WDJT updating to newer O&O look

qunewsguy

1 hour ago, Big Country News said:

Aerial? AERIAL?

How to make your station sound small market in one simple step.

It's not even edited nicely.

Aerial is not small market, IMO. KTXA used it during the last days of TXA 21 News.

It is, however, executed badly here.

7 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Aerial is not small market, IMO. KTXA used it during the last days of TXA 21 News.

It is, however, executed badly here.

Remember where it started, too.

18 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Sorry if I am late to the game, but when did WDJT start having a news operation?? 

— Matt

Since January '96, they been known as "CBS 58" since December '94.

This is the current open: 

That's unfortunate. I feel like they actually improved the previous generation O&O package with all their little in-house fixes. Hopefully they do something about the awful lower third in this generation of the O&O package.

Is it me, CBS 58 seemed to have the wrong theme music; but keeping Jim Cutler as their voiceover is fine. Aerial as a news theme...sorry not good enough, maybe Enforcer will fit those graphics better and “Ten at 10:00” would make a comeback.

I heard some time ago that they can't get Enforcer due to market overlap/exclusivity with WBBM (Kenosha County is in both Milwaukee and Chicago viewing areas, and for a long time cable subscribers there got both Milwaukee and Chicago locals.)

CBS Local would be the next best option, but I don't think it fits WDJT's image.

24 minutes ago, Weeters said:

I heard some time ago that they can't get Enforcer due to market overlap/exclusivity with WBBM (Kenosha County is in both Milwaukee and Chicago viewing areas, and for a long time cable subscribers there got both Milwaukee and Chicago locals.)

CBS Local would be the next best option, but I don't think it fits WDJT's image.

They could the Advantage Variant of Metropolis.

43 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Thats surprising if they would now claim exclusively to neighboring markets especially when the availability to get out of market or neighboring stations is dwindling. I could see them making the case if Kenosha county was in the Chicago DMA or if WDJT was available on cable to areas in the Chicago market (which to mine understanding is very few if any).

8 minutes ago, doublejman69 said:

Thats surprising if they would now claim exclusively to neighboring markets especially when the availability to get out of market or neighboring stations is dwindling. I could see them making the case if Kenosha county was in the Chicago DMA or if WDJT was available on cable to areas in the Chicago market (which to mine understanding is very few if any).

WBBM does have SV status in Kenosha County (along with WMAQ, WLS, WGN, WPWR and WGBO) as well as Walworth County. That said, this should be less and less of an issue.

28 minutes ago, doublejman69 said:

I heard this back in the era of "Just 10 Minutes" and that awful synth theme that nobody has ever admitted to composing. Back when they definitely couldn't afford it, even if it was available to them.

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

I heard this back in the era of "Just 10 Minutes" and that awful synth theme that nobody has ever admitted to composing. Back when they definitely couldn't afford it, even if it was available to them.

Was that the time period when CBS still owned WFRV and did they use Enforcer? If WFRV was using the theme I could see claiming exclusivity,  Milwaukee and Green Bay has a significant market overlap from a ratings perspective. 

2 hours ago, doublejman69 said:

Was that the time period when CBS still owned WFRV and did they use Enforcer? If WFRV was using the theme I could see claiming exclusivity,  Milwaukee and Green Bay has a significant market overlap from a ratings perspective. 

WFRV was not using "Enforcer" by the time CBS has owned them, although they did use the package in 2010 when the station was under Liberty Media ownership only to get sold to current owner Nexstar one year later when they dropped the package in 2012.

13 hours ago, Weeters said:

That's unfortunate. I feel like they actually improved the previous generation O&O package with all their little in-house fixes. Hopefully they do something about the awful lower third in this generation of the O&O package.

The lowers would look better if they didn't use Gotham's Extra Bold weight in mixed casing for the headline text. I've never been a fan of Gotham's lower case letters to begin with but Extra Bold just enhances all of my problems with it. Hell if they just went all caps, it would look better. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the market exclusivity thing is the issue here. WIFR in Rockford uses Enforcer, and they overlap in DeKalb and McHenry counties, and WREX started using The Tower in 2009, while WMAQ was still using it.

I have a feeling that Stephen Arnold's packages simply cost less to lease. I'm sure that's why more small-market stations tend to use SAM.

2 hours ago, ctmajka said:

I have a feeling that Stephen Arnold's packages simply cost less to lease. I'm sure that's why more small-market stations tend to use SAM.

Oh no, that's definitely a factor too.

Basically what I was told was they couldn't afford it even if they could get it.

• 2 weeks later...

WDJT has adopted the look as of Thursday. Apparently nobody sent them the CBS eye corner graphic, so they decided to make their own. 😬

https://www.cbs58.com/news/running-rebels-youth-group-volunteer-as-future-shelter-site

https://www.cbs58.com/news/not-a-washout-but-storm-chances-remain-for-six-area-festivals-this-weekend

They have kept their in-house weather title bars from the last package, which do make the weather graphics look a little nicer than the standard O&Os.

1 minute ago, Weeters said:

WDJT has adopted the look as of Thursday. Apparently nobody sent them the CBS eye corner graphic, so they decided to make their own. 😬

https://www.cbs58.com/news/running-rebels-youth-group-volunteer-as-future-shelter-site

I don't hate it. Certainly not worse than the O&O version, in my opinion.

Archived