New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

39 minutes ago, groupwfan said:

That could easily be used on some non-O&Os. (especially WDJT in Milwaukee/Green Bay; as they're the only Weigel owned station to use the current O&O GFX) 

It'll be interesting if they either adopt this or don't and take the in-house style from WBND, as they've never switched away from channel number branding and it's always been "The CBS 58 News".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

With a station like KCNC, that really hasn’t had a stable brand, there’s really nothing to lose with CBS’ latest branding scheme. But for a station with stability and a known local brand, it doesn’t. I know there some that think KDKA isn’t special, but there is a joke about the visitor to Pittsburgh who asks who “Katie Kaye” is because they keeping hearing Katie Kaye (KDKA) said…

Re KDKA; That joke was relevant 25 years ago. In modern times, no one is out on the streets saying call letters. Or channel numbers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tyler said:

Re KDKA; That joke was relevant 25 years ago. In modern times, no one is out on the streets saying call letters. Or channel numbers. 

I disagree. Folks I talk to still say “Channel 2” or “Channel 4”, etc. in areas where the stations used the channel numbers, rather than CBS 2 or NBC 4.

IMHO, the best way to roll this out would be to use the CBS News Chicago name for the newscast, but include something like this in the intro: You’re watching CBS News Chicago on Channel 2/CBS 2 and online at cbschicago.com.

The folks watching OTA are still going to refer to it as the channel number, if that’s what they’ve been using their entire lives…

J

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I actually really love the music -- yes, it does feel sort of TEGNA-y, for a lack of a better description. But it dovetails a lot with today's era of "modern-ness" and retains some of the quirky community feel that news stations want to add these days...kind of a la what Queen City News is doing, but better? (is this a dig? I don't even know anymore lol) The vibes of the particular clip from Owen might resonate better with the Minneapolis suburbs more than the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, but I feel like there could be some more variations that we'll hear and see soon anyways.

As an aside, I think it's actually very surreal we may be moving on from Enforcer as the theme of a generic CBS O&O, if I'm understanding all of these developments correctly. It's all I've ever felt like I've known when it came to CBS. The new mnemonic launched in the past ~1+ year or so is nice, but Enforcer truly stood for itself and the test of time as well (but definitely not the reductive bastardizations of it that have been made in the last few years).

Yeah, I'll be excited to see where this is going.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, groupwfan said:

That could easily be used on some non-O&Os. (especially WDJT in Milwaukee/Green Bay; as they're the only Weigel owned station to use the current O&O GFX) 

That means WJZ won’t have to ditch there WJZ branding KYW voiceover Eyewitness News, reporters can still say it after live shots, and it still can be used simultaneously.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

And here’s the whole damn thing.

Not surprisingly, they’re basically the CBS News/Evening News graphics. For the most part, they look slick as hell, and it’s good to see the local stations getting the same look.

The cut of music they use in the demo is refreshing, but as others have mentioned, it feels a bit too light for some markets (including New York). I was hoping they’d go with a variant of the CBS News streaming theme. Then again, the demo cut gives off a WCCO/WJZ vibe, and will work well on those stations.

18 hours ago, Tyler said:

Unless they’re referring to the radio station, but of course, it no longer has anything to do with the TV station.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Not surprisingly, they’re basically the CBS News/Evening News graphics. For the most part, they look slick as hell, and it’s good to see the local stations getting the same look.

The cut of music they use in the demo is refreshing, but as others have mentioned, it feels a bit too light for some markets (including New York). I was hoping they’d go with a variant of the CBS News streaming theme. Then again, the demo cut gives off a WCCO/WJZ vibe, and will work well on those stations.

Unless they’re referring to the radio station, but of course, it no longer has anything to do with the TV station.

Yeah, right—that’s when the Wendy Bell fiasco when down on 1020 no one called the tv station…

oh wait…

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/1/2022 at 12:19 PM, Georgie56 said:

Also, if you look here, you’ll see that WCCO has no newscasts scheduled at their State Fair studios for it’s last day on Sept. 5.

For the record, that’s pretty traditional for all 4 major stations to close up shop and head back to the studio on Labor Day. People still doing the fair want to see the sights, eat the food, and go home since it’s the first day of school for most of the state on Tuesday. I’m sure all 4 will have a reporter out there to say they’re still “Life from the fair”

Weekend shows from the fair are also usually limited if the station has any college football games airing since it’s hard to keep a live audience captive if the game runs long, but it looks bad on air if you’re live from the fair with no one standing around your studio to show off how popular you’re newscast is. 

• Like 1

Love all of it except the lowers and the font weights they went with. TT Norms is a very versatile font with a variety of weights and widths and they went with medium condensed? As a designer I would have went a normal width and mixed thin/medium weights (for first and last names) for the talent lowers and medium weight for everything else. Secondly the lowers themselves are just too damn big with way too much wasted space.

It is good to see the I Love Chicago signature be put out to pasture for the CBS jingle.

9 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

No. WCCO will debut today, then KCNC next Monday. Every O&O is not launching at the same time.

Pretty sure I saw somewhere KYW would be debuting theirs somewhere around the fall season kickoff. Maybe this coming Sunday night after football.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
  • Like 4

Odd that this big a change would debut on a holiday.   I hope something happens soon!  We are all still waiting for Godot to finally show up!🙂

On 9/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

I like the look a lot,  it's in line with CBS News style,  but I wanna see some local channel numbers.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, maddog363 said:

Did I miss something? How do we know about KCNC's debut?

Last week KCNC announced that CBS 4 News would be rebranded as CBS Colorado News, in addition to adding  9AM and 4PM newscasts starting next Monday.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/cbs-news-colorado-announces-new-initiative-additional-newscasts/?fbclid=IwAR1fZUYQHbzc1nUCY5vuxQqHsJiPJmpCvUTeEAaDL8qg5mPbYRydlSgM2sk

Edited by ddaniels20
  • Like 1