John Elliott moved to weekends?

Geoffrey

2 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Right now Bill looks happy at Sag Harbor. I know everyone wants Bill back. However, on the basis of travel from Sag Harbor to Manhattan. Bill would have to possibly move back to Manhattan in order to make things work. TINY starts at 4AM. Prep starts between 2:00 and 2:30 (if I'm correct). Right now I can't see Bill moving to WNBC. They are pretty well structured there. If anything 57th Street is possibly his calling if the money and contract is correct.

Right,  and he has stated that he does not miss getting up at 2am.  He has a manhattan apartment so I am sure he would have to move back there.  He has stated  that he wants to come back but maybe at a later time, which makes me think that with Chris Cimino leaving, would Dave Price take his time slot and Bill take the 11 and 4 pm timeslot?  But not sure if they would wait until the fall.  Chris leaving seems kind of odd too.  He did tell someone that he was returning soon and he had to see what was the right fit.  This was a couple of weeks ago.  I found that odd cause at the time John was doing his regular time and no mention of Chris leaving.  Now both are happening, so I wonder if that's what he meant.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Right now Bill looks happy at Sag Harbor. I know everyone wants Bill back. However, on the basis of travel from Sag Harbor to Manhattan. Bill would have to possibly move back to Manhattan in order to make things work. TINY starts at 4AM. Prep starts between 2:00 and 2:30 (if I'm correct). Right now I can't see Bill moving to WNBC. They are pretty well structured there. If anything 57th Street is possibly his calling if the money and contract is correct.

I said this in the past and got shot down. Finally there is someone here on my side!  Folks here have to get out of fantasy land.  Bill Evans is now involved in radio.  He and his wife bought a radio station recently.  The location of the radio station is in far eastern LI.  No doubt they live out there too.  Bill is part of the radio talent.  He can wear rags to work and can shave whenever he feels like it.  Maybe he said he wants to get back into TV someday, but for goodness sakes, he just left ABC7 at few months ago.  Let him enjoy radio for awhile. 

The radio and TV businesses go thru cycles of change.  Look at Channels 2/4/7.  All 3 AM M-F weather reporters have or are about to be turned over.  If you don't like Elise, watch another channel!  If you don't like Sam, watch another channel!  If you aren't going to like Cimino's replacement, watch another channel!  Do you really watch a given station in the morning solely based on who does the weather?  I hope not!  I look at the anchors.  John Elliott is not a young guy.  Does anybody know when his contract expires?  No!  Do we know if he asked WCBS TV to cut down on his schedule?  We don't know either. 

Yes, I know John Elliott is on the radio with Scott Shannon, working 7 days per week.  Why?  You'll have to ask him.  That is not for me to speculate about.  We don't know how long John Elliott will be on the radio, or on Ch. 2 S/S.  If so many people here want to know why, why hasn't anybody written him a fan mail-snail mail letter yet for the answer? 

For goodness sakes, can we please allow Bill Evans and John Elliott to live their professional lives the way they want to without this constant second guessing?    

5 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I said this in the past and got shot down. Finally there is someone here on my side!  Folks here have to get out of fantasy land.  Bill Evans is now involved in radio.  He and his wife bought a radio station recently.  The location of the radio station is in far eastern LI.  No doubt they live out there too.  Bill is part of the radio talent.  He can wear rags to work and can shave whenever he feels like it.  Maybe he said he wants to get back into TV someday, but for goodness sakes, he just left ABC7 at few months ago.  Let him enjoy radio for awhile. 

The radio and TV businesses go thru cycles of change.  Look at Channels 2/4/7.  All 3 AM M-F weather reporters have or are about to be turned over.  If you don't like Elise, watch another channel!  If you don't like Sam, watch another channel!  If you aren't going to like Cimino's replacement, watch another channel!  Do you really watch a given station in the morning solely based on who does the weather?  I hope not!  I look at the anchors.  John Elliott is not a young guy.  Does anybody know when his contract expires?  No!  Do we know if he asked WCBS TV to cut down on his schedule?  We don't know either. 

Yes, I know John Elliott is on with Scott Shannon, working 7 days per week.  Why?  You'll have to ask him.  That is not for me to speculate about.  We don't know how long John Elliott will be on the radio, or on Ch. 2 S/S.  If so many people here want to know why, why hasn't anybody written him a fan mail-snail mail letter yet for the answer? 

For goodness sakes, can we please allow Bill Evans and John Elliott to live their professional lives the way they want to without this constant second guessing?    

I agree with you partly on this if Bill did not state that he would return soon and that he had a couple of options and wanted to see what the right fit was. But he does seem to be enjoying this radio gig a lot. So who know, he may have made a decision as to where and when he is going  or maybe not.  But I think that he will be in Sag Harbor for at least the summer. 

