New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

On 11/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, TexasTVNews said:

I don't like the changes on KCBS & KCAL not one bit. The expansion, I'm alright with it (if the ratings are good). But KCAL CBS News Los Angeles... NO WAY! I wish the CBS (Television) News & Stations leaves the names as it is like CBS 2 News and KCAL 9 News. I would be alright for CBS 2 Morning News and KCAL 9 Morning News as well.

It's too much of a mouthful. CBS News New York NOW on WLNY etc..

CBS News comes off as clueless at this point. They don't seem to get that their news product is generic, and that streamlining everything into that same generic format just adds to the problem.  CBS O&O's local newscasts have no personality or originality. They reek of corporate blandness.

Channel numbers are becoming less relevant, but I wouldn't say they should be dropped from branding all together. 

On 11/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, qunewsguy said:

Likely because all of the local talent they hired has zero name recognition in the market?

This! New talent has to get a chance, but just reporting the news isn't enough. There has to be some personality and flair to it , which a lot of the newer talent lacks. People can get their news from anywhere. You as a station have to give them a reason to come to you (within the boundaries of good journalism of course).

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, NewEgg00 said:

I agree. It's good to see CBS O&Os streamline its stations with the national CBS News instead of having cluttered brands scattered across the country. 

And it kinda reminds me of the BBC. They have regional stations tied together as one with their branding, like BBC East, BBC London, etc. 

So to have streamline branding with the local-to-national target, it's a good thing, IMO. 

It's also good to see station call letters in the brand as well to still give stations credit and recognition for content they're producing as part of the approach.

As for numbers on the old logos, I could be wrong, but some cable companies may not have CBS3, for example, on the actual Channel 3, so it's good to get rid of it as CBS O&O news outlets are not only on cab/sat, but streaming as well.

The only complaint is that it's taking forever for the new graphics to come about. We should be seeing them by now.

CBS is going the way of CTV when it comes to O&O branding. Someone was going to try this sooner or later.

It is looking very likely at this point that KCBS/KCAL is going to be the first to debut the new graphics and rebrand when they launch the new morning show on Monday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

CBS is going the way of CTV when it comes to O&O branding. Someone was going to try this sooner or later.

It is looking very likely at this point that KCBS/KCAL is going to be the first to debut the new graphics and rebrand when they launch the new morning show on Monday.

It's likely but let us not get our hopes up, this has happened two times before remember!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

WWJ is going to be the second.

Once CBS News Detroit debuts, will Detroit Now become CBS News Detroit Now, on CW50? 

Edited by CircleWXYZ

27 minutes ago, CircleWXYZ said:

WWJ is going to be the second.

Once CBS News Detroit debuts, will Detroit Now become CBS News Detroit Now, on CW50? 

I’m betting it should. The CBS Innovation Lab’s guidelines is for duopoly stations with a news-producing CBS O&O to have the “CBS News (City) NOW” name, with the standalone CW affiliates having the “(City) NOW” name.

• Confused 1

Well, this quote from a July writeup from RBR is giving us a little more clarity on the KCAL brand being used for KCBS' newscasts.

And, in a major move, local newscasts will no longer originate from KCBS-2. Instead, that station will simulcast KCAL-9 newscasts as part of a bigger plan to make KCAL, once the home of the legendary Jerry Dunphy and Pat Harvey, a player in the L.A. news race for the first time in more than two decades.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Confused 6

On 12/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, Georgie56 said:

And, in a major move, local newscasts will no longer originate from KCBS-2. Instead, that station will simulcast KCAL-9 newscasts as part of a bigger plan to make KCAL, once the home of the legendary Jerry Dunphy and Pat Harvey, a player in the L.A. news race for the first time in more than two decades.

OK, I know the "let's make the secondary station more prominent than the primary station where newscasts are based at" thing has been done before elsewhere (remember FOX45 News on ABC22 in Dayton?). But it doesn't make any sense here. KCBS is the West Coast flagship of CBS with the combined 2/9 news operation that will be named CBS News Los Angeles, except now it will originate from KCAL, the independent station, while KCBS, the West Coast flagship of CBS, will be relegated to secondary status.

