New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

I'd argue the look of CBS News (streaming) is a better implementation than what's on network, outside of some minor nitpicks - IMO, the logo bug is too big, the little programming indicator is too small. I think if they adjusted it so that the programming indicator was within the box, it would help, and they could go back to what they have now when the programming isn't live.

Example:

212806414_QandDCBSNewsadjust1.png.edad632acc654fa7cc526b8d044d24bc.png727944336_QandDCBSNewsadjust2.png.f8d75710384d90a00197b1948c0aa3df.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The KDKA black and gold is the best looking that I've seen so far amongst the CBS O&Os. It's a departure from the usual blue or white box look on most TV news casts. That being said it would look nice if each individual CBS affiliate could have their own tweaks to the standard graphics package for individuality.

As for the CBS News streaming graphics, it's the typical white box flatness, but it works nonetheless. really digging the textured world map element to the CBS News Mornings orange package.

Overall the rebrand works though I thought they'd call it something like "CBS News+"  to distinguish the national streaming feed from the TV network.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Not to continue to throw speculation out there, but I saw WFOR using a new BROWARD transition at the beginning of this story. I wonder if this could be a tease of something bigger.

CBS Miami has been using these transitions for a while now. I believe it started when CBS News Miami launched or just a bit before.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There has been chatter about CBS O&Os possibly dropping channel numbers in favor of branding such as "CBS News New York". But a new paint job for WCBS's Chopper 2 shows a "CBS 2 News New York" branding: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfuXtkDO6S7/

Chopper 2, which the station shares with WNYW, has not had branding on it for many years. If the new graphics are indeed launching this fall, it would make sense that they paint the chopper in advance in order to get shots for opens and promos. (I doubt the mouthful "CBS 2 News New York This Morning" will be the actual newscast title format.)

I'm not a fan of dropping channel numbers so I'm happy that this seems to not be happening. I hope the upcoming look is much more well thought out than the current group package, which felt sloppy and dated the day it launched.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

There has been chatter about CBS O&Os possibly dropping channel numbers in favor of branding such as "CBS News New York". But a new paint job for WCBS's Chopper 2 shows a "CBS 2 News New York" branding: https://www.instagram.com/p/CfuXtkDO6S7/

Chopper 2, which the station shares with WNYW, has not had branding on it for many years. If the new graphics are indeed launching this fall, it would make sense that they paint the chopper in advance in order to get shots for opens and promos. (I doubt the mouthful "CBS 2 News New York This Morning" will be the actual newscast title format.)

I'm not a fan of dropping channel numbers so I'm happy that this seems to not be happening. I hope the upcoming look is much more well thought out than the current group package, which felt sloppy and dated the day it launched.

I’ve always thought that the website rebranding was more of a way to connect the stations’ often glitchy websites to the CBS News website, and in turn drive internet traffic to the national side of things. There has not yet been definitive evidence of dropping local branding wholesale. AFAIK, the only mentions made about dropping local branding were comments on this website, and that was nothing more than speculation. Of course, my theory is also speculation (they could theoretically drop local branding on air and online while keeping it in the sky), so I wouldn’t take this as a sign of anything until we have a better idea of the upcoming new look.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’ve always thought that the website rebranding was more of a way to connect the stations’ often glitchy websites to the CBS News website, and in turn drive internet traffic to the national side of things. There has not yet been definitive evidence of dropping local branding wholesale. AFAIK, the only mentions made about dropping local branding were comments on this website, and that was nothing more than speculation. Of course, my theory is also speculation (they could theoretically drop local branding on air and online while keeping it in the sky), so I wouldn’t take this as a sign of anything until we have a better idea of the upcoming new look.

To be honest, I doubt that Paramount and CBS News & Stations would remove the channel numbers from most CBS O&Os' newscast titles.

Edited by DonDonP1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, Geoffrey said:

I was also hoping that the stations would keep the channel numbers.  And as for the WCBS chopper paint job, I do think that is the look you'll see in the fall.  Notice the colors are reversed;   the eyemark is gold and the "2" white.  That's new.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I was also hoping that the stations would keep the channel numbers.  And as for the WCBS chopper paint job, I do think that is the look you'll see in the fall.  Notice the colors are reversed;   the eyemark is gold and the "2" white.  That's new.

Perhaps a throwback to the 1997 logo

image.png.d8366c00ae63cea0936a5c9ffaca277b.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NYTV said:

Perhaps a throwback to the 1997 logo

image.png.d8366c00ae63cea0936a5c9ffaca277b.png

I don't even live in the New York market and I wish WCBS could have kept that.  I guess I'm a traditionalist-type.  At least KPIX got to keep its Westinghouse-style "5" that dates back to the late sixties.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

It looks like KCNC is going for a full rebrand to CBSNewsColorado. https://twitter.com/CBSNewsColorado

Speaking of KCNC, I came across this video from yesterday featuring a couple of stingers that I haven't seen before; and they look really close to the newer CBS branding - https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/dangerous-flooding-emergency-message-larimer-county-sheriff/

Could this be a possible hint at the new graphics?

KCNC-Stinger-1.png.c1c635ccb781dbe8e954b0affb7d8ada.png

KCNC-Stinger-2.png.a31227f269ae7e050e25ae63e0ccada5.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kfc513 said:

Speaking of KCNC, I came across this video from yesterday featuring a couple of stingers that I haven't seen before; and they look really close to the newer CBS branding - https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/dangerous-flooding-emergency-message-larimer-county-sheriff/

I'm not sure but the Breaking News graphics have been used for some time now.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kfc513 said:

KCNC has been using a hodgepodge of 4 different graphics packages for the last few years. It's a design mess.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

The graphics package on the NOW newscasts are not the upcoming CBS O&O graphics. They’re still a work in progress.

However, I still think that whatever new “O&O package” comes out will be extremely similar to this one, especially now it’s seeing more use on-air and not just online. 

• Like 4

I'm guessing the graphics team is still getting used to the new lower thirds because that's a lot of empty space for the text to be that condensed.

Not really liking the extra large logo, but that's on par with the national network design so it's unsurprising that local is trying to mimic the general style.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...