New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

7 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

http://www.newsmusicnow.com/player.php?id=4219

found the cut that’s catchy (Tease B). This is the full closing theme used at Noon and the 3pm show, but they use a minus one version for its bumpers on the A Block (12:10pm) at Noon and B block (3:22pm) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daybreak said:

CBS Local and The Enforcer sounds similar that many will not notice the change. Why is that when Stephen composed CBS Local and the Enforcer was composed by GARI?

Both packages are based on the same folk song "This is My City, Chicago's My Town" which gave rise to the 1975 theme by Dick Marx, and other news packages by different composers, especially Frank Gari and Stephen Arnold. "Enforcer" debuted in 1994 on WBBM-TV, "CBS Local" debuted in 2013 on Nexstar-owned CBS affiliate KGPE in Fresno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detroiter313 said:

Both packages are based on the same folk song "This is My City, Chicago's My Town" which gave rise to the 1975 theme by Dick Marx, and other news packages by different composers, especially Frank Gari and Stephen Arnold. "Enforcer" debuted in 1994 on WBBM-TV, "CBS Local" debuted in 2013 on Nexstar-owned CBS affiliate KGPE in Fresno.

CBS Local from Stephen Arnold needs to be the package the CBS O&Os need to start using immediately. Retire the Enforcer music from 1994 and give some life to (in many cases) third place stations in major cities. 

ABC/Disney has the edge in many markets where CBS and ABC both own a station. 

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

CBS Local from Stephen Arnold needs to be the package the CBS O&Os need to start using immediately. Retire the Enforcer music from 1994 and give some life to (in many cases) third place stations in major cities.

Yes, yes, because THAT'S the stations' problems. Not the decades of mismanagement, budget cuts, and subsequent poor ratings.

Really, most here need to get a grip. I don't want to say that CBS Local is a downgrade from modern Enforcer (though I think it is), but it DEFINITELY wouldn't be some magical problem-solver, either. More than just about any cosmetic adjustment we've ever discussed here, such a theme change across the board might be the most unnoticeable of all time, to the average viewer.

Hell, I have no problem saying that neither Gari nor Stephen Arnold have produced the best adaptations of the WBBM signature. They just happened to be the powerhouse music companies of their eras, therefore most accessible for the average client.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 12

On 12/21/2021 at 5:42 PM, Kenneth Kissel said:

ABC/Disney has the edge in many markets where CBS and ABC both own a station. 

Enforcer has seen several iterations of updates. Stations can use anything they want, composed from 1994 to 2020. However, stations typically use a mix of themes which can make the branding sound inconsistent. CBS Local was composed on the cheap. Stations are becoming less willing to pay for high quality music. So you get a lot of rushed, almost ubiquitous sounding packages that don't set the station apart from any other in the market.

ABC has the edge because they invest more in station resources.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

CBS O&O graphics looks good. And if they haven't sold KUTV, WFRV, and KEYE-TV, they be getting the new graphics as well.

31 minutes ago, 24994J said:

With all due respect...

So? And?

They're probably just saying that these new graphics would be perfect for those stations. Unfortunately, all three stations have chain graphics.

• Like 1

Looks like a mix of the network graphics and the "NFL on CBS" elements. Are we sure the screengrab isn't part of a spot designed specifically to run in the NFL playoffs? I'm not sure why there are yard line markers on a weather graphic otherwise.

I am not hopeful. The previous CBS O&O look was uninspired and felt dated from the very beginning. Then the sloppy combination with the CBSN Local look. 

I do like the CBS network look that's being replicated across CBS Sports, CBS Mornings, etc. But I'm not hopeful that this will be done well.

We shall see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I am not hopeful. The previous CBS O&O look was uninspired and felt dated from the very beginning. Then the sloppy combination with the CBSN Local look. 

I do like the CBS network look that's being replicated across CBS Sports, CBS Mornings, etc. But I'm not hopeful that this will be done well.

We shall see.

I agree. I do love the network look. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

According to @rkolsen on the Discord, the CBS O&Os are debuting new elements on Monday. The wait and speculation may be finally over.

Sneak peek: (h/t @rkolsen)

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

Looks like the CBSNs will be renamed on Monday based on that first screenshot. Is that confirmed or would that be just speculation?

On 1/20/2022 at 5:40 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

They're still piecemealing from 3 packages: The CBS brand look, the 2016 O&O look and the CBSN look.

Are all the CBS O&Os getting this "First Alert Action Day" look?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1