Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Kenneth Kissel

TEGNA To Acquire Dispatch Broadcast Group

For those saying sale the Radio stations... If you live in Columbus, WBNS is SPORTS RADIO in Columbus. There is Zero Debate about it! iHeart tried and others did as well... They aren't here anymore! The Fan is a Monster Brand in the city that Tegna just got and how they do with tie stuff together here... This could be a major opportunity to them if done right. They own the rights to the major teams of the Buckeyes, Blue Jackets and Crew with other things as well. If you are a sports organization in Columbus you better be airing on The Fan.

• Like 3

I’m not familiar with the radio business (save my NPR contributions), especially in Ohio.  (Me)  Seeing TEGNA as a TV owner, I could see at some point, if they decided to sell the radio stations, that the high paper value could work to their advantage (either in resale and/or tax liabilities...).

J

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think the graphics are bad, but I could take or leave the music. 

At least Tegna graphics aren't a ripoff of another groups graphics, like what WBBH currently has. 

As far as the radio side goes, I think the stations Tegna has will make a lot of money for the group as a whole. If they can get the right digital marketing strategy going there could be a lot of money on the table.

Edited by DENDude
Correct spelling error.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Re: C Clarity

I could live without the oohs and aahs, otherwise it isn't bad.

https://youtu.be/nS8I1FHOCTk

I agree. I've always wondered how much creative control the local stations have over the implementation. For example, KGW does not use any cuts with the oohs and ahhs. They either use alternate mixes without the vocals, or other themes.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, WxNerd said:

Do you think We'll have C Clarity @ WTHR & WBNS by the end of the year?

Most likely. My guess is that that the Tegna graphics tank could probably bang out all the customized graphics for a station within a week or so (maybe faster if absolutely necessary, which is never). But, there really is no need to rush, so they probably spread out the work more evenly between their other duties, making it'll take longer.

However, I would bet that the biggest issue in implementing new graphics is dependent on the hardware/graphics system at acquired stations. If it's something that has to be upgraded or changed, that is what will take the most time.... to plan, buy, install, and train people. Idk if all Tegna stations have to use the same graphics software/hardware for control room playout, or whether their graphics can be played out using various systems.

• Like 2

Just one little barometer of how far the news business has fallen. Think about how big Gannett is and how many titles they own. If you look at the Gannett purchase price, $1.4 billion, and compare that to what Tegna paid for Dispatch ($535 million). Roughly 2.5 times the purchase price of two TV and two radio stations.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:07 AM, PTVNews said:

I agree. I've always wondered how much creative control the local stations have over the implementation. For example, KGW does not use any cuts with the oohs and ahhs. They either use alternate mixes without the vocals, or other themes.

Most likely. My guess is that that the Tegna graphics tank could probably bang out all the customized graphics for a station within a week or so (maybe faster if absolutely necessary, which is never). But, there really is no need to rush, so they probably spread out the work more evenly between their other duties, making it'll take longer.

However, I would bet that the biggest issue in implementing new graphics is dependent on the hardware/graphics system at acquired stations. If it's something that has to be upgraded or changed, that is what will take the most time.... to plan, buy, install, and train people. Idk if all Tegna stations have to use the same graphics software/hardware for control room playout, or whether their graphics can be played out using various systems.

I know for a fact, WBNS and WTHR both run VizRT as the graphics system. I don't know what Tegna runs its graphics system from.

20 minutes ago, ColumbusNewsFan said:

I know for a fact, WBNS and WTHR both run VizRT as the graphics system. I don't know what Tegna runs its graphics system from.

Gannett used Chyron at one point, but that may have changed over the past 5 years. Belo started to roll out Miranda in late 2012; Gannett may or may not have finished the rollout among the by then ex-Belo stations. I'm not sure if TEGNA (or the ex-Belo stations that went to Meredith) is continuing to use Miranda.

Edited by Conrad

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

Gannett used Chyron at one point, but that may have changed over the past 5 years. Belo started to roll out Miranda in late 2012; Gannett may or may not have finished the rollout among the by then ex-Belo stations. I'm not sure if TEGNA (or the ex-Belo stations that went to Meredith) is continuing to use Miranda.

I just learned through a source of mine that KGW currently uses Miranda. I've never really heard of it.

8 hours ago, Breaking News said:

I think the fact that this became a story means that Apollo is getting nowhere and wanted to force the issue with investors through the media. Scripps and Tegna outbid them for the Nexstar stations, I'm guessing the same for the WBNS/WTHR. They don't need Apollo.

6 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I think the fact that this became a story means that Apollo is getting nowhere and wanted to force the issue with investors through the media. Scripps and Tegna outbid them for the Nexstar stations, I'm guessing the same for the WBNS/WTHR. They don't need Apollo.

If the deal was as sour it may seems to be; Hearst which put it bid in would of been great to get Cox Stations.  There (3) markets that have conflicts, Orlando, Pittsburgh & Boston, and those could of been iron out.  Cox & Hearst both privately held and both have good stations.  The new normal broadcasting companies; Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA & Scripps which all are nothing but mediocre broadcasting companies.  At least Cox & Hearst standards have always been high.  As for Apollo I wonder what their standards will be? [Time will tell]

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

If the deal was as sour it may seems to be; Hearst which put it bid in would of been great to get Cox Stations.  There (3) markets that have conflicts, Orlando, Pittsburgh & Boston, and those could of been iron out.  Cox & Hearst both privately held and both have good stations.  The new normal broadcasting companies; Sinclair, Nexstar, Gray, TEGNA & Scripps which all are nothing but mediocre broadcasting companies.  At least Cox & Hearst standards have always been high.  As for Apollo I wonder what their standards will be? [Time will tell]

and if all else fails, may as well be O&O or Independent (Whichever Works).  The Dispatch Broadcast Group does deserve a better company though.

Edited by Darius22
  • Like 1