 3).

1 hour ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

They've getting a new newsroom. I have a feeling whenever they publicly reveal the new newsroom is when the rebranding will take place.

I believe they are debuting next week. Their Westmoreland County reporter tweeted that he was leaving that post to report from the new desk next week. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NewEgg00 said:

Well, the black and gold remains. Congrats to y'all black and gold fans. 

I never really understood why the black and gold color combo generated such passion on either side of the debate, but then again, I’m the most pedantic person I know, so who am I to judge?

I wasn’t a huge fan of how it looked on the outgoing package, but I could see that color combo working well with the new graphics. Just as long as they don’t do something stupid, like gold text on a black background (or vice versa).

Also, the new newsroom looks fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm also thinking that maybe the Black & Gold is only going to be seen on the flash cam monitor graphics.

Because aside from the past few years with the Black & Gold variant of the 2016 graphics, KDKA has followed the CBS O&O graphics mandates very closely.

• Thanks 2

On 2/2/2023 at 3:29 PM, CircleWXYZ said:

WCBS, WBBM, and KYW should be next.  KDKA is going to be in April or May.

There is heavy speculation that KDKA and KYW will indeed, rebrand their newscasts as CBS News Pittsburgh/Philadelphia.

I hope CBS gives KYW some permission to keep “Eyewitness News” as a secondary brand, hopefully reporters still say it at the end of live shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

I hope CBS gives KYW some permission to keep “Eyewitness News” as a secondary brand, hopefully reporters still say it at the end of live shots.

From what I've seen so far this week, the reporters are transitioning to the CBS News Philadelphia tag. So looks like the end of an era may be on the horizon. 

• Like 1
  • Concerned 1

49 minutes ago, ThunderJay27 said:

From what I've seen so far this week, the reporters are transitioning to the CBS News Philadelphia tag. So looks like the end of an era may be on the horizon. 

Gosh the Eyewitness News tag, Its dying only a handful carries them mostly ABC. I could probably count on my finger who still have it. KGO should pick it up, All non-action news ABC O&Os should have the title since they own it. 

• Confused 1
  • Concerned 5
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Gosh the Eyewitness News tag, Its dying only a handful carries them mostly ABC. I could probably count on my finger who still have it. KGO should pick it up, All non-action news ABC O&Os should have the title since they own it. 

Why would KGO ever want to use the former brand that one of its competitors used for decades?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Firstly, CBS owns the trademark to "Eyewitness News".

image.thumb.png.59f027c7eef0357cd7caa2b76a18b33c.png

Secondly, no. Both "Action" (which is owned by Cox!) and "Eyewitness" are cliché and ancient brands that do not need to be picked up by anyone not already using them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Concerned 1
  • Thought-Provoking 2

5 hours ago, ThunderJay27 said:

KYW didn't use the EWN name from 1991 until 1998, reclaiming it two years after Group W ceased to exist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myron Falwell said:

KYW didn't use the EWN name from 1991 until 1998, reclaiming it two years after Group W ceased to exist.

When KYW dropped EWN in '91, they were NewsDay (Morning), NewsBeat (Noon, 6pm), and The News Tonight (11pm) from 91-94 and then they were KYW News 3 from 94-98 and 3 brought back EWN in '98 and it stuck.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:27 PM, NewEgg00 said:

Well, the black and gold remains. Congrats to y'all black and gold fans. 

Where are we drawing this conclusion? Because there's a gold ring around the transitional logo in that first picture that can be easily excised?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

Where are we drawing this conclusion? Because there's a gold ring around the transitional logo in that first picture that can be easily excised?

Like I said yesterday, the black and gold is probably being relegated to the new flash-cam monitor in the newsroom.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JosiahCubed said:

Like I said yesterday, the black and gold is probably being relegated to the new flash-cam monitor in the newsroom.

It wouldn’t make sense to use black/gold in a newsroom shot and blue elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1