WTSP new set

Georgie56

Good question, 8Viewer.  Morning Meteorologist Grant Gilmore stated earlier this week on Twitter that the updates are half done.  There is a slow-motion video of him having challenges using a sledgehammer on another portion of the newsroom, so I doubt we'll see the production studio again soon.  It's too bad, though, since I think it was colorful and contemporary, and could have been updated without much effort.

My understanding is that since 2017 they've exclusively been using the newsroom as the working news set. I assume they've probably dismantled their old set.  Then again, I haven't followed WTSP at all since 2016. 

WTSP's building has two production studios, one in use for "Great Day Tampa Bay".  The area of the newsroom with the video walls used to be the assignment desk area prior to 2017 with a server room behind it and the old weather center on the right (south) end of the floor space. Also used to be a window at the north end of the newsroom but they covered it up. Approx. 5000 square ft in total. 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, Georgie56 said:

Not sure how we missed this. Looks like WTSP debuted their version of the TEGNA set couple of days ago.

It's okay. I'm pretty sure most of Tampa missed this too, along with everything about WTSP's news product. 😂

2 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

Interesting to note the lack of robotic cameras. I'm assuming they have somebody moving those around despite the fact they laid off their camera operators back in 2001. 

KUSA has non-robotic cameras only for Daily Blast Live that look identical to the picture above. However all of the other studio cameras for KUSA/KTVD local newscasts remain robotic.    Interesting they have dropped the robo cams. 

22 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

Interesting to note the lack of robotic cameras. I'm assuming they have somebody moving those around despite the fact they laid off their camera operators back in 2001. 

18 hours ago, NateinFLA said:

Those are robotic cameras.

TEGNA hasn’t been interested in buying the full blown robotic cameras that can physically move on their own, let alone one with a height drive.  They seem more interested in inserting PTZ cameras in teleprompter hoods (which I’m told makes the image “flat” and “drives set designers nuts”). 

They also need someone to clean up the wiring. 

5 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

TEGNA hasn’t been interested in buying the full blown robotic cameras that can physically move on their own, let alone one with a height drive.  They seem more interested in inserting PTZ cameras in teleprompter hoods.  

They also need someone to clean up the wiring. 

Those pictured at WTSP are robotic PT heads with full camera head and lens. No robotic elevator or trucking control, though.

Easiest way to tell a robotic camera at a glance: look to see where the camera operator can adjust the camera. If there aren’t arms, zoom and focus controls, it’s robotic.

1 hour ago, NateinFLA said:

Those pictured at WTSP are robotic PT heads with full camera head and lens. No robotic elevator or trucking control, though.

Easiest way to tell a robotic camera at a glance: look to see where the camera operator can adjust the camera. If there aren’t arms, zoom and focus controls, it’s robotic.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. 

Anyway, they should change their name from "10 News" to "Hip Trendsetter News". 

3 hours ago, NateinFLA said:

I realize they were full cameras.  I was just pointing out a generalization that they have increasingly just put PTZ cameras in teleprompters on stands that don’t appear to be height adjustable. 

• 2 months later...

I've been watching WTSP online and I have to say I hate the weather standups in front of that video wall. The maps are way more difficult to read. Just do the weather in front of a chroma key for Pete's sake. I also don't get why they often will do a wide shot of the video wall with that area to the left of it. It's just more distracting.

That and the 'swoosh' they do with the camera from one area to another. Good lord. How can 'TV people' be content with this? 

On 6/8/2019 at 2:50 PM, DENDude said:

KUSA has non-robotic cameras only for Daily Blast Live that look identical to the picture above. However all of the other studio cameras for KUSA/KTVD local newscasts remain robotic.    Interesting they have dropped the robo cams. 

I would hardly call that a KUSA production. It's a TEGNA production that has taken over KUSA's only other studio, but management is exclusively separate.

Archived