New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

Also, I don't get all the disappointment. All the signs of what this package was going to be have been laying around since the start of this thread, and should have become clearer when CBSN was launched and the overhaul of the network package. If you thought it was going to be anything else, you weren't paying attention.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Bsean said:

Also, I don't get all the disappointment. All the signs of what this package was going to be have been laying around since the start of this thread, and should have become clearer when CBSN was launched and the overhaul of the network package. If you thought it was going to be anything else, you weren't paying attention.

What's so cool about this is that for the first time ever in America (please correct me if I'm wrong),  we have a local and national media outlet sharing a design language with the graphic packages.

From the CBS Evening News, Streaming, and the locals, they match together. Great identity system. 

Edited by NewEgg00
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bsean said:

This forum is very nostalgia heavy, and most here have an extreme attachment to graphics and their local stations (see the argument about Pittsburgh needing everything to be black and yellow) Nothing new will ever be ok unless it keeps the same colors, names, numbers, style, anchors, sets, bumpers, idents, while also being new, fresh, exciting, up to date, and representing their area with little call backs and touches that bring a tear to your eye and you can say "That's my station". 

It's pretty funny when you look at it objectively. Times are changing, get over it.

14 minutes ago, bostonmediaguy said:

Is the headline ticker present on the KPIX feed; or is it just on the OTT streaming feed?

I'm also confused by the lack of weather, sports scores, etc. from the ticker. What's the point?

Apparently the point is to show headlines, which is what it does.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Briella said:

This forum is very nostalgia heavy, and most here have an extreme attachment to graphics and their local stations (see the argument about Pittsburgh needing everything to be black and yellow) Nothing new will ever be ok unless it keeps the same colors, names, numbers, style, anchors, sets, bumpers, idents, while also being new, fresh, exciting, up to date, and representing their area with little call backs and touches that bring a tear to your eye and you can say "That's my station". 

It's pretty funny when you look at it objectively. Times are changing, get over it.

Nicely said. Things change, just gotta get with the times. These news organizations are struggling (most don't even look for sweeps periods anymore) - who really watches the news anymore?

We get our information from social media. I would side eye an organization if they weren't making changes right now...

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, bostonmediaguy said:

Is the headline ticker present on the KPIX feed; or is it just on the OTT streaming feed?

I'm also confused by the lack of weather, sports scores, etc. from the ticker. What's the point?

The ticker and bug is the same on TV and streaming.

Edited by Georgie56

To me this rebrand looks great and is extremely forward-looking to the way people get their news and info today. Call letters and channel numbers don't hold the cache they did 50 years ago in TV's golden age. If the network brand has a stronger affinity than the local stations (especially most CBS locals which have always placed in 3rd or 4th) why not lean into it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I second that. But I give it a year and then they'll reverse it back to CBS Mandate.

There was never a “CBS Mandate”. In every aspect, the station group was a total mess design-wise, with inconsistent branding, inconsistent logos, a music package (Enforcer) that kept getting worse with each passing generation, an okay-ish graphics pack by WCBS forced on everyone because past leadership was too miserly and didn’t care. And that’s not counting WJZ and the garish mess they deteriorated into.

What is happening now is a TRUE CBS Mandate. Every station is on board… even KCNC, and they’re one of the few bright spots in the entire chain.

This is not only here to stay, I expect that ramifications for branding conventions to occur at the affiliate level before too long.

(PS: be sure to click the link 🤣)

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If I went to a focus group and played them the Enforcer theme, I bet only one person at most would recognize that as "the theme for my local newscast" or know that it (in most of the country) has anything to do with CBS. I said in Discord on March 8, 2021, "honestly? I bet Average Joe Viewer couldn't make the connection between Enforcer, CBS Local and...CBS." I later called it "some ditty that most people don't even realize is associated with CBS local news for reasons far from them in time and space". And I stand by those words.

