Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Kenneth Kissel

TEGNA To Acquire Dispatch Broadcast Group

https://www.10tv.com/article/wolfe-family-sells-wbns-wthr-tegna-2019-jun

The Dispatch Broadcast Group has announced the sale of its television and radio properties to TEGNA Inc.  This is a sad day for TV. Both stations were leaders in their markets and Tegna will ruin them. :(.  This Picture is when I helped them cover the Ohio State vs Purdue game. 

20181020_222109.jpg

Edited by 24994J
Added where i took picture of WBNS's news truck.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

https://www.10tv.com/article/wolfe-family-sells-wbns-wthr-tegna-2019-jun

The Dispatch Broadcast Group has announced the sale of its television and radio properties to TEGNA Inc.  This is a sad day for TV. Both stations were leaders in their markets and Tenga will ruin them. :(.  This Picture is when I helped them cover the Ohio State vs Purdue game. 

20181020_222109.jpg

“Tenga” 

Do not look it up. You've been warned.

I learned the “hard” way (if you will) that I should always make sure I’m spelling Tegna right when I google it. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Haha 2

This does feel like a big L for Hearst, but if I'm working for either of those stations, I look at what Tegna's done to once shining stars in the portfolio - WFAA and WWL - and it's hard not to be concerned.  These are more traditional news markets largely BECAUSE of these stations, so doing something different is a huge risk. If they can be run more like KING or KGW than the aforementioned, they have a chance.

Also beginning to wonder if Tegna's just on a buying spree for the heck of it. I look toward the smaller Texas stations they acquired - I'd say maybe one or two of them actually look like they've had resources poured into them since Tegna took over.

Also - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this makes WRAL the last major independently-owned television station in the entire country. That's a sobering thought.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

This does feel like a big L for Hearst, but if I'm working for either of those stations, I look at what Tegna's done to once shining stars in the portfolio - WFAA and WWL - and it's hard not to be concerned.  These are more traditional news markets largely BECAUSE of these stations, so doing something different is a huge risk. If they can be run more like KING or KGW than the aforementioned, they have a chance.

Also beginning to wonder if Tegna's just on a buying spree for the heck of it. I look toward the smaller Texas stations they acquired - I'd say maybe one or two of them actually look like they've had resources poured into them since Tegna took over.

Also - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this makes WRAL the last major independently-owned television station in the entire country. That's a sobering thought.

Griffin's KWTV says hi

• Like 3

Just now, oknewsguy said:

Griffin's KWTV says hi

I knew I'd forget someone - guess you can throw KOTV in the mix too.

Wonder how long they'll all last...

6 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Given how the Griffin's have their operations set up in Oklahoma are similar to what the Wolfe's has in Indiana and Ohio it wouldn't surprise me if Griffin is next (it was already mentioned in the speculatron board too that Griffin might not be that far behind Dispatch)

14 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I can count about 20-25 news-producing independents left, although that number will likely continue to decrease. I know admin frowns on lists here.

1 hour ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Do we know why Hearst hasn't been sweeping up some of these larger DMA stations?? I would think they would like some of the larger stations... Indy and Columbus would've made perfect choices.... I'm not  a fan of WTHR being TEGNA-fied

Likely the same reason Cox wasn't gobbling up stations: too much fat within the company sucking up the money.

At this point, Hearst is bait for another Apollo to come along and enter TV with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

Likely the same reason Cox wasn't gobbling up stations: too much fat within the company sucking up the money.

At this point, Hearst is bait for another Apollo to come along and enter TV with.

Maybe with Apollo itself to combine Hearst's stations with those of Cox, Meredith and Northwest? We can carry that conversation over here 

Edited by oknewsguy

Yeah the more I think about it (and of course I won't list them here) there are definitely a few more than just WRAL - I suppose I single them out on account of them being so dominant and respected. Indisputable that the number is dwindling, however.

Remember, Capitol owns more than just WRAL; they also own WRAZ and WILM, though the latter is probably duopoly bait now that it's an independent.

Meanwhile, there's also KSL.

And Sunbeam.

17 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

“Tenga” 

Do not look it up. You've been warned.

I learned the hard way (as it were) that I should always make sure I’m spelling Tegna right when I google it. 

I found out the Station actually spelled it wrong when i copied the Title from WBNS's website. I fixed it on my post and the Title of the Forum.

13 hours ago, mre29 said:

Remember, Capitol owns more than just WRAL; they also own WRAZ and WILM, though the latter is probably duopoly bait now that it's an independent.

Meanwhile, there's also KSL.

And Sunbeam.

In small to mid-sized markets, news-producing, network independents left that I can think of are KJTV, KNBN, KOBI/KOTI, KOMU, KRGV/WBRZ, KTBS, KTVA, KTWO, WBBH/WZVN, WBKB, WBOC, WFMJ, WHIZ, WINK, WOAY, WPSD and WWTV/WWUP. You could arguably count the Rockfleet and Sarkes Tarzian stations too but not sure if one of them is in their HQ market. I might be missing a couple others.