New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

I'm rather disappointed. Even though I am opposed to the new numberless branding, I expected to like the new graphics. That bug is huge and it looks like a copy and paste of the CBS News streaming package (which is the point, I get it).

Didn't think they could do worse than the outgoing O&O package but this feels lifeless to me.

I expect a return to numbers within two years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Full 3pm newscast

25 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I'm rather disappointed. Even though I am opposed to the new numberless branding, I expected to like the new graphics. That bug is huge and it looks like a copy and paste of the CBS News streaming package (which is the point, I get it).

Didn't think they could do worse than the outgoing O&O package but this feels lifeless to me.

Most of the O&Os were struggling, even with the channel numbers. What do they have to lose with this?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I second that. But I give it a year and then they'll reverse it back to CBS Mandate.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:13 PM, Briella said:

The obsession with numbers and call signs is going to be your undoing. It’s weak branding and a relic of the old age. This is the future, I think you will be disappointed when rather than numbers coming back, call signs go away altogether.

Honestly I have to agree, I really would like to know how the whole "call sign/ call number branding" came to be as it's uniquely American and confusing for international spectators. You have "Global News BC" "BBC Look North" "9 News Queensland" but not "ABC Philly News" or something I don't know. Was it because early station owners wanted to be more unique or something more complicated?

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

In the interest of not pushing this thread on more of a tangent, numbers were used in branding because of 1) multiple national networks in the us, 2) non standardized numbering by area, 3) the need to let people know where to find their station due to 1 and 2. 4) It just became easy in a world with just 12 channels to reference the number. 

now with how global things are, having to compete with entities that don’t have a “number” or call sign, the numbers and call signs are very limiting. 

Edited by Briella
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

I wouldn't be so sure. It seems like CBS is all in on this new branding standard. If anything, I'd say the box with the call letters on some stations like KPIX is just a transitional brand until people get more familiar with CBS News Bay Area and then the box will go away.

I mean it doesn't look like every station is getting box with call sign, only the select few with legacy brands that may be hard to just cut off right away. I.e. KDKA, WBZ, WJZ, KPIX, etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KentBrockman said:

I mean it doesn't look like every station is getting box with call sign, only the select few with legacy brands that may be hard to just cut off right away. I.e. KDKA, WBZ, WJZ, KPIX, etc.

From what we’ve seen, a couple of non-Group W stations like KCAL/KCBS and WBBM might be doing the call letter box as well. It’s kinda warranted for the former since KCBS newscasts will go by “KCAL News” going forward.

Very interested to see what KDKA does with the new graphics.  I say they will also use the call letter box, since the station does indeed use “KDKA-TV/KDKA-TV News” as its branding.

I don’t see WWJ using the call letters box at all.  They will just call themselves “CBS Detroit/CBS News Detroit.”  Could be wrong though.  We’ll find out in less than a month.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

What the hell are they going for with this? The walk out and late night talk show open is weak.

I think they are going for her walking in from the street after getting the story, since in the opening she walking around. 

I think it's creative, and a much needed breathe of fresh air. I honestly like the approach KPIX is taking with this rebrand. The nod to the past with the naming of all the evening broadcasts to include the anchor's name and blending it with different presentation styles that aren't just having someone glued to the desk. 

Stations spend all this money to add all this technology and promise that it's going to revolutionize how they tell stories, only to continue with the same approach. I'd like to see more stations step a bit further outside of box, like this, and use all those AI tools, use the set to it's full potential and not hang around the desk so much.

Yes, it's a bit rough around the edges right now, but this could really be good once refined.

Edited by Bsean
  • Like 6