New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

44 minutes ago, SFTV said:

That part!

NBC was ahead of its time look at NBC Bay Area, and NBC Connecticut. They have been doing well without the channel reference.

Boston and San Diego had a short lived branding until it decided to bring back the channel numbers.

KNTV never was able to settle on a number (3/11). WVIT is 30. 

It’s a bit different with KPIX 5.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

I like it, it's plain but it's clean. Though, if you're going to brand your newscasts "CBS News Bay Area," wouldn't it be more logical to brand as "CBS Bay Area"? Just my 2 cents.

They already have CW Bay Area, so it would only make sense (and speaking of, is the "Cable 12" appendage from the pre-UPN days really needed now? In a major tech hub where most don't have cable?).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

They already have CW Bay Area, so it would only make sense (and speaking of, is the "Cable 12" appendage from the pre-UPN days really needed now? In a major tech hub where most don't have cable?).

CW Bay Area was dropped when KPIX dropped CBS 5 / CBS 5 Eyewitness News in 2013 in favor for call letters. 

they are branded as KBCW and KBCW 44 cable 12. With their heavy jingle imaging “44 cable 12” promos that air throughout the day 

https://youtu.be/GSTLBPVjnHE

Edited by SFTV
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SFTV said:

CW Bay Area was dropped when KPIX dropped CBS 5 / CBS 5 Eyewitness News in 2013 in favor for call letters. 

they are branded as KBCW and KBCW 44 cable 12. With their heavy jingle imaging “44 cable 12” promos that air throughout the day 

https://youtu.be/GSTLBPVjnHE

I realized that after I posted, of course. Thanks for reminding me of something I felt trauma from hearing (no offense to those in the actual videos). 🥺

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like the branding more if a) CBS weren’t integrating their stations news departments into CBS News and b) they weren’t simulcasting an hour on KCBS. When you’re relaunching KCAL with only minimal references to CBS News LA (which I’m sure we’ll see on KCBS), it runs counter to what they’re trying to do, especially when KCAL News is going to stream on the CBS News LA streaming channel.

I guess they want to leverage the KCAL brand, given that KCBS has never had much luck in that market. When you consider that, I guess calling it KCAL News makes sense in the short term.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie

6 hours ago, caliwxdude said:

If they're producing promos for a "new KCAL" with the existing KCAL9 lockup, doesn't seem like they're moving away from the KCAL9 brand anytime soon. 

Also who launches new stuff on a Thursday?

Based on the pictures and video, this is proven false... KCAL News it is

So my question is, how will the sets be utilized? Will everything originate from the new set only. Is the new set for mornings and the KCBS set for evenings. Or will it continue as the new set for KCAL only and KCBS continues with their current set?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Drew said:

Main page of cbsnewslosangles has an interview with new KCAL NEWS MORNINGS co-anchor showing some new graphics and logos.

image.thumb.png.b189da6aabb3818ede98c1ccc0f2efe4.png

It looks nice. Better than the hot mess that was KCAL CBS News Los Angeles. I would bet the rest of the shows on KCAL will be CBS News LA on KCAL or KCAL News Los Angeles.

No, it's looking like all broadcasts are branded as KCAL News, regardless of what station it's on:

12 hours ago, CalItalian2 said:

Starting Thursday 1/5, ALL CBS 2 news listings on my Spectrum guide now show KCAL News on CBS Los Angeles no matter the time of day. Such as "KCAL News at 11p on CBS Los Angeles". 

1 hour ago, noggi said:

So apparently the key to building ratings growth is:

new set

confusing/mediocre branding 

more hours of news than anyone else

It really would’ve helped if they’d actually promoted the damn thing instead of waiting for the 11th hour to do it. It made sense to move most of the local news to a station that actually gets ratings, but the branding is going to be confusing, and is counter to what CBS is doing in the rest of the country. Not even WCCO, arguably their most successful station, is going to get this treatment (I know it’s because of the radio station, but still). Is CBS so damaged as a brand in LA that they have to put the KCAL name on everything?

That set does look fantastic, though. I’ll give them that.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 4