New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

6 minutes ago, Requiere said:

Apart from going back to TV33, primetime is just Family Feud with no mention of the MyNetworkTV programming. I also don't know what channel MYTV would move to, have they announced it in Boston yet?

It actually checks out in Boston too. WSBK has WBZ News, a Jeopardy rerun, the Phantom Gourmet, and comedy reruns scheduled for Monday night. I was curious to know of a source because I haven’t seen any announcements, although I suppose this isn’t the type of thing most people will actually notice/care about.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

It actually checks out in Boston too. WSBK has WBZ News, a Jeopardy rerun, the Phantom Gourmet, and comedy reruns scheduled for Monday night. I was curious to know of a source because I haven’t seen any announcements, although I suppose this isn’t the type of thing most people will actually notice/care about.

Promotions on WBFS don't mention MyNet33 anymore, it just has their old logo 33. Looks like they broke up so much in Boston with Miami, what will CBS/Paramount do with it?

1tv33.thumb.jpg.f7c4e1f8dff925ead3f831a6553757b1.jpgtv33.thumb.jpg.8edf8655997ead5183edd21ef28af8f9.jpg

19 minutes ago, TheNewsTV said:

Promotions on WBFS don't mention MyNet33 anymore, it just has their old logo 33. Looks like they broke up so much in Boston with Miami, what will CBS/Paramount do with it?

I hope something; CBS does so little regarding WSBK you've had to get very exact on Google to find a TV schedule for the TV station, not the World SuperBike circuit, or for WBFS, to avoid links about a Wii ROM file format.

🤭 Still, better that filler programming than Chicago/Dateline reruns on MNTV competing against Chicago/Dateline reruns in syndication/cable/Ion/True Crime Network.

• Haha 2

On 9/18/2022 at 11:32 PM, Yankees4life said:

I'm sure the few low powered Indy stations here won't mind picking it up. It's either that or one of the bigger affiliates (ie. WSVN or WPLG) will put it on their subchannels

I do care, or at least I did,  it's kind of an offbeat hobby of mine,  local-news presentation, especially Los Angeles stations, that's my home base.   As for new CBS O&O graphics, or for ABC's too,   following this is like kicking the dust where a dead horse used to lie.

• Sad 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:24 AM, kshow said:

WCBS-TV premiered a new political show today (Sunday). Take a look at the graphics...

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 12.22.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 12.23.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 12.23.20 PM.png

It looks really nice, but same corner channel bug, same TT Norms Pro font, no indication of any upheaval soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Credit to @CaptainNewsfor flagging it on the Discord: WBBM is airing a promo celebrating Brad Edwards' 10th anniversary at the station that features the "CBS News Chicago" branding with "WBBM" in a black box, similar to what the Group W converts and WCCO have.

Interesting. I guess everyone might be getting the call letter treatment, at least temporarily. If so, it would be reminiscent of how CTV handled their standardization. Come to think of it, that might be the branding differentiation between newscasts on KCBS and KCAL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Credit to @CaptainNewsfor flagging it on the Discord: WBBM is airing a promo celebrating Brad Edwards' 10th anniversary at the station that features the "CBS News Chicago" branding with "WBBM" in a black box, similar to what the Group W converts and WCCO have.

Do we have a picture or video?

Edited by ATLNewsExpert
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Yeah I’m not in the discord because of well you know like you do you have any evidence?

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 6:44 PM, Samantha said:

This is a large rearchitecture. The reason it has taken this long is simply because of how comprehensive it is.

Of the four O&O chains, CBS has the most problems ailing its. Most of the stations are ratings fixer-uppers and have spent two decades or more in such a condition. There was no news in Detroit. Post-Dunn and Friend, something radical needed to be done. And the investment in News and the fact that there is actual innovation and renewal in News are all to be hailed.

If you watched the first night of the new Evening News look, you might have noticed the text elements listing places where CBS News has bureaus. There's London...Rome...Johannesburg...Atlanta...oh yeah, and Sacramento and Baltimore. News and Stations in a nutshell.

There is a lot going on. A visual overhaul, the first top-to-bottom one at Stations in nearly a decade; a restructuring internally; the continued effects of the Paramount Global merger, etc.; the launch of news in Detroit; and the shift to a streaming-first or -co-first mentality at every outpost in Stations. This does not happen overnight.

