CHEK debuts a new set and new graphics

skbl17

In the summer of 2009, CHEK-DT in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada was on the verge of shutting down. Parent company Canwest opted to close its over-the-air E! network, leaving its stations sold off (CHCH, CJNT, etc.,) repurposed (CHBC,) or shut down (CHCA and CHEK). CHEK's employees and local business owners teamed up to buy the station from Canwest and save it from shutting down on August 31, and after securing a "stay of execution" for the station to allow time for further negotiations, the employee-led consortium and Canwest reached an agreement on September 4, 2009. The consortium purchased the station for $2, and Canwest provided transitional support as CHEK began a new era as a locally-owned, independent station. (There was a TVNT thread about all this, and the saga was mentioned in the thread on the break up of ABC 33/40).

This year, the station is celebrating 10 years of independence, and why not celebrate by debuting a new set and graphics package?

The previous set dated to 2009, with the last graphics package dating to 2012. I think this is a nice refresh, and the set is quite good for a locally-owned independent station.

(Videos courtesy of Emarsee)

3 hours ago, ED2 said:

The graphics and new set are very nice. Did CHEK switch to HD production or are they still SD?

The newscasts, at least, have been HD for a few years now.

2 hours ago, ED2 said:

It was in 16x9 Standard Definition the last time I tuned in to CHEK News. Didn't know they switched to full HD production. 

Oh. 16x9 SD? Maybe I'm wrong then; I don't live in Victoria or on Vancouver Island so I can't verify if it's full HD. I'd be surprised if CHEK wasn't in full HD by now, considering how ubiquitous it is.

Also, Emarsee posted a full montage of the new look:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like studio cameras and live truck feeds are still in SD, field footage, video playback, and graphics are in HD. I can't really tell, I wish I had CHEK on cable. 

Archived