Tornado Warning Coverage

ThunderJay27

I've been watching all 4 stations with these tornado warning ongoing.

I'm impressed with CBS 3. Kate Bilo & Lauren Casey have been showing traffic cameras from where the storms are, giving a good visual of the conditions and staying on top and anticipatory of these storms. They have been using their different in studio cams to give different shots of the weather team so the views don't get stale.

6 has Cecily & Adam double teaming using the "Big Board" as their main screen and doing a good job at breaking down things to the average viewer that doesn't understand all the weather jargon.

29 has Kathy Orr & Scott Williams doing their thing and doing it well.

10 has Tamie Susza & Krystal Klei with their coverage. They have been on top of things but has had a few hiccups trying to switch back and forth between radar views. They also, in the middle of a tornado warning, cut their coverage and went to Nightly News, while every other station went until the warning expired at 645.

If there is a local threat going on, why go to something national? I didn't get that decision. 

2 minutes ago, ThunderJay27 said:

I've been watching all 4 stations with these tornado warning ongoing.

I'm impressed with CBS 3. Kate Bilo & Lauren Casey have been showing traffic cameras from where the storms are, giving a good visual of the conditions and staying on top and anticipatory of these storms. They have been using their different in studio cams to give different shots of the weather team so the views don't get stale.

6 has Cecily & Adam double teaming using the "Big Board" as their main screen and doing a good job at breaking down things to the average viewer that doesn't understand all the weather jargon.

29 has Kathy Orr & Scott Williams doing their thing and doing it well.

10 has Tamie Susza & Krystal Klei with their coverage. They have been on top of things but has had a few hiccups trying to switch back and forth between radar views. They also, in the middle of a tornado warning, cut their coverage and went to Nightly News, while every other station went until the warning expired at 645.

If there is a local threat going on, why go to something national? I didn't get that decision. 

I already commented on this in the severe weather coverage thread in the Philly forum prior to your post. 10 actually ended up breaking back in at some point.

69 also stayed on straight through 6:45.  Mark Shanaberger was at what I assume was the green screen, but he was able to press buttons on the screen and draw over the top of it -- since when can green screens do that?!

WFMZ doesn't have their own radar, but the NWS radar seems to be able to do pretty much everything that 6's radar can do.

2 hours ago, Mrknowitall526 said:

WFMZ doesn't have their own radar, but the NWS radar seems to be able to do pretty much everything that 6's radar can do.

Isn't WFMZ just using whatever Accuweather feeds them? Assuming that, I'm not surprised.

@WCAUTVNBC10 would know better, though.

9 hours ago, Sam Horn said:

Isn't WFMZ just using whatever Accuweather feeds them? Assuming that, I'm not surprised.

@WCAUTVNBC10 would know better, though.

WFMZ is using WSI equipment nowadays but do subscribe to AccuWeather for additional data.

15 hours ago, ThunderJay27 said:

Could very well have been an automation issue at master control that they couldn't bypass in time. The fact that they broke back in tells me that was likely the case. That said, with all of the unsettled weather in the area, they should have notified someone up there to cancel the hard out at 6:30 so they could keep going if need be.

Here is some coverage from 6ABC and NBC10 on Tuesday. ABC did a fantastic job with coverage. NBC did some little hourly break-ins and only stayed on for a few minutes during a tornado warning (which I was surprised about)

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 10:08 AM, Action Newsroom said:

Bumping because all the Big 4 stations (and even WPHL and WPSG) are wall-to-wall with Tornado Warning coverage impacting the Delaware Valley- especially Northern Delaware.

(As I wrote this, the warning expired) 

Here is some coverage from NBC10

Archived