Why are we so excited? Because there is a sense of renewal at CBS that is long-deserved and needed. Because they are fixing, finally on a comprehensive level, a historic inequity in Detroit, and they are making the right moves in doing it. Because there is a pathbreaking branding approach.

ABC has too many successful news franchises in its markets to do this. NBC has too many, and it also has Telemundo; it's hard to have that sort of fusion of national and local news when there are two separate networks (with separate teams) to feed and all of the NBC newsrooms it runs are bilingual. Fox fundamentally cannot do this without compromising and tainting its local news product to a significant portion of the audience.

All this being said, and eloquently,   (it almost reads like a press release) I , a viewer and I think a longtime one with some sophistication,  am simply unable to grasp the connection that  Wendy McMahon and Neeraj Khelmani are so enthusiastically trying to forge between CBS News and local-station operations,  trying to make them one and the same. They are two very different entities.    Local viewers identify with their channels and personalities.   I can't see how, for instance,  making KCBS '  morning block (or KCAL's, if such a thing ever comes to pass) "CBS News Los Angeles"  will turn viewers away from other choices;  many are watching KTLA instead of "CBS Mornings" anyway.  This is not to be harsh;   it's what the numbers say.   I can understand graphic design, music, etc, to be standardized, probably more for cost reasons  than any other,   but to me this year-and-a-half-long attempt at trying to somehow combine  network news and local identity seems to be a task that has bitten off more than it can chew,   as of October creating an ever more awkward muddle of brandings and looks.    

Edited by Nick
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Nick said:

All this being said, and eloquently,   (it almost reads like a press release) I , a viewer and I think a longtime one with some sophistication,  am simply unable to grasp the connection that McMahon and Khelmani are so enthusiastically trying to forge between CBS News and local-station operations,  trying to make them one and the same. They are two very different entities.    Local viewers identify with their channels and personalities.   I can understand graphic design, music, etc, to be standardized, probably more for cost reasons  than any other,   but to me this year-and-a-half-long attempt at trying to somehow combine  network news and local identity seems to be a task that has bitten off more than it can chew,   as of October creating an ever more awkward muddle of brandings.     

I didn’t get it at first either, and I’ll try to simplify what I think they’re doing as best I can. CBS knows that local news is more identifiable w/ viewers than the national network. That’s a problem for them, given that CBS national newscasts don’t perform well in the ratings. By slapping the “CBS News” name onto local newscasts, the CBS News brand effectively becomes more regional. The hope is that viewers identify their local newscasts with CBS News as a whole, and that they stay w/ their CBS News station for national news rather than flipping the channel.

CBS also wants to push local/national streaming, given the rise of OTT services, and also wants to integrate the operations of local streaming services. The best way they can do that is by having everyone brand around the network, rather than have the channel number on TV, the CBSN brand for streaming news, etc.

The current “awkward muddle” of brandings is because they’re transitioning. In NY, I’ve seen more references to CBS New York than CBS 2 in station promos. I have no idea if this would actually accomplish the first goal of increasing viewership, and I don’t see myself wanting to watch the CBS Evening News in my market just because WCBS doesn’t call itself CBS2 anymore. However, it would accomplish the goal of integrating the network in a streaming-heavy world.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
Wording/formatting
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I didn’t get it at first either, and I’ll try to simplify what I think they’re doing as best I can. CBS knows that local news is more identifiable w/ viewers than the national network. That’s a problem for them, given that CBS national newscasts don’t perform well in the ratings. By slapping the “CBS News” name onto local newscasts in cities like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Boston, the CBS News brand effectively becomes more regional. The hope is that viewers identify their local newscasts with CBS News as a whole, and that they stay w/ their CBS News station for national news rather than flipping the channel.

CBS also wants to push local/national streaming, given the rise of OTT services, and also wants to integrate the operations of local streaming services. The best way they can do that is by having everyone brand around the network, rather than have the channel number on TV, the CBSN brand for streaming news, etc.

I have no idea if this would actually accomplish the first goal of increasing viewership, and I don’t see myself wanting to watch the CBS Evening News in my market just because WCBS doesn’t call itself CBS2 anymore. However, it would accomplish the goal of integrating the network in a streaming-heavy world. The current “awkward muddle” of brandings is because they’re transitioning. In NY, there are now more references to CBS New York than CBS 2 in station promos. I can’t really speak for the other cities, though.

