NBC News Now Live (M-F 3p-11p)

mightynine

• mightynine changed the title to NBC News Now Live-ish

It’s interesting and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen some of the packages before (the abortion one but it looks like it came from Left field). I’m not a fan of the correspondent selfie style of reporting when there are crews available such as Hallie Jackson in Tokyo from their hotel balcony. I under stand the Ali Arouzi package as he was on the street in Tehran. It seems to be a lot of packages with quick “News in Brief” headlines so far. 

Watching more I think it’s just a pre produced where the host David Gura so far just seems like he  recorded a bunch of links. I can’t see them putting up with standing around to introduce one six minute package for another ten minute package. Maybe for the news in brief it’s live and they’re on standby.

Just watching the top of the hour for the second hour it appears they are just replaying what was aired before at 3pm. The same packages are teased and there’s no mention of being live.

So far...it's pretty good.  I don't like David Gura, though.  He's really boring.  I wish there would be more of the headlines & stuff happening right now to get caught up, not a bunch of long packages.  I think they should keep the longer packages.  They are very interesting and engaging.  I like the set and the graphics are a huge step up from what they had before.

But, I've only watched for about 20 minutes so I don't have much to judge, lol!

39 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

I’m not a fan of the correspondent selfie style of reporting when there are crews available such as Hallie Jackson in Tokyo from their hotel balcony. I understand the Ali Arouzi package as he was on the street in Tehran. It seems to be a lot of packages with quick “News in Brief” headlines so far. 

There are plenty of options available that one doesn't have to hold their phone in their hand. Hallie could have propped the phone up on something. Be inventive!!  Ali should have been inside somewhere. Gura is about as bad as Simone (Whatever her last name is). 'And now the news headlines..........................................................................................................................Briefly'. 

Simone should have been more professional and wore some pants. Overall, D+.

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/05/29/nbc-news-now-launch/2/nbc-news-now-set.jpg

The anchor blocking is tired and bland. Thought I was watching a CNBC market update for a moment when I saw the over the shoulder logo. Being an insert studio I guess you only have so many options. At least Signal utilized other NBC properties like Studio 1A or the 4th floor newsroom (similar in style to Snapchat's Stay Tuned). Has me wondering what's at work in studio 3B.  

I watched some more today and they've already improved their product overall, IMO.

I really like the set but I don't like how the hosts crammed into the corner. They need to move around a bit.  

• 1 month later...

NBC NEWS NOW UPDATE: Alison Morris- Formerly of WNYW Fox 5 has moved back to NBC

Reported by Variety (article) https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/nbc-news-alison-morris-anchor-1203257274/

Alison started on air yesterday 7/1/19. This is a good pick up for NBC's streaming service. Great journalist.

She's no stranger to NBC as she's worked out of CNBC Europe and WSJ reporter out in Paris.

• 1 year later...

Looks like they are finally going to brand alison’s slot as Evening News Now. Saw the name on the press release for the Inauguration coverage. With the new anchor coming soon I wonder if the midday coverage will be call Afternoon News Now or something. 

Still seems like they rely on a lot of repetition. I had it on yesterday, and they took the NBC special report on impeachment. After it was over at 5pm EST, Alison anchored some coverage for a while before they reracked the entire special report from the very start of the impeachment hearing. Felt like a very strange thing to do.

2 hours ago, C Block said:

Still seems like they rely on a lot of repetition. I had it on yesterday, and they took the NBC special report on impeachment. After it was over at 5pm EST, Alison anchored some coverage for a while before they reracked the entire special report from the very start of the impeachment hearing. Felt like a very strange thing to do.

Agreed. I watched it one day last week, maybe Thursday, after the evening news at 6:30 and they were running whatever had aired during the afternoon block. It was so weird considering everything that was going on last week. I ended up turning over to ABCNewsLive and then CBSN; both were live at that time.

33 minutes ago, FmrENCNewser said:

Agreed. I watched it one day last week, maybe Thursday, after the evening news at 6:30 and they were running whatever had aired during the afternoon block. It was so weird considering everything that was going on last week. I ended up turning over to ABCNewsLive and then CBSN; both were live at that time.

NBC is way behind in the game. I struggle to get ABCNL to stream well on the computer, but they have a great product on Hulu. CBSN has rocked since Election Coverage started last year, but then again, CBS had a huge head start on the other two

Now if only CBSN can get the locals up to speed. Many seem to be relying on the method of re-racking parts of the most previous newscast on a loop

Archived