New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

No offense but the complains, if you can call them that,, are just petty.  Don’t care about the news stand.  Just want great news and so far, WWJ is doing a great job.  Delivery, graphics, and overall look are all top notch.  

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 1/11/2023 at 1:40 PM, Nick said:

It was a jolt to go through the Web site and see every reference to CBS 2,  CBS 2 News,  KCBS, etc absolutely gone.  The station that revolutionized local news in 1960,  the station of Dunphy,  Bill Stout, Clete Roberts,  Joseph Benti, Connie Chung, and others deserves something a little better than that --  even if its news ratings have been at the bottom of the heap for a long time.

KCBS-TV hasn’t been relevant since Bill Applegate made it an über-tabloid schlockfest in the early 1990s. “CBS 2” only serves to remind of how they’ve been trapped in mediocrity ever since.

Just because a station “revolutionized local news” — and the term is fairly subjective and varies wildly on a per market basis — doesn’t mean that branding should be trapped in amber and prevented from evolving.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

if we can keep it real, channel 2 hasn't been relevant in Los Angeles since April 1984. That was when KNXT became KCBS. The station that "revolutionized" local news was the former KNXT. I don't think KCBS has ever revolutionized anything in LA.

• Like 2
  • Thought-Provoking 1

Now that's nostalgic right there, with the information graphics. Feels like the old OTA NBC Weather Plus, or the News12 NY Weather and Traffic channels. Hope they keep it there, especially for streaming. 

Edited by NewEgg00

10 minutes ago, abric said:

While you may say the CBS2 in the box branding looks awful, that's the way it will eventually be for the remaining O&Os. To me it looks good on KCAL and KPIX.

Yes, but KCAL and KPIX only have the call letters in the box, not the presumably-soon-to-be-discontinued eye/number logo

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Dammit. That combined CBS2 in the box branding looks awful.

image.thumb.png.3bd149cfe462a00fad064b9c6dd9fccc.png

I get that they don’t want to confuse themselves with WCBS NewsRadio 88 or 101.1 CBS-FM, but this is why you don’t even bother with the black box.

Good grief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

KCBS-TV hasn’t been relevant since Bill Applegate made it an über-tabloid schlockfest in the early 1990s. “CBS 2” only serves to remind of how they’ve been trapped in mediocrity ever since.

Just because a station “revolutionized local news” — and the term is fairly subjective and varies wildly on a per market basis — doesn’t mean that branding should be trapped in amber and prevented from evolving.

I feel that former KCBS-TV director John Lipmann, who helped mastermind the "Action News" format in the 1990s, played a role in the perception of newscasts on the station as well.  I'm old enough to remember how over-the-top it was to watch at the time.

But, over the years, KCBS-TV is pretty much like those certain sports franchises that perennially have been plagued by poor management, that are close to, if not, last in the team standings and quite a few players (in this case, reporters and anchors) who leave to go to other teams (the competitors across town, etc.).

Edited by CraigViewer
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, kshow said:

This is new for WCBS today. 

For the non-CBS ads, do they charge the same ad rates as if those advertisers had full screen ads? I know this has been done during some sports games for a few years, but I am curious to know how that works. If I were an advertiser I would want to have a full screen so that there aren’t other things distracting the viewers from the ad I am paying for.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2023 at 6:42 AM, FiveNews said:

if we can keep it real, channel 2 hasn't been relevant in Los Angeles since April 1984. That was when KNXT became KCBS. The station that "revolutionized" local news was the former KNXT. I don't think KCBS has ever revolutionized anything in LA.

I might not have expressed it right.   I noted that KNXT introduced the nation's first hour-long newscast in 1960,  that didn't necessarily mean that had any bearing on the recent re-brandings.   That call-letter change was certainly a big thing, though the station brandings at the time changed not at all.  "Channel 2 News" even kept the 1978 opens with the old logo until early in 1985.  I noted that the visage of Jerry Dunphy was shown in KCAL promos;   one might have thought his Los Angeles anchoring career began at Channel 9 in 1989.  But then I freely admit I am an old fashioned sort!

On 1/29/2023 at 9:34 PM, abc7 Man said:

For the non-CBS ads, do they charge the same ad rates as if those advertisers had full screen ads? I know this has been done during some sports games for a few years, but I am curious to know how that works. If I were an advertiser I would want to have a full screen so that there aren’t other things distracting the viewers from the ad I am paying for.

I was wondering about this, too. I wouldn't want anything distracting from my message. However, on the other side, perhaps the countdown keeps viewers more likely to stay on the channel and paying attention to something on the screen, and more likely to hear the ad.

So, maybe in the end, it cancels out? Though, if that were the case, then this would probably be a permanent feature everywhere. So maybe I'm wrong. 🙂

KCAL/KCBS is an absolute disaster.  I can’t bare to watch any of their newscasts.  WWJ so far, is way better and CBS News Detroit just debuted 8 days ago.

Obvious WWJ is somewhat modeling themselves after KDKA.  Not surprising, since KDKA Pittsburgh is actually one of the better CBS O&Os.

• Like 2

Apparently KDKA is going to be yet another CBS owned and operated station that’s going to do away with its channel reference, joining KCBS, KPIX, and WWJ.   Heard there’s a CBS News Pittsburgh logo with just the call letters “KDKA” to the left of it.  Unsure how I feel about this.  Yikes!!!

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 1

As I am sure everyone knows, I for one welcome this new era. WBZ, when I tune to you, I better hear CBS News Boston being announced. 

Okay...maybe they'll stick with WBZ News. But you know, you never know.

But I understand that not everyone here is welcomed to this change. The call letters, the number, the font of it on the logo, it's iconic. And when you see it gone, for some, it's like a sad thing. It's like losing a nice painting you had in your house for years. So, I feel for you guys that may not like it. 

Edited by NewEgg00
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Concerned 1