WJW Cleveland New Set Soon

news89

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

These are the graphics WGHP should be using.

But, that set is so cold. I hate this and sets like it. It's not modern. It's industrial.

They are pretty good fits for working, blue-collar cities like Chicago and Cleveland.

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

But, that set is so cold. I hate this and sets like it. It's not modern. It's industrial.

Yet, we don't know what it actually looks like, motions and all. Please keep waiting with your patience until we see it in action. Who knows, it could be WGHP's graphics or someone else's. I haven't seen the package yet in any of these preview videos.

18 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Yet, we don't know what it actually looks like, motions and all. Please keep waiting with your patience until we see it in action. Who knows, it could be WGHP's graphics or someone else's. I haven't seen the package yet in any of these preview videos.

Look at the standalone monitor near the left of the video (around 0:51). You'll see the Tribune FOX package from 2013.

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Cleveland at its heart is still a rust-belt city with a steel mill heritage. I give BDI a lot of credit for a set design that feels unique and meant for the market, even if it is based off of the WGN-TV set.

3 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Or...SURPRISE!!!!! it could STILL be the same graphics. 😂

5 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

You clearly haven't watched the video.

The monitor wall and the desk duratran all point to the Fox 2013 which is far superior to the WGHP package... Also, the WGHP package is not the same as the WGN package. It's a bastardization.

WXMI uses a lot of the WGN elements (except the L3s).

17 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Thanks for the credit, @news89

The set looks really great! Can't wait to see it debut on Monday!

BDI also made the previous set and the current WEWS set and the 2001 WKYC set. I have a hunch that I am seeing a hint of WEWS on the anchor desk. And yes, FOX 8 IS getting a new graphics package and music as Todd Meany mentioned.

11 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

While I've been on the record applauding what WJW's art department was able to do with what they were limited to, Todd Meany explicitly says in the video that they'll also be debuting a new graphics package and music on Monday. Only the logo remains the same.

58 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

While I've been on the record applauding what WJW's art department was able to do with what they were limited to, Todd Meany explicitly says in the video that they'll also be debuting a new graphics package and music on Monday. Only the logo remains the same.

I watched the video myself prior to the post so I know WJW is likely getting the TribFox package. As old as it is, it could be WGHP and its butchering of the WGN package.

image.png.b768e78b6692628577ad6f0ce0e2d6cb.png  

I'd call this a visual confirmation of the Tribune graphics.   I do wonder if it will in any way be tweaked/customized for 2019...particularly in how they'll handle the visual representation of "Cleveland's Own" in the open...  Good thing we won't have to wait long.

Overall, that set is a big improvement. While very similar to WGHP, it definitely feels like a premium version of the same set.  It seems smaller than the O&O set, in my opinion - so I wonder where they plan to stage music performances in this new set-up.  

It's the best set in the market.  Now I'm hoping WKYC will step it up in advance of their 2020 5pm newscast launch, Jay Crawford, etc...

I imagine they will use Gotham.  I was talking about in the open...how KDVR has "Denver" written here.

Is this where it will say "Cleveland's Own"?  (Silly observation on my part - just wondering how the package would accommodate that slogan, if at all.)

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 2.55.40 PM.png

12 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I watched the video myself prior to the post so I know WJW is likely getting the TribFox package. As old as it is, it could be WGHP and its butchering of the WGN package.

It's clearly not that old since Nexstar is using a knock-off of it.

13 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

How sad for WJW to end up with Nexstar.

If we were talking about pre-MG Nexstar, then yes. Just like MG become more like LIN, Nexstar became more like Media General. Look at WKBN, for instance. If it was old Nexstar, the website domain would’ve easily been “myvalleymatters.com” or “outlocal21becausenexstarmatters.com” and easily shared with WYTV. As it stands, other than finally getting the virtual set and slowly phasing in the CBS package, Nexstar has largely been hands-off.

24 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

Could be worse. Could've been Sinclair. 

Actually, I think Sinclair is a better operator. IMO, the big reason so many people complain about their "must runs" is because the talent they use is mostly awful. Mark Hyman, Boris Epshteyn and people like that make my skin crawl and I tend to agree with them politically. It's just BAD TV!

11 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

If we were talking about pre-MG Nexstar, then yes. Just like MG become more like LIN, Nexstar became more like Media General. Look at WKBN, for instance. If it was old Nexstar, the website domain would’ve easily been “myvalleymatters.com” or “outlocal21becausenexstarmatters.com” and easily shared with WYTV. As it stands, other than finally getting the virtual set and slowly phasing in the CBS package, Nexstar has largely been hands-off.

I still look at Nexstar as a low-rent, small market, cheeseball operator. Maybe that isn't fair, but that's the impression I have. They need a better name and logo ... and their corporate ID at the end of newscasts is just stupid. Almost as stupid as Sinclair's "Connecting People Through Content" slogan.

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

It's clearly not that old since Nexstar is using a knock-off of it.

It rolled out to pre-Local TV Tribune Fox affiliates around spring/summer of 2013, which makes it 6 years old. Granted, it’s not a seriously dated package like Scripps V2 and maybe WJW might modify it, so stay tuned.

1 hour ago, DirtyHarry said:

How sad for WJW to end up with Nexstar.

As far as I know that could change - since Fox is interested in taking them back...

Like others have noted, Nexstar isn’t as horrible as it once was - at least visually.  I like their approach to standardization, giving stations some flexibility to “localize” (haha) their brand.  It’s definitely better than the one-size-fits-all approach of TEGNA and Sinclair (aside from a few outliers like WKRC). 

That said, I’m glad to see this set in play now - because I would’ve hated to see another WISH/WHTM clone come to Cleveland. It’s a nice set but it’s getting to be as overplayed as the Dalek desk.

20 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

Like others have noted, Nexstar isn’t as horrible as it once was - at least visually.  I like their approach to standardization, giving stations some flexibility to “localize” (haha) their brand.

Agreed with this; if there's one good thing about the social era and Media General merger, it's that both combined to finally stop the long regional domain names that sounded cute on-air, but are a nightmare to use as an online handle compared to four call letters and make a shared story in another market look like it was created by a fake website or one of those awful people who goes out to accident scenes and calls their gruesome 'uploaded before the next of kin was notified' pictures 'local news'.

Archived