New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

On 8/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, SFTV said:

Not sure if I’m going to like these solo anchor shows at 3, 6, 7 and 11pm

they really need to hire another weather person. 3 main full time personal isn’t enough especially if one is out on vacation or sick. 

the weekend weather anchor already has to do double duty 6 and 7am then 5, 6 and 11pm

You are right.   That is an odd configuration of shifts and times.  They do not have enough weather forecasters.  It's a pretty big move to have Sara Donchey anchor solo at 11  -- she's been at 5 for less than a year, and already has gotten some "She's too L.A." snarkiness  --  . I thought America's go-to caricature of the L.A. news personality was the "bubble-headed bleached blonde" Don Henley sang about?

Pat Harvey has been solo-anchoring at KCBS for a long time.  Marc Brown at KABC too, at least the last I looked.  Seems to be the way of things I guess.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Nick said:

Odd that this big a change would debut on a holiday.   I hope something happens soon!  We are all still waiting for Godot to finally show up!🙂

I like the look a lot,  it's in line with CBS News style,  but I wanna see some local channel numbers.   Though this looks like the CBS News streaming package and not the actual O&O look.

49 minutes ago, Nick said:

Pat Harvey has been solo-anchoring at KCBS for a long time.  Marc Brown at KABC too, at least the last I looked.  Seems to be the way of things I guess.

They both have experience been there a long time they can do it alone.

• Like 1

I tried to quote Nick, but it ended up as a blank quote, so I'll say that launching on a holiday; best time to do it outside a weekend morning.

You have the diehards paying attention to glitches and errors so they can be fixed the next day easily and not show up and be very noticeable to regular viewers, and behind the scenes is less stressed having to fix things around known and scheduled coverage of Tajikistani Sorghum Days at the Fairplex in Pomona, last day before back to school coverage of sprinkler pads to deal with the heat, and 'boy the box office sure does suck, huh?' coverage rather than a breaking 'all hands on deck' story.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Well, that was a dud. I'm so sorry, guys.

At least we have KCNC to look forward to next Monday.

I mean, it’s only graphics. No need for an apology. It’s not the end of the world or anything.

Besides, they’ll get the full set at some point.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Just two months ago, we heard about "key staff departures" and "the design has not been finalized." Signs point to this look not launching for a while longer.

Also, if the demo is on YouTube before it even launches, there’s a decent chance that it’s not the final product.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

Not exactly the launch of a new look in Minneapolis.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Looks more like a transitional phase upon which the "WCCO" name is slowly retired in favor of "CBS News Minnesota". I dare say even the name "The 4 on WCCO" is transitional.

KCNC may be getting the "CBS News NOW" graphics next week out of necessity alone. It's not like that station is stuck with running on the 2016 look when they rebrand.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I mean, it’s only graphics. No need for an apology. It’s not the end of the world or anything.

Nothing to apologize for, Georgie56.    Sure nycnewsjunkie, it's only graphics, but imagine all the viewers who won't even notice a difference, if one actually ever comes.  It's great to gab about it here.

So in the meantime, it's time to keep partying like it's 2016.   

3 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2

KPIX slowly debuted the new look on the monitor wall and some Lower thirds

Juliette Goodrich doing a standup for the 6pm tease “CBS NEWS BAY AREA with Juliette Goodrich.”

im kinda impressed with the NEW B-Roll shots they are using of the SF skyline and the SF Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge from afar. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SFTV said:

KPIX slowly debuted the new look on the monitor wall and some Lower thirds

Juliette Goodrich doing a standup for the 6pm tease “CBS NEWS BAY AREA with Juliette Goodrich.”

im kinda impressed with the NEW B-Roll shots they are using of the SF skyline and the SF Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge from afar. 

Any photos of this? Would love to see...

5 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

I tried to quote Nick, but it ended up as a blank quote, so I'll say that launching on a holiday; best time to do it outside a weekend morning.

