New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

On 6/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, SFTV said:

KPIX turned on the Bold on their lower thirds. Not sure if it’s an upgrade and prepping for the new graphics.

“Zoo Funding” was the before look.

55DA2632-A79A-4B14-80F2-272E26A40F85.png

0DDAE165-DBB2-46E7-8B09-16070CCF25AA.png

E105332B-EA31-4D4E-A346-F8BBBB0F40A5.png

hmm interesting... Wonder if WJZ will follow along if a new graphics package come. Though they had this 4 year old CBS O&O package for 2 of the 4 years wonder what they would do. But the a General Manager is young and fresh there so.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, caliwxdude said:

The few times I've watched CBSN (mostly back when the 10pm show on KBCW was still a thing), the slight misalignment between the bug and lower-third bar drives me crazy. Can't believe no one has fixed this yet.

cbsn-l3.png

THIS! 🤣 I thought I was the only one.

• Like 3

This is not new but I wanted to bring it up as a unique element that I'd seen only on WBZ (probably others have it too). The station's bug rotates out with the CBSN bug during newscasts and I think it's a subtle way to keep the station's CBSN brand relevant (since I feel the other O&Os just toss it aside, or at least they really have now). Something to think about if/when any new look comes rolling out, CBS TVNT reader.

image.png.7746014fe4200c204df285fea3a98773.png image.png.ee26e6f7b3557a74d416dcb4e85d6f8a.png 

Video for reference: https://boston.cbslocal.com/video/4683885-rep-lynch-calls-for-top-to-bottom-review-of-fort-hood/

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

Via KOVR13 

I think maybe aside from the "Possible PG&E Shutoffs," nothing else looks really new? See the similar recent example from CBS Chicago below, which has also already implemented CBSN. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything genuinely new for their on-air newscasts -- probably going to have to wait until maybe next year or even the year after. 

image.thumb.png.1eed3ba3a573f3ff7e21b934433906c1.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyNews said:

Via KOVR13 

F733EBCA-7686-4AA7-A95B-7424EFC7186A.png

That's their Investigative unit package. They've had it for a while.

From what I've heard from people "in the know":

-The weather graphics were only changed to the CBSN local package because most stations don't have the resources to maintain two looks.

-Any plans for new graphics are indefinitely on hold due to the Viacom takeover and COVID. 

I'm considering closing this thread, it's becoming a "graphics speculation" thread where people just point out any random oddity as a "sign" of new graphics.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Weeters said:

That's their Investigative unit package. They've had it for a while.

From what I've heard from people "in the know":

-The weather graphics were only changed to the CBSN local package because most stations don't have the resources to maintain two looks.

-Any plans for new graphics are indefinitely on hold due to the Viacom takeover and COVID. 

I'm considering closing this thread, it's becoming a "graphics speculation" thread where people just point out any random oddity as a "sign" of new graphics.

I do agree with you but I posted it because it kinda looked like those full screen graphics that have the CBSN look to them.

85C1D0AE-120A-45A6-AEF3-AAFE810683C7.png

56124F6F-0FB7-49C0-BE9B-1FF2FDCB43BA.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A bit vague, and I think any changes are a year or so down the line. But it's about time CBS overhauled their O&O look. Compared to their network counterparts, they are quite lackluster. 

Personally, I hope the CBS Sports package survives the updates. I enjoy it. Everything else? Let's give it a once (or twice) over. 

• Like 5

It's refreshing (and maybe even a little comforting) to see it finally sourced and published, but as much as I want to have high expectations, there have been quite a few new meh graphics launched as of recent, so I...won't hold my breath for CBS, given how they seem to bungle everything they launch.

Edited for my own takeaways:

A new five-note musical “mnemonic” will play before many CBS programs, and quietly debuted this past Sunday before “60 Minutes.”

CBS is not synonymous with a notable 'jingle' of sorts (like NBC's chime), so I'm interested to see if this will catch on.

The days of different fonts and signs for CBS News, CBS Sports and the CBS network are over – the first time the company has created a united design for all its properties. 

Well, we just saw CBS Evening News go through a massive change last year, but this definitely means the current look is being whacked. CBS EN, CBSN, and CBS Sports all have different fonts albeit similar in being "skinny-ish", so I'm kind of wondering how bold (or not) they'll go. 

CBS Sports will start to incorporate colors associated with the leagues it televises. 

Lol this just reminds me of how KDKA went rogue a few months back.

And CBS News will rely on black and white  – a means of portraying its product as down the middle and not associated overmuch with red or blue, which have been claimed by the nation’s two biggest political groups.

Viewers can expect to see the new marks for CBS News in the run-up to the unit’s coverage of the 2020 election

As far as this specific forum is concerned, this is the most relevant development and also the biggest clue about what will change -- definitely going to be really different because CBS EN is blue all over and CBSN is red all over. Interested to see what will come from this beyond what's visible from the debate coverage graphics.

Changes are in the works for designs associated with CBS Television Stations and CBS Television Distribution.

New designs call for the logo to appear in pieces, in some moments and come together in others.

This is the one main component without a stated timeline, so we probably have a lot longer to wait for CBS O&Os (and CBSN Locals, if they're even switching over either). Just IMO but I feel like the "pieces" part (referring to the new design elements for the Eye) might actually take kind of a large role with the O&Os in an effort to make things feel "modern" and "sleek," which we can't really describe for the current deployment of the Eye.

Pulling for CBS here to actually develop something stunning given how major of a network it is, but it's generally lagging so far behind the other two nets so in the end, will graphics really make a difference? Probably only for us newsies.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 5

It looks like CBS is quickly rolling out their new look across their Network Promos, Show Promos, and Social Media. The core sports package package is unchanged, but I noticed that their fullscreen promos for upcoming games, tonight's shows, etc were the "new look."

I also caught a liner in the second CBS game (I can't for the life of me remember which game we carried) that mentioned big changes coming in November, but I was only half listening so I'm not exactly sure of the full context. Perhaps an updated look for The Masters? I can't imagine they'd change their election night look this late in the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

It looks like CBS is quickly rolling out their new look across their Network Promos, Show Promos, and Social Media. The core sports package package is unchanged, but I noticed that their fullscreen promos for upcoming games, tonight's shows, etc were the "new look."

I also caught a liner in the second CBS game (I can't for the life of me remember which game we carried) that mentioned big changes coming in November, but I was only half listening so I'm not exactly sure of the full context. Perhaps an updated look for The Masters? I can't imagine they'd change their election night look this late in the game.

I would assume you got NYG-DAL earlier today.

2 hours ago, Casey Buck said:

I'd argue that the 4 note signature from their early-mid 90's ID counts as a jingle.

You make a good point, though I argue the deprecation of that signature means most have forgotten it or simply never heard of it.

--------------

For a breakdown, Newscast Studio has also published an overview with clips for reference of the new mnemonic and other comparisons.

3 hours ago, Casey Buck said:

I'd argue that the 4 note signature from their early-mid 90's ID counts as a jingle.

it's really a three-note logo (not the first note before the "This is CBS" VO). There have been several other bumpers with that three note logo (including the "Welcome Home" days).

Vid courtesy of "eyeontv" from YT.

• Like 1