19 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Yes, I know John Elliott is on the radio with Scott Shannon, working 7 days per week.  Why?  You'll have to ask him.  That is not for me to speculate about.  We don't know how long John Elliott will be on the radio, or on Ch. 2 S/S.  If so many people here want to know why, why hasn't anybody written him a fan mail-snail mail letter yet for the answer? 

#facts....

I've said it all along. Bill is NOT going to commute from Sag Harbor to Midtown Manhattan. I simply don't understand why people would think that Bill Evans will make a comeback on Channel 2 or 4. We could all speculate. However, we don't know what is going on in CLOSED DOORS and for all I care for intensive purposes Cimino's replacement is going to be in house at WNBC. Plus they are the #2 weekday morning news program. So keeping things inhouse is the best thing for WNBC.

I've spent some time (in my past) in the newsroom have a clear understanding about interoffice moves. So, lets stop speculating that Bill is coming back and let him enjoy Sag Harbor. Running a radio station itself is a big deal. Tons of overhead and if the money is not right or the station doesn't perform well it gets shuttered.

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

#facts....

I've said it all along. Bill is NOT going to commute from Sag Harbor to Midtown Manhattan. I simply don't understand why people would think that Bill Evans will make a comeback on Channel 2 or 4. We could all speculate. However, we don't know what is going on in CLOSED DOORS and for all I care for intensive purposes Cimino's replacement is going to be in house at WNBC. Plus they are the #2 weekday morning news program. So keeping things inhouse is the best thing for WNBC.

I've spent some time (in my past) in the newsroom have a clear understanding about interoffice moves. So, lets stop speculating that Bill is coming back and let him enjoy Sag Harbor. Running a radio station itself is a big deal. Tons of overhead and if the money is not right or the station doesn't perform well it gets shuttered.

Bill has said he will return to television. Perhaps he would as a fill in anchor.

1 minute ago, nydem2015 said:

Bill has said he will return to television. Perhaps he would as a fill in anchor.

And I said in my post that Bill just left TV a few months ago. Why would he want to come back so soon while he's helping his wife build a radio station they recently bought?

2 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

And I said in my post that Bill just left TV a few months ago. Why would he want to come back so soon while he's helping his wife build a radio station they recently bought?

Right. Maybe that’s a few years away if at all. Maybe people who aren’t on this board actually wanted WCBS to put Elise on mornings. 

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Because I think Bill really didn't want to leave EWN.  I think he wanted a leave of absence to get the station on the ground and they said that he could not.  He got pissed and left.  That's the vibe I'm getting.   Things did not end well, cause when people asked him if he was returning to EWN, he gave a terse NO.  Plus he has stated from day 1 that he would be back soon, but maybe he is loving this gig more than he thought.  He did state that this opportunity has changed his life better than he ever imagined.  So I think he will return, it's just a matter of when.  The sudden channel 4 and 2, moves makes everyone wonder though especially when he stated to someone on social media that he would be back soon and was weighing his options to see what would be a good fit.

1 hour ago, nydem2015 said:

Here's the thing. I'm not disputing that Bill won't return. He has plenty in the tank left.

However, what I'm disputing is that everyone here thinks Bill is going to pop up in the blue only after 4 months.. To me right now is a bit crazy.

Contracts take time. Commutes take time and team chemistry takes time.  All I'm saying right now. Let Bill enjoy radio land and when he's ready to come back into television he will do so.

17 minutes ago, Spintech33 said:

Here's the thing. I'm not disputing that Bill won't return. He has plenty in the tank left.

However, what I'm disputing is that everyone here thinks Bill is going to pop up in the blue only after 4 months.. To me right now is a bit crazy.

Contracts take time. Commutes take time and team chemistry takes time.  All I'm saying right now. Let Bill enjoy radio land and when he's ready to come back into television he will do so.

My guess is he will be back by the fall, when things get boring in Sag Harbor and the boating season is over.  He's enjoying this gig, the weather, he can take his boat out whenever he wants and I do think that he will move the station to another location and make a weekend/retirement home on that water front property.  I think that was a big part of that purchase was the property and the station was a bonus. 

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

My guess is when Bill comes back to TV if he does come back it will be a role on weekends somewhere. 

I've been wondering why John wasn't on in the morning.  I'm done watching CBS news because I only watched it for John.  Their ratings are going to go down.  At least I can still listen to him on 101.1 in the morning. 

I don't know who made the decision to take John Elliot off the morning show for weather but it was an awful one. He's funny clever and really enjoyable to watch. 

