New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

I don't like the changes on KCBS & KCAL not one bit. The expansion, I'm alright with it (if the ratings are good). But KCAL CBS News Los Angeles... NO WAY! I wish the CBS (Television) News & Stations leaves the names as it is like CBS 2 News and KCAL 9 News. I would be alright for CBS 2 Morning News and KCAL 9 Morning News as well.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

I don't like the changes on KCBS & KCAL not one bit. The expansion, I'm alright with it (if the ratings are good). But KCAL CBS News Los Angeles... NO WAY! I wish the CBS (Television) News & Stations leaves the names as it is like CBS 2 News and KCAL 9 News. I would be alright for CBS 2 Morning News and KCAL 9 Morning News as well.

How is this not 2/9 Newscentral all over again? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, alaskanews said:

What is this absolute nightmare of a brand? Where are your eyes supposed to look? How much of this mouthful is going to be used on air? "You're watching CBS News Los Angeles This Morning on KCAL." "KCAL CBS News Los Angeles This Morning starts now." WUT.

The “KCAL9 News” brand is clearly being retired. Obviously the station will still be KCAL9 outside of news, but the news operation is going to be renamed “CBS News Los Angeles” across both stations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Why are Drew Barrymore and Dr. Phil involved in a promo about local news?

Because it’s a CBS Syndication and WWJ airs it on their channel. 

KPIX doesn’t air Dr. Phil, it’s seen on KRON.

KPIX dropped the CBS 5 logo on the anchor desk  in their main studio in place of its call letters instead.

It doesn’t look good 🙄

I’m surprised they didn’t go with the CBS NEWS Bay Area logo instead. The newsroom desk has the updated logo.

A73E4944-7282-48C4-A32D-E636336BB240.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This is the most convincing evidence I've seen yet that the "CBS X" branding is out the door (I may or may not have been in denial). A shame, as we were in San Fran for thanksgiving and I was admiring the fact that the Group W "5" is still in use there. 

• Like 2

Hopefully that is in error. I get it being KCAL Mornings for the morning shows and the 11am but afterwards it should be something like CBS NEWS LOS ANGELES at xx:xx or whatever. 

I wonder why the weekend morning shows arent just KCAL Moenings as well. 

On 11/14/2022 at 5:15 AM, bostonmediaguy said:

Does anyone have any insight into the timeline for a graphics package change?

Is it tied to when KCAL launches their morning news block sometime next month?

...or when WWJ launches its newscasts? (Any estimated launch date?)

One thing to note (though perhaps unrelated), WBZ/Boston has not used the CBSN graphics package on its CBS News Boston OTT stream newscasts in several months, instead using the O&O graphics package.

Early January for WWJ.

12 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Okay. It appears the station updated the guides

Looking at Channel 2's grid, I'm seeing "KCAL News {time} on CBS Los Angeles" on all of their news slots starting Monday (12/5).

Are they really going "KCAL News" as their unified news brand?

When you think about it, KCAL is the stronger brand between both stations. It kinda makes sense, in a way.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, CircleWXYZ said:

WWJ got rid of the CBS62 branding three months ago, in favor of ‘CBS Detroit.’

i think the CBS ‘name city’ branding is going to be across the board.

If you want to remake and streamline the O&Os to be synonymous and harmonious with the network, it’s the way to go.

As it stands, the CBS O&Os are a weird mix of totally different logos and branding conventions, with some legacy  brands and call letters shared by unrelated radio stations. Only WCCO-TV at this point holds any promotional or marketing connection to it’s former sibling at AM 830. WBZ-TV has minimal to no relationship with AM 1030, an iHeart station. KYW-AM has an extensive news and weather partnership with WCAU, not KYW-TV.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

If you want to remake and streamline the O&Os to be synonymous and harmonious with the network, it’s the way to go.

As it stands, the CBS O&Os are a weird mix of totally different logos and branding conventions, with some legacy  brands and call letters shared by unrelated radio stations. Only WCCO-TV at this point holds any promotional or marketing connection to it’s former sibling at AM 830. WBZ-TV has minimal to no relationship with AM 1030, an iHeart station. KYW-AM has an extensive news and weather partnership with WCAU, not KYW-TV.

I agree. It's good to see CBS O&Os streamline its stations with the national CBS News instead of having cluttered brands scattered across the country. 

And it kinda reminds me of the BBC. They have regional stations tied together as one with their branding, like BBC East, BBC London, etc. 

So to have streamline branding with the local-to-national target, it's a good thing, IMO. 

It's also good to see station call letters in the brand as well to still give stations credit and recognition for content they're producing as part of the approach.

As for numbers on the old logos, I could be wrong, but some cable companies may not have CBS3, for example, on the actual Channel 3, so it's good to get rid of it as CBS O&O news outlets are not only on cab/sat, but streaming as well.

The only complaint is that it's taking forever for the new graphics to come about. We should be seeing them by now.

• Like 3