You have the diehards paying attention to glitches and errors so they can be fixed the next day easily and not show up and be very noticeable to regular viewers, and behind the scenes is less stressed having to fix things around known and scheduled coverage of Tajikistani Sorghum Days at the Fairplex in Pomona, last day before back to school coverage of sprinkler pads to deal with the heat, and 'boy the box office sure does suck, huh?' coverage rather than a breaking 'all hands on deck' story.

mrschimpf,  good point.  Soft launches are probably best. And on Labor Day,  don't forget stories from the beaches about sunscreen and safety, and also  the gas prices, when a reporter is sent to a Mobil station to ask people filling up "What do you think of the price of gas?"   Answer:  "Well, uh...pretty high.  Yeah.  Gotta have it though."  etc.   

• Like 1

In the Monterey area I have to go to the Web to see anything from KPIX, it's out of market for me.   I just did, saw what you were referring to.      Well... it's a start... I guess.. maybe...kind of. In a way.

Edited by Nick

1 hour ago, GodfreyGR said:

A little off from graphics, but holy billboards CCO is marketing the hell out of their 4:00 show. One digital billboard flipped to three different “The 4” billboards in a row. 

One of the problems was the tail end of the 19-20 and last season of Ellen were pretty much the last thing most viewers wanted to watch, so for many of these stations, they do have to spend the money and say that they have something to watch at 4pm, even if it's a newscast.

Also The Four is probably there to stay just based on hashtag-ness (#thefouronwccofour or #thefouronfour); if it was The 4 on CBS 39...yeah, that's a temp title.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

One of the problems was the tail end of the 19-20 and last season of Ellen were pretty much the last thing most viewers wanted to watch, so for many of these stations, they do have to spend the money and say that they have something to watch at 4pm, even if it's a newscast.

Also The Four is probably there to stay just based on hashtag-ness (#thefouronwccofour or #thefouronfour); if it was The 4 on CBS 39...yeah, that's a temp title.

Also, they’re the newcomer in the 4pm news game, and have to catch up with KARE, so I suppose every bit of promotion helps. Still, three in a row is overkill.

Agree on the name and branding. WCCO isn’t spending loads of cash to promote a temporary title/branding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s gonna become The 4 on CBS News Minnesota soon enough.

Lifelong Minnesotan here- even if you are correct, they will take a sweet long time to kill off the best known branding/call letters in the state.

They had the opportunity to unveil the CBSN MN brand to the tens of thousands who walk by their booth at the state fair and every sign, banner, and giveaway had the classic WCCO logo on it.

Along with the billboards, you don’t spend that kind of money on promos and giveaways (even if they are paper fans and reusable grocery bags) to flip it right away. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Lifelong Minnesotan here- even if you are correct, they will take a sweet long time to kill off the best known branding/call letters in the state.

They had the opportunity to unveil the CBSN MN brand to the tens of thousands who walk by their booth at the state fair and every sign, banner, and giveaway had the classic WCCO logo on it.

Along with the billboards, you don’t spend that kind of money on promos and giveaways (even if they are paper fans and reusable grocery bags) to flip it right away. 

Good point, and now that you mention it, the state fair was at the back of my mind in the lead up to what we thought would be a Labor Day launch. The near absence of “CBS News Minnesota” branding on their tents, signage, etc. was hard not to notice. You’d think they’d use an event like the state fair to promote the new brand to the masses alongside their existing brand, if only for streaming purposes.

I still think they’ll implement the “CBS News Minnesota” brand alongside the existing WCCO brand (see the graphics demo, although that is likely not the final look). That said, it might take take at least a year before the WCCO name goes away on TV. There’s even a small chance that it doesn’t go away at all, although that would make WCCO a very special exception among the CBS O&Os. I suppose that would only happen if the market’s reaction to the whole rebrand is *extremely* negative.

WCCO isn’t the only station that is slow to promote the “CBS News (City)” brand. Even though KCNC is launching its rebrand on Sept. 12th, WCBS is still advertising their new 9am newscast (premiering on the same day) as “CBS2 News at 9,” with less than a week to go. There’s also a new KYW morning promo with the new graphics that advertises that newscast as “CBS3 Eyewitness News” (I’ll look for pictures/videos of both and post them here ASAP). Those aren’t “legacy stations” like WCCO, so perhaps those stations are slowly transitioning their brands because of the large number of OTA viewers in those markets? I’m honestly not sure. The rollout is a bit inconsistent at this point, and some things may not even be finalized yet. Chances are, we’ll know a lot more on Monday.

• Like 1