I'm back to NBC from here on in. CBS is back to boring once again. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:19 AM, RealNews18 said:

My thing is.. John Elliott was not “unpopular” and quite honestly while I definitely see it as a possibility of Bill going there I don’t see them gaining too many people from WABC.. Sam being there will keep many viewers on WABC.. I don’t know what the logic behind this whole thing is.. it just doesn’t make sense.. the weird thing is when this first happened everyone said Bill really has no place to go.. now in theory the possibilities are enormous lol 

If Bill were to go there the ratings would definitely go up.  There are several people that left WABC because he was not there, and the ones that are said that they will follow wherever he goes.  I think that's also why EWN hired Sam Champion instead of giving the job to Jeff or Amy cause they needed someone big to replace him and there are a lot of people that are glad and a lot say they like Sam but it's not him and if he comes back to morning weather they will follow.  John's followers will like Bill cause they both are funny.  But some may not, can't please everyone.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:18 PM, Geoffrey said:

I've kept wondering about this and came up with a new theory in the last few days: Perhaps they're using Elise as a "buffer" of sorts.  This way, John's fans won't take it out on Bill Evans, if that is indeed the way this is going.  The anger about John being pushed out can fade away and then, in a few months, Bill can get a fresh start without the baggage of having directly replaced a popular, longtime personality.

As far as I know, Elise hasn't been added to any morning promos.  There is something that feels quite temporary about her being there.  I also just can't see executives at CBS 2 going, "ABC 7 just brought back Sam Champion. We have to one-up them with Elise Finch!"  (No offense to Elise, of course.)

I don't know if this is logical or if stations really plan anchor changes out like this...  but it's the best I've got.

This does make sense, also the fact of the couple of months theory that things will blow over and I don't think Bill will leave Sag Harbor in the summer just yet.  Who would want to leave.  But also the summer time less people watch tv or are on vacation, so why not promote for September. If that is indeed the case. 

4 hours ago, Nancy said:

If Bill were to go there the ratings would definitely go up.  There are several people that left WABC because he was not there, and the ones that are said that they will follow wherever he goes.  I think that's also why EWN hired Sam Champion instead of giving the job to Jeff or Amy cause they needed someone big to replace him and there are a lot of people that are glad and a lot say they like Sam but it's not him and if he comes back to morning weather they will follow.  John's followers will like Bill cause they both are funny.  But some may not, can't please everyone.

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Bill turns up on WCBS. After all WABC got rid of Bill when he got the radio station. It wasn’t other way around. I can see Bill taking over for Elise who I don’t believe was ever announced as the weather caster for the morning show and then she can take over for John on weekend mornings. It makes more sense since Vanessa is a better fit for weekend evenings as I can see her taking over for Lonnie when he retires.

PLease, please, please move John Elliot back to weekday mornings, he's the reason most of us watch CBS news that early in the morning.  I used to work at CBS and I really miss him.

29 minutes ago, nydem2015 said:

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Bill turns up on WCBS. After all WABC got rid of Bill when he got the radio station. It wasn’t other way around. I can see Bill taking over for Elise who I don’t believe was ever announced as the weather caster for the morning show and then she can take over for John on weekend mornings. It makes more sense since Vanessa is a better fit for weekend evenings as I can see her taking over for Lonnie when he retires.

How do you know they got rid of him. Do you have inside info on that.  His Wikipedia and all other sites say he left.  Everything was in his wife's name and they even changed the news that was on the radio station from nbc to abc,. They also had the station for almost a month when Bill disappeared but was not formally gone until 3 weeks later which led me to believe that they may have told him you have 3 weeks  to fix what you want to fix or don't come back.  But whatever it was I think it was a disgrace not to acknowledge that he left.  No matter how it happened, the man gave 29 years of his career and a big part of their ratings all those years.  It  was like he never existed.   They could have said Bill has moved on...  People were outraged about that.

11 hours ago, Nancy said:

How do you know they got rid of him. Do you have inside info on that.  His Wikipedia and all other sites say he left.  Everything was in his wife's name and they even changed the news that was on the radio station from nbc to abc,. They also had the station for almost a month when Bill disappeared but was not formally gone until 3 weeks later which led me to believe that they may have told him you have 3 weeks  to fix what you want to fix or don't come back.  But whatever it was I think it was a disgrace not to acknowledge that he left.  No matter how it happened, the man gave 29 years of his career and a big part of their ratings all those years.  It  was like he never existed.   They could have said Bill has moved on...  People were outraged about that.

That was awful that his departure wasn’t even mentioned after 29 years at the station. It was even worse then how WNBC handled Sue Simmons departure after 32 years in 2012.

• 24994J locked this topic

Archived