Shelly Palmer and later Frank Gari sold that theme mostly to CBS affiliates because of the use of the theme at the CBS O&Os. (Of course, non-CBS affiliates have used the mnemonic—including WVIT and KRIV, O&Os of other networks—and even in some cases had their own versions made, like WHTM's Sheldon Elias-done remix.)

The whole point of a brand mnemonic is to provide that familiarity across platforms and expressions. It's really fitting for the News and Stations structure of CBS. This is the same network where the background of the CBS Evening News lists bureaus in Rome, Johannesburg, London...Sacramento and Baltimore.

By doing this overhaul in the way they have, CBS has

• Built on one of its few strengths in the area of local news, the streaming channels.
  • Recognized (at least here with San Francisco) that the newscasts have been titled to be replayable in a loop on CBS News.
  • Executed a brand hierarchy that is forward-thinking and geared to the content-flowing-like-water mantra of Adrienne Roark etc. At the same time, the call letters are being used to reassure viewers in certain markets with especially entrenched or viewed CBS local news brands that this is the same newscast they're used to watching.
  • Brought the local stations news in line with the network news and the network as a whole. If the goal is to improve the reputation of the local product based on CBS News, this will help.
  • Provided a much-needed visual rejuvenation to the local news product.
  • Created an up-to-date look that should help the stations to at least some extent in ratings combined with other improvements to the news product.
  • Broken with the look and feel that stagnated around the CBS stations chain in the Dunn–Friend era.
Edited by Samantha
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Briella said:

Its almost like everything that happened between 1985 and 1995–Chris Crane dissonant chord music, sets with corrugated metal panels and video walls, flashy flying graphics, crime-crime-crime-all-the-time—needs to be ensconced in amber and abided by for all eternity, and any deviation from this by a station or owner is Somehow Very Bad. cough cough Tegna cough cough

To be honest, WSVN (the station that is seemingly subject to the most nostalgia) is still its old flashy self because Miami is an outlier of a market. An aberration. WFOR under this CBS revamp would be taking a position unlike any other station in town, which I’d prefer over having them be Another WSVN Knockoff or Another Generic Newscast (as took place with Dunn-Friend) and languishing in obscurity.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just adding in that it's a really nice rebrand. The overall downturn in local TV news has hit KPIX especially hard over the last few years, and the product has really fallen into the cellar of the Bay Area market. Yeah we'll miss the old Group W-style 5 (however it was starting to look really old), but I can't tell you the last time I used the channel number buttons on my remote now that almost all of my linear TV viewing is via streaming services.

All in all a nice step up for PIX.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Briella said:

Considering that you’ve got 10 people liking your post, and that a sizable number of people in this particular thread have offered nothing but uncritical praise for what CBS is doing, your perception is mistaken. Yes, there are people who don’t like it, and prefer stations to have individual characteristics, but that’s their prerogative. They’re allowed to have an opinion too.

As far as my personal feelings are, I really like this rebrand. The graphics are miles beyond what they replaced, and IMO, they’re the second best looking local news package out of the US that I’ve seen (the best being NBC’s). although I’m not a fan of the way they use the call letters in what is very likely a temporary branding. The call letters in a box don’t look good next to the “CBS News X” really look sloppy IMHO. (EDIT: I probably should’ve noticed that already, but I really notice it now having seen it on air). I get that they’re trying to transition things over, but they’ve already been doing that for more than a year. In KPIX’s case, I don’t think the anchors/reporters even mention KPIX once. If you’re going all in on CBS News, go all in now.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Considering that you’ve got 10 people liking your post, and that a sizable number of people in this particular thread have offered nothing but uncritical praise for what CBS is doing, your perception is mistaken. Yes, there are people who don’t like it, and prefer stations to have individual characteristics, but that’s their prerogative. They’re allowed to have an opinion too.

As far as my personal feelings are, I really like this rebrand. The graphics are miles beyond what they replaced, and IMO, they’re the second best looking local news package out of the US that I’ve seen (the best being NBC’s). although I’m not a fan of the way they use the call letters in what is very likely a temporary branding. The call letters in a box don’t look good next to the “CBS News X” really look sloppy IMHO. I get that they’re trying to transition things over, but they’ve already been doing that for more than a year. In KPIX’s case, I don’t think the anchors/reporters even mention KPIX once. If you’re going all in on CBS News, go all in now.

