WJW Cleveland New Set Soon

news89

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand demo will start at midnight. If I understood correctly tomorrow morning news will be on the main desk . Then the current desk and durtans behind the desk will move into studioB.   I watched Andre IG video just few minutes ago and he said they will no longer have a Chroma key wall moving to LED wall. 

6 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I know nothing about WJW - what's in Studio B where they couldn't have built the set there to begin with?

Studio B has the New Day Cleveland set. 

6 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I know nothing about WJW - what's in Studio B where they couldn't have built the set there to begin with?

Studio B has the New Day Cleveland setup with kitchen, and soft set area.  It is a smaller studio the station moved part of the 97-07 set into the studioB.  This was in 2007 when the soon to be old set was being built. Fun fact 07-97 set is the almost the same set design as the old WJZ set. (Same set design company)

Screenshot_20190616-214635_YouTube.jpg

21 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Let's hope they get some better graphics too...

Yes and hopefully the OSI music will be retired as well.

Very tight shot of the desk at the close of the newscast.  They had some audio issues with microphones.

20190622_233352.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up and worked in that building as a teenage copyboy in 1977-1980. Studio B was the news studio and A was for Noontime, public affairs, Hoolihan

and Big Chuck, etc... Studio A is a very nice studio. In my opinion that place is planned out nicer than WKYC which I am also very familiar with.

They have enough room to do something very cool in there. Can't wait to see what we'll see.

6 hours ago, Vidifont said:

I grew up and worked in that building as a teenage copyboy in 1977-1980. Studio B was the news studio and A was for Noontime, public affairs, Hoolihan

and Big Chuck, etc... Studio A is a very nice studio. In my opinion that place is planned out nicer than WKYC which I am also very familiar with.

They have enough room to do something very cool in there. Can't wait to see what we'll see.

I know that WEWS flip-flopped studios in 1998 (with their Novocom NewsChannel5 revamp)  When i visited in 2002, they had the main news set in their larger studio and everything else (Ohio Lottery, Academic Challenge & Cash Explosion) in the smaller one.  I guess as stations became more news-intensive, they devoted their larger studios to expansive news sets since they have moved away from other studio programming (in most cases).

WJW's 1996 set was pretty expansive...was it also in Studio A?

Yes, the WJW 1996 set was in studio A also.

As for WEWS, the large studio at the front of the building was instantly made smaller when they built an HD control room.

This took a chunk of studio space away. Previously, they built a sports area upstairs on the other side of the

studio and this also took studio space away. When they do a wide shot, the camera is almost touching the back wall.

Stations don't seem to understand, less space = less camera angles which affects HD depth control.

WOIO is in the basement and their news set is so crammed into the small space they call a studio. You can see it on the air. Embarrassing

to say the least. I feel like the anchor's script might fall out of my television onto my living room floor.

I never realized this before but WJW has two different font styles for the "8" on the current set. There is the FOX 8 logo and the 8 used

on set pieces and in the newsroom live shot. I have always disliked the 8 used in the logo. It's goofy looking. The other 8 looks modern. Almost like Avant Garde. Just look at the pics in this thread.

6 hours ago, Vidifont said:

I never realized this before but WJW has two different font styles for the "8" on the current set. There is the FOX 8 logo and the 8 used

on set pieces and in the newsroom live shot. I have always disliked the 8 used in the logo. It's goofy looking. The other 8 looks modern. Almost like Avant Garde. Just look at the pics in this thread.

Interesting....I always figured the "8" has largely remained the same ever since the dawn of FOX 8 in 1996. 

Set-wise, it was probably a Fox oversight since they were literally getting this set as they were being sold off to Local TV LLC...

They had a good thing going with the boxed "8" logo in 1994 when they switched to Fox...then came the dreaded ei8ht.... IS.... NEWS!  I'm surprised this leapfrogged the longtime TV8 logo used for years after the first "ei8ht"!

Fox had so many good looks going that they ruined with the O&O look, and worse, they copied and pasted numbers in different cities.  like the "8" ended up on WGHP as well and most notably, the "13" from WTVT ended up in Memphis on WHBQ.

I still think their Giant Octopus package from 2002 is the best they've ever looked, even though it suffered through the transition to HD...

• 3 weeks later...

They've posted a sneak peak of their set that debuts Monday.

It was designed by BDI and damn it's nice. It reminds me a lot of the WGN set. They are also getting new graphics and music! As for music: I predict they are getting Beyond or Propulsion. Looks like they are getting the Tribune FOX package.

https://fox8.com/2019/08/21/get-the-first-look-at-our-brand-new-set-before-you-see-it-on-tv/

3 hours ago, news89 said:

Here is the sneak peek of the new set at WJW.  Built by BDI and same set up as WGN. Also getting the Tribune Fox graphics.

Thanks tjt24 for the heads up on the video.

Thanks for the credit, @news89

The set looks really great! Can't wait to see it debut on Monday!

Archived