Those are some very good points.  And from them I agree,   the transition may be more about getting eyes and ears on CBS' streaming platforms than air, indeed. Go to any local O&O site and scroll to see the "CBS News" stream from other markets,  Pluto TV offers the same.  If streaming will overtake the old fashioned remote, if it hasn't already, than this is an easy way to offer the CBS brand.   I may be too old fashioned for my own good,  I like local-channel IDs.   

This does certainly rope all local stations into a corral to be clicked on easily under the CBS brand, and who knows,  it may help news viewers get interested in the network's prime-time programming, or that of Paramount +.        I can say that the stations I watch,  KCBS / KCAL for instance,   are in transition too,  the duopoly seems to be putting CBS News Los Angeles right alongside CBS 2 / KCAL 9,  the look is different in every promo,  it kind of makes me wonder what the final identity is going to be,  that's where I dreamed up the "muddle" term.

It seems to me that one thing that needs work is on the streaming newscasts, where there is a way-too-long  ad-less lag during commercial  breaks,   the "You're Watching CBS News (region) /   We'll Be Right Back" deal...

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Nick said:

It seems to me that one thing that needs work is on the streaming newscasts, where there is a way-too-long  ad-less lag during commercial  breaks,   the "You're Watching CBS News (region) /   We'll Be Right Back" deal...

This varies depending on the platform, the market and where you’re watching it from. I can run CBS News app on Apple TV, Pluto TV, and my laptop (web) from the same house and get different commercials of different lengths.  I have noticed if I watch CBS DFW from Dallas (parents house), I get more ads (and local ones at that), vs. watching it in DC (fewer 

and more national, but sometimes a random DC Local), specially since CBS doesn’t have an O&O in DC…

I have no problem with calling the service  “CBS News Los Angeles” (look back to the 60s at WMAQ’s news was produced by NBC News Chicago), but I would treat it with a  “You’re watching CBS News Los Angeles on CBS 2 and online.” - and only include the “location” (OTA, Streaming, App-specific) as appropriate.

Jim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, compubit said:

This varies depending on the platform, the market and where you’re watching it from. I can run CBS News app on Apple TV, Pluto TV, and my laptop (web) from the same house and get different commercials of different lengths.  I have noticed if I watch CBS DFW from Dallas (parents house), I get more ads (and local ones at that), vs. watching it in DC (fewer 

and more national, but sometimes a random DC Local), specially since CBS doesn’t have an O&O in DC…

I have no problem with calling the service  “CBS News Los Angeles” (look back to the 60s at WMAQ’s news was produced by NBC News Chicago), but I would treat it with a  “You’re watching CBS News Los Angeles on CBS 2 and online.” - and only include the “location” (OTA, Streaming, App-specific) as appropriate.

Jim

I think that kind of branding would be just right.  And certainly through the years, now I think about it,  there's been some blending of network and local news identities  --  while I wasn't around to see it,  Robert Trout anchored WCBS's newscasts in the '60s,  it was kind of a New York version of CBS News almost.  I'm sure there are other similar exam

I mostly watch the KCBS and KCAL streams and that of KPIX,   sometimes WCBS and others, all of which are out of my home market  (there is no O&O in my Salinas-Monterey area in California.)  I see much more "You're watching..."  and a lot fewer ads, and even fewer are local to the area.

Edited by Nick

IIRC, when they started up CBSN Baltimore, The anchors would say something like “You’re watching Eyewitness News on WJZ TV and streaming on CBSN Baltimore online”.  

Of course it could all have been in a dream…

Jim

Edited by compubit
Wording update
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, compubit said:

IIRC, when they started up CBSN Baltimore, The anchors would say something like “You’re watching Eyewitness News on WJZ TV and streaming on CBSN Baltimore online”.  

Of course it could all have been in a dream…

Jim

Maybe Philly will pick that up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNewsTV said:

This week has already arrived at KPIX.

This open debuted a few weeks ago when KPIX shuffled around all their anchors. They're clearly trying to market the 6 and 7pm newscasts with Juliette Goodrich as complements to the Evening News with Norah O'Donnell. But aside from the new opens and giant tease banners for the 6 and 7pm shows, it's the same mish-mash of old and new graphics everywhere else on KPIX.

Plus, knowing PIX, they'll change their minds on everything again in about 3 months...

Edited by C Block
  • Like 1