If this isn't the definition of @$$-backwards management, I don't know what is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, Georgie56 said:

Isn't KCAL already a major player in local news since they started a 3-hour primetime news block in 1990?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ABC O&Os are the perfect example of streamlined with a touch of individuality. There are umpteen ABC 7s with roughly the same logo, branding themselves as Eyewitness News. The vast majority of them are the number one station in their markets, and despite there duplicated formats, the stations have seeds of uniqness that make them authentic to the cities they broadcast to. Pardon the ancient example but, Van Amborg was uniquely San Francisco as Grimsby & Beutel felt very New York. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, kfc513 said:

OK, I know the "let's make the secondary station more prominent than the primary station where newscasts are based at" thing has been done before elsewhere (remember FOX45 News on ABC22 in Dayton?). But it doesn't make any sense here. KCBS is the West Coast flagship of CBS with the combined 2/9 news operation that will be named CBS News Los Angeles, except now it will originate from KCAL, the independent station, while KCBS, the West Coast flagship of CBS, will be relegated to secondary status.

If this isn't the definition of @$$-backwards management, I don't know what is.

I don’t know if I’d call it “ass-backwards management” (not yet, anyway); it’s more like throwing in the towel on channel 2 in the morning. I can’t blame them. Keep in mind that their current arrangement has KCBS airing a newscast that draws a big fat zero in the ratings, while KCAL airs infomercials. As unconventional as this new arrangement is, it’s better than what they have now (although they might want to consider promoting the damn thing).

That’s not saying much, of course. The spiel about “making KCAL a major player” is BS, and I imagine that management is smart enough to realize that they won’t be a major threat to KTLA or KTTV. The broader point is that KCAL can air its own programming (via CBS LA’s news dept), and the extra airing of CBS Mornings can give the show a ratings boost (albeit, a very small one). Sure, KCBS loses morning news, but when no one’s watching it, it’s not like anyone living in LA is going to give a damn.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

That’s not saying much, of course. The spiel about “making KCAL a major player” is BS, and I imagine that management is smart enough to realize that they won’t be a major threat to KTLA or KTTV. The broader point is that KCAL can air its own programming (via CBS LA’s news dept), and the extra airing of CBS Mornings can give the show a ratings boost (albeit, a very small one). Sure, KCBS loses morning news, but when no one’s watching it, it’s not like anyone living in LA is going to give a damn.

The other thing is that it nearly doubles the amount of ad inventory, so there's at least the potential to make more money by having more compelling programming on both stations in the morning.

I honestly think what they're doing with the mornings is a fairly smart strategy to try considering they have nothing to lose. People have tried far, far dumber ideas in the morning. The only move that makes me question whether current KCBS/KCAL management have their heads on right is the hiring of Ross Palombo. That guy is so horrible to work with that KTVU let him out of his contract more than a year early, and then people at WPLG were literally crying in their newsroom when they found out that he was rehired there.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, Georgie56 said:

Well, this quote from a July writeup from RBR is giving us a little more clarity on the KCAL brand being used for KCBS' newscasts.

I don't think it's a dumb move at all. Comparing CBS 2's and KCAL's brands, KCAL is the more recognizable and more local brand and really they should've always been making KCAL the more dominant brand since the merge.

On 12/4/2022 at 7:12 AM, detroiter313 said:

Isn't KCAL already a major player in local news since they started a 3-hour primetime news block in 1990?

I'd say that when there was a period when broadcast news in general was in a slump, that KCAL seemed to be an after thought, with much of the talent there laid off and also many of the daytime broadcasts eliminated (2pm, 3p and a half hour of the 4p).

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, CaptainNews said:

KCAL has essentially become a competitor with KCBS in itself, which is not a good thing, for obvious reasons (just look at KCAL's 10pm and KCBS' 11pm ratings)

I don’t think comparing 2 stations in 2 different time slots really counts as competition, but I assume your point is that KCAL has the higher-rated newscasts. Is that really a bad thing? It’s the exact same news department, and the revenue is all flowing in the same direction.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...