Helicopter Crash Coverage

RealNews18

2 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

Once again FOX5 is the only station not in “breaking news” mode for the helicopter crash. 

They’re on as of 2:50 with Ernie Anastos.. last of all stations

Well FOX-5 contributed to the FNC coverage with Sheppard Smith,

Otherwise this is not really much of a "breaking news" story...

The shot is a blocked off street with a bunch of fat cops sucking up the overtime.

Maybe we will see some better footage later.

"I thought it was 9-11 all over again".

I turned it off over an hour ago,  and I'm watching "The Love Bug" the original uncut and un-sanitized version on BYU-TV.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:46 PM, Eat News said:

Well FOX-5 contributed to the FNC coverage with Sheppard Smith,

Otherwise this is not really much of a "breaking news" story...

The shot is a blocked off street with a bunch of fat cops sucking up the overtime.

Maybe we will see some better footage later.

"I thought it was 9-11 all over again".

I turned it off over an hour ago,  and I'm watching "The Love Bug" the original uncut and un-sanitized version on BYU-TV.

Wait, what? How is it not breaking news? A helicopter crashed into a whole skyscraper. 

57 minutes ago, kshow said:

Wait, what? How is it not breaking news? A helicopter crashed into a whole skyscraper. 

It was also during a heavy downpour, in a no fly zone, and blocks from trump tower.  For NY, it was a breaking news story.  But the trash newsmagazine took priority.

1 hour ago, kshow said:

An hour into the story...

The fire was out...the pilot was dead, the evacuation was over, there was no video of anything, and terrorism was ruled out.

The emergency was over.

And the was NO interesting video, except for some cops butts and, a huge "PIX11" umbrella.

No longer "breaking news".

Stations used to have some standards.

But why even bother watching when all you see is amateur speculation on the part ignorant reporters and anchors.

My rule on any "breaking news"...

Turn-off the TV for 24 hours, and wait for all guessing and speculation to end.

Did they manage to blame the President  for the crash yet?

Did the pilot sacrifice his life so we wouldn't have to see John Dean on tv again?

If I tuned out then you know the story was over.

Frankly if you all wish to know the bitter truth...

The death count was too low for national interest once the emergency was over.

Blame it on the "National Desk".

Nothing to see here...

Sorry, Eat. A helicopter crashing on top of a New York building IS news in New York.

Also, it's strange justifying Fox 5's apparently taking an hour to come on the air by saying... it's no longer breaking news an hour later?

I'm not sure what the purpose of your word association ranting was but it veered way off topic.

16 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Sorry, Eat. A helicopter crashing on top of a New York building IS news in New York.

Agreed. I work a block from where that crash happened and to say there was a deep lump in my throat when we heard would be an enormous understatement.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:30 PM, TSSZNews said:

Agreed. I work a block from where that crash happened and to say there was a deep lump in my throat when we heard would be an enormous understatement.

I get that you and others feel emotional about the story for whatever personal reasons. But at some point "breaking" news is no longer breaking. Sure stations run the term "breaking news" into the ground because of lazyness and a unknown fear the are being beaten .

Those of us that experienced  9-11 firsthand remember that it escalated very quickly...so quickly that nobody bothered to call it "breaking news"...I bet you can't even find any NYC station or network that ran a breaking news graphics ( go look so you can prove me wrong) anytime during the initial coverage.

When the shit hits the fan you don't need a breaking news graphic to tell you it's real.

The copter crash was no longer breaking news after about an hour...the emergency was over and the site was contained. The visuals sucked, and the rest of the country was on to bigger things... so it was time to bail on the national coverage.

In "wire speak" ...

"There was NO new Top."

The is an old saying on the  Assignment Desk...

"It's not news unless we say so".

The story was pretty much over.

Someone at the desk needs to take the emotion out of  it...and make a rational decision about coverage and the COST associated with that coverage.

It's about profit remember?

4 hours ago, Eat News said:

I bet you can't even find any NYC station or network that ran a breaking news graphics ( go look so you can prove me wrong) anytime during the initial coverage.