They still mention “KPIX 5’s *reporters name* has the latest” the website is still referred to KPIX.com 

I’ve yet to see new mic flags

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

The thing about nostalgia-driven posters is that they’re usually the loudest people in the room. It’s easy to see how the perception takes root.

Said posters can have their opinions on CBS going for unified branding and music not Enforcer being A Bad Thing but CBS is doing this because they see it in the best interests of the network and their station group. The execs in charge have determined that The Old Way Of Doing Things is no longer going to work.

Edited by Myron Falwell
clarify
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SFTV said:

They still mention “KPIX 5’s *reporters name* has the latest” the website is still referred to KPIX.com 

I’ve yet to see new mic flags

You’re right, my mistake. Sorry

33 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

There is a significant contingent of nostalgia-driven posters and they’re usually the loudest people in the room.

They can have their opinions on CBS going for unified branding and music not Enforcer being A Bad Thing but CBS is doing this because they see it in the best interests of the network and their station group. The execs in charge have determined that The Old Way Of Doing Things is no longer going to work.

I mean, I totally agree that CBS needs this shakeup, but I can understand the criticism on some level (and I think it goes beyond music and channel numbers). For all the corniness about the way American stations have continued to identify themselves, it at least gives the impression that your station belonged to your community and not some faceless corporate entity (reality notwithstanding, of course). That’s not to say that CBS O&Os have felt that way (especially under the old management), but some of the vestiges of unique identity were still there. That’s going away now, even at the legacy stations, and one could be forgiven if they felt that their local outlet didn’t really belong to them anymore. Again, not that David Friend cultivated that sense of belonging, but the vestiges were still there.

That being said, you’re right, it had to be done. CBS is too big of a company to have most of their stations flailing in the ratings and being irrelevant. The association with CBS News definitely grants them some level of prestige IMO. It’s just that losing local characteristics comes with its own risks. Considering the state of most of those stations, though, I think it’s more than worth it, and at least they’re trying *something* with them.

• Like 2

This is what a forward-looking news organization looks, sounds, and feels like. I'm sure there will be people upset that the "Westinghouse channel numbers" and "iconic" other cruft disappears, but these stations existed before that stuff came around, and will exist after. Most of these stations never had a firm "logo" for their first 20 years of existence and they did just fine, without "confusing" anyone. 

Most of these logos have outlived several generations of logos at major brands. I'm still not sure why it's seen as important for a local television station in Baltimore or Pittsburgh or wherever to keep the same logo forever, while major companies like United Airlines or Hyatt Hotels get to update theirs just about every decade. TV has this bad history of treating viewers like they are absolute idiots. "Oh, we can't change anything because someone out there might get 'confused'." If someone told me RJ Fletcher's speech in UHF about the "pea-brained yokels" watching TV in his market was based on real worlds said by a real TV station GM, I would not be that surprised.

There's nothing wrong with a little nostalgia, but it can't get in the way of progress. When a station branded as "TV 7" in 1954, that's because that's where it was. On TV. On Channel 7. That was it. The first signs this branding didn't work in the modern era came in the late 90's when every "ABC 7" and "NBC 4" was fighting for a relevant web domains. Then came Social Media. If I go on Twitter right now and search for "ABC 7" this is what comes up:

image.thumb.png.2630687783d5b574f6fcc91bf41b135b.png

Talk about "Confusing viewers" when the first one offers no way of identifying which station it is, and looks identical to the rest of the ABC7s there. No, most viewers do not know offhand how to differentiate between the different Circle 7s out there. There is no confusing where these CBS stations are located. I don't buy into these stations "losing" any "local flavor" with this branding, because locality is baked into the heart of it. You can be any one of a bunch of "CBS 2s" out there, but there's "only one" CBS News Chicago. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Thank for saying this in a much more polite, eloquent way than I wanted to. The "NEW GOOD, OLD BAD" attitude of said poster in this and another thread has rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason, but painting this community with such a belittlingly broad brush struck a nerve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Thank for saying this in a much more polite, eloquent way than I wanted to. The "NEW GOOD, OLD BAD" attitude of said poster in this and another thread has rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason, but painting this community with such a belittlingly broad brush struck a nerve.

