New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

Ok this is one of those posts (not very substantive), but I feel this was slightly interesting to see -- the color and format (with the black behind the eye and the thick blue bar) look kind of like a "transition-esque" thing compared to anything else we've seen with the CBS look. Sorry if this has already been brought up/isn't new. 

Anyways, besides this, the overall chyrons have not changed so nothing else is implied or obvious. 

image.thumb.png.443dac5134dc62244924b3d307ba6486.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think they just wanted larger boxes. The ones in this package were still 4:3 safe if I recall and most of these newscasts live in double boxes now. 

I can’t imagine anything from this current look, which was a pretty lame evolution of the previous look, will show up in their new package. 

18 hours ago, noggi said:

I think they just wanted larger boxes. The ones in this package were still 4:3 safe if I recall and most of these newscasts live in double boxes now. 

I can’t imagine anything from this current look, which was a pretty lame evolution of the previous look, will show up in their new package. 

WJZ is using double 16:9 boxes now. Same background. Not full height. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, bostonmediaguy said:

Any predictions on whether or not a new look debuts on Super Bowl Sunday?

Most Likely because they are beginning transitions to new graphics already with CBS Sports. So sometime this week they may begin rollout. Because FOX O&Os rolled out there graphics this time last year (Super Bowl).

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

KOVR is using the newest version of Enforcer it seems here

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I think this is actually a derivative (or the same, not sure) of the Enforcer cut that WCCO uses. The whole version usually plays during the close of WCCO newscasts (I think). So I don't think this is new. As far as the new Enforcer cuts, I think KCNC is the only station to use it regularly (and I'm honestly not a fan --- it's so...dark. And oddly foreboding.)

• Like 4

On 2/5/2021 at 11:12 PM, Roadrunner said:

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I think this is actually a derivative (or the same, not sure) of the Enforcer cut that WCCO uses. The whole version usually plays during the close of WCCO newscasts (I think). So I don't think this is new. As far as the new Enforcer cuts, I think KCNC is the only station to use it regularly (and I'm honestly not a fan --- it's so...dark. And oddly foreboding.)

It’s not related to the WCCO track.

It likely is from the newer stuff, even though it sounds like it’s from 2005... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noggi said:

It’s not related to the WCCO track.

It likely is from the newer stuff, even though it sounds like it’s from 2005... 

For some reason it reminds me of the WTVJ 2012 theme

They've been using this music for a long time... It's been on the 11pm for a while.

This probably has nothing to do with new graphics, and more to do with their News Director liking this particular style of music (I've heard that he wasn't a fan of Inergy at Scripps, and that's why KTNV didn't have proper news opens until he left for KOVR)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

At this point, I wouldn't assume much about it. CBS is still dealing with an internal struggle over direction. A lot of egos butting heads, post-merger. O&O graphics are likely a bit on the back burner, at this time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 24994J said:

At this point, I wouldn't assume much about it. CBS is still dealing with an internal struggle over direction. A lot of egos butting heads, post-merger. O&O graphics are likely a bit on the back burner, at this time.

They'll likely get new creative leadership too. Bruce Bauer will exit.

16 minutes ago, HulkieD said:

I heard a choir of angels singing “HALLELUJAH” when you said that. 

Is Bruce in charge of the O&O look? Is he as bad as the (not going to name) person who is the creative director at WJZ who was so against the “look”

1 hour ago, SFTV said:

Is Bruce in charge of the O&O look? Is he as bad as the (not going to name) person who is the creative director at WJZ who was so against the “look”

He's the CBS Marketing Agency Creative Director (https://www.cbsmarketingagency.com/team). It's about time the O&Os work with someone other than Rey Rodriguez for their group design.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SFTV said:

Yes, but bad in a different way... (ask any woman who ever worked in creative at a CBS O&O...)

• 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

They just got new graphics -- I highly doubt they'll get new ones anytime soon

No, they didn't. The package they're using is 5 years old. They keep intermixing that with graphics from the 2013 package and the CBSN package. It's a branding mess. It shows your audience that you are unorganized and as it bleeds into the journalism, the audience senses that the stations aren't doing their best coverage.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 7

This package and the opens made their debut in April 2016.  The O&O look would  usually get redone every three years, though since 2010 it's been more evolution than revolution. Nothing in quite a while.  The weather graphics got a refresh about a year and a half ago;  they reflect the CBSN local streams.     They might not change a thing,  not worth the trouble and the expense,  but on the other hand since the stations group and CBS News have merged,  they might go in an entirely different branding direction.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

No, they didn't. The package they're using is 5 years old. They keep intermixing that with graphics from the 2013 package and the CBSN package. It's a branding mess. It shows your audience that you are unorganized and as it bleeds into the journalism, the audience senses that the stations aren't doing their best coverage.

gotcha -- would this explain why WFOR and WJW hasn't switched or "blended" what other stations have been using??

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

gotcha -- would this explain why WFOR and WJW hasn't switched or "blended" what other stations have been using??

Yep! Exactly. CBS has lost control. I honestly think it's time for National Amusements to sell. It's a mess.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Yep! Exactly. CBS has lost control. I honestly think it's time for National Amusements to sell. It's a mess.

After they've spent years re-integrating Viacom back into the fold, I don't see that happening. 

• Like 3