WPIX actually managed to get in the audio to their morning breaking news open at the immediate start of coverage. Y'know, the one using their early 2000's, upbeat morning theme with the lady singing. You can actually hear the audio operator trying to pull out the singing in real time.

If anyone though the Tegna C Clarity claps and "ooh ahhs" were inappropriate for breaking news...

4 hours ago, Eat News said:

I get that you and others feel emotional about the story for whatever personal reasons. But at some point "breaking" news is no longer breaking. Sure stations run the term "breaking news" into the ground because of lazyness and a unknown fear the are being beaten .

Those of us that experienced  9-11 firsthand remember that it escalated very quickly...so quickly that nobody bothered to call it "breaking news"...I bet you can't even find any NYC station or network that ran a breaking news graphics ( go look so you can prove me wrong) anytime during the initial coverage...

I’ve got not dog in this fight but Katie and Matt literally referred to the 9/11 attacks as breaking news right before taking a brief commercial break and called it that as soon as they came back from the break.

2 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I’ve got not dog in this fight but Katie and Matt literally referred to the 9/11 attacks as breaking news right before taking a brief commercial break and called it that as soon as they came back from the break.

You're missing Eat's point. When 9/11 happened, nobody really bothered to even wait until they had special breaking news graphics cued up until they went on air.

WPIX cut to a live picture with lower thirds and a VO. WNBC didn't even have a lower third at first, they just cut to a live picture with a VO. WABC actually went on-air so fast that they used the wrong cart ("This has been an ABC7 Eyewitness News special report.") WNYW was on the air when it happened. They just went to their reporter a few blocks away. The only station that managed to cue up a "breaking news" animation was WCBS.

The point is 9/11 happened so fast that they didn't have time to sensationalize it. Nobody covered their screens in "BREAKING NEWS!!!" graphics and animations because the pictures spoke for themselves. I doubt anyone rushed this to air quite like they did on 9/11 (though they did rush into plenty of tweeting and speculation with little fact behind them immediately after it happened.)  This helicopter crash happened in poor weather, giving you plenty of reasoning to think it could have been an accident, and it was sensationalized like this could be a new 9/11, even after the facts started coming out, and despite the fact that nobody had anything decent to show of the actual accident, except blocky street-level video fed off bonded cellular backpacks trying their best to push out a signal over the congested cell phone networks.

9/11 was covered like it was because it was news. This was covered like it was because the stations could sensationalize it like it was another 9/11, until they couldn't, and even then, they kept going.

9 hours ago, Eat News said:

The copter crash was no longer breaking news after about an hour...the emergency was over and the site was contained. The visuals sucked, and the rest of the country was on to bigger things... so it was time to bail on the national coverage.

You're repeating your circular logic and trying to distract by going way off topic.  Your argument is that the station should not have bothered to break in for the first hour because... it was no longer breaking news AFTER an hour? That makes zero sense.

And then you somehow use your very faulty memory of 9/11 to justify whatever point it is you're struggling to make. Many called the first WTC plane crash breaking news or a special report from the start.

Your posts are usually bizarre but the ones in this thread really take the cake.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:45 AM, Eat News said:

Those of us that experienced  9-11 firsthand remember that it escalated very quickly...so quickly that nobody bothered to call it "breaking news"...I bet you can't even find any NYC station or network that ran a breaking news graphics ( go look so you can prove me wrong) anytime during the initial coverage.

When the shit hits the fan you don't need a breaking news graphic to tell you it's real.

Something I've always wondered but never asked...why were any choppers, outside of emergency choppers, allowed it the air? Was it because they were local news and they got it ok? I would've thought they'd try to ground ALL aircraft in NYC.

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

Something I've always wondered but never asked...why were any choppers, outside of emergency choppers, allowed it the air? Was it because they were local news and they got it ok? I would've thought they'd try to ground ALL aircraft in NYC.

If you’re referring to 9/11 the airspace was closed relatively quickly at 9:08 (the south tower was hit at 9:03) all flights going through or to NYC air space were banned.  All US airspace was closed to civilian aircraft at 9:45 - eight minutes after the Pentagon was attacked (9:37) and they had to land at the closest airport.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_for_the_day_of_the_September_11_attacks

Archived