The way I see it, Briella isn't wrong, but neither is nycnewsjunkie, and neither are you.

It's the old adage of "perception is reality"... or more accurately, perception can become a person's reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I still would've wished that our digital transition in the US would've solidified network channel numbers hell or high water. Fox has different channel numbers and managed to work things out, but it would've been a lot easier if we had went the Mexican transition direction, let a network pick a number nationwide and CBS was on 2, NBC on 4, Fox on 5, ABC on 7...etc. (and if you lost your affiliation a la WJMN, WZMQ got 2 and WJMN would be bumped down to whatever number Fox scrounged up for MNTV). Even the Canadian direction where all the networks/systems pretty much killed channel numbers altogether would have been better.

Sadly outside a couple of outliers who tried (Tribune with that channel 72 attempt that died the moment WGN, WPIX and KTLA 'lol no'ed the idea, though I think that was more for interactive services that never panned out), it just never took root and the PSIP system in the US, instead of allowing a one-time remapping opportunity, just had the virtual channel system hobbled with legacy numbers and ideas like KCEN trying to move from 6 to 9 for a year and somehow getting 'feedback' that they were wrong and had to reverse back. Or those who did try to move from an absurd channel like 65 get yelled at by the FCC and other broadcasters for daring to take channel 10 even though nobody else in 150 miles had it.

PBS is finally forcing their stations to have a unified logo and identifier, something that's been long needed, and it might be time for the major networks to do the same. And when most pay homes these days just tune to the network identified on YouTubeTV or Hulu, or say, channel 604/1004 for NBC in HD instead of 4 in SD...is there any need to hold onto 2-69 numbers?

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

My 2¢…

i like the graphics and theme. It’s not Enforcer, but is unifying across Local, National, and Streaming.  (Though the L3’s did give me a Tegna vibe the first time I watched a clip). The KPIX in the box by itself does look a little weird to me, but it serves 2 purposes: differentiates between local and national news (one gripe I have had with CTV in Canada, though it may be better now…), and reminds people that know, that it’s still the same station (at least here - no comment about the KCAL/KCBS situation)

I will miss the station branding of “Channel 5/KPIX 5/CBS 5” (I do like numbers), but the 5 is just an abstraction of an identifier from an earlier time in TV (shouldn’t it now technically be KPIX 29…).  If you use the 5, shouldn’t you also use 805 Comcast HD  channel number, as well as the 3350 “Channel number” on Pluto TV?

As long as the station is doing something to bring eyeballs to the news, then it keeps going. If eyes aren’t watching, we’ll end up with 18 hours of Jerry Springer repeats between ever-shrinking network programming blocks.

Jim

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Syndicated programming now with the updated bug.

If that’s the case, makes me wonder what the new mic flags will look like.

1A334192-E488-4EEE-AA76-80D31FE5BD34.thumb.jpeg.9a00c4da7d0f9169a129dac1a6d18356.jpeg

I like it, it's plain but it's clean. Though, if you're going to brand your newscasts "CBS News Bay Area," wouldn't it be more logical to brand as "CBS Bay Area"? Just my 2 cents.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

I like it, it's plain but it's clean. Though, if you're going to brand your newscasts "CBS News Bay Area," wouldn't it be more logical to brand as "CBS Bay Area"? Just my 2 cents.

That part!

NBC was ahead of its time look at NBC Bay Area, and NBC Connecticut. They have been doing well without the channel reference.

Boston and San Diego had a short lived branding until it decided to bring back the channel numbers.

• Like 3