May 2019 Ratings

TheRolyPoly

On 6/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, KentBrockman said:

We got to review our rankings last week for Nashville, I was hopeful that they were going to send out detailed numbers to us but they didn't so I'll have to go off of memory.

WTVF is still largely number 1 in most time periods. However, this is the first ratings period in years that WTVF did not have a wide margin in their gains. In fact, they took a huge hit in the demo of 25-54. They also were down year-to-year across the board. Probably their weakest May book they've had.

WKRN remains number 2 but not by much. Their ratings remained stagnant and they didn't show much growth during the May sweeps. They were also pretty stagnant in demos, neither improving or failing.

WSMV improved on it's demo numbers and rankings, pulling itself from 4th to 3rd. Demos are trending upward, and for the first time in a long time, WSMV won a time slot (6AM).

WZTV remains a pretty distant 4th place, and was also rather stagnant neither improving or failing.

One thing can be said about Nashville's TV market, it's HIGHLY competitive and no one station is doing better than another especially WTVF.

I hope WSMV has a bright future unless someone like TEGNA buys the Meredith stations. Not only do they compete with Sinclair and now Nexstar, but in th past 2-3 years, Scrippsitis has been creeping in at WTVF.

Nashville may be a highly competitive market (similar to Pittsburgh and Louisville, and lately New Orleans and Phoenix) but out of the four stations I'd watch WSMV, which seems to be improving right now. It would be a COMPLETELY different story if WSMV ends up under TEGNA...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/4/2019 at 8:46 PM, Conrad said:

I hope WSMV has a bright future unless someone like TEGNA buys the Meredith stations. Not only do they compete with Sinclair and now Nexstar, but in th past 2-3 years, Scrippsitis has been creeping in at WTVF.

Nashville may be a highly competitive market (similar to Pittsburgh and Louisville, and lately New Orleans and Phoenix) but out of the four stations I'd watch WSMV, which seems to be improving right now. It would be a COMPLETELY different story if WSMV ends up under TEGNA...

I don’t think it will ever happen, but if it does it will be a sad day.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:45 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

WTVF has been a long #1, but I think WSMV was a strong #2 or passing WTVF sometimes. Boy have they fallen so much as even WKRN has taken over #2.

WSMV was number 1 in the 1980s and 1990s. A few bad management decisions at WSMV and a few good management decisions at WTVF helped them improve. It was the bad management decisions at WSMV that helped WKRN, but it didn't help them much as again I stated their ratings remained stagnant and now they're regularly placing 3rd again.

3 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

I don’t think it will ever happen, but if it does it will be a sad day.

WSMV was number 1 in the 1980s and 1990s. A few bad management decisions at WSMV and a few good management decisions at WTVF helped them improve. It was the bad management decisions at WSMV that helped WKRN, but it didn't help them much as again I stated their ratings remained stagnant and now they're regularly placing 3rd again.

Re: WSMV and TEGNA, that is a bad fit for Meredith due to numerous ownership conflicts in other markets. The day that WZTV overtakes WSMV in ratings might be a panic mode, but would any of the realistic scenarios be better or worse than the status quo?

Mobile-Pensacola's numbers could be interesting.  WKRG could have gotten a bump from the Mel Showers retirement stories, plus it's the last book with Alan Sealls as chief meteorologist there.

Soon after has been a whirlwind for the market as Mel Showers "retired", Alan Sealls left, as well as the month-long and counting impasse between WPMI/WJTC and AT&T, and now the Nexstar spat with them as well.

WALA and WEAR / WFGX could see some gains since they are the only local channels still on AT&T systems in the area.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:12 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

Re: WSMV and TEGNA, that is a bad fit for Meredith due to numerous ownership conflicts in other markets. The day that WZTV overtakes WSMV in ratings might be a panic mode, but would any of the realistic scenarios be better or worse than the status quo?

It did happen in February which led to a major management overhaul.

16 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I still think Gray would be the best suitor for Meredith, filling in major holes where they don't already have a presence (Atlanta, Nashville, Mobile, Greenville) and cementing their hold in the Southeast.

I somewhat agree with you, especially since Gray owns WVLT in Knoxville and WMC in Memphis, it gives them a third station in the capital which is needed and technically fourth station in the state since Gray has a relationship with Sarkes Tarzian who owns WRCB in Chattanooga.

15 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Has WTVF dropped at all though? They seem to remain dominant with no real change in the last couple years.

Actually, while they are dominant they aren't dominant by much. They had some major losses in the demo and in overall ratings in May. They've also been making a lot of bad decisions lately as well as some major technical fuck ups. The Scripps fever has finally started to overtake them, and I don't believe they will continue being dominant unless major changes are made.

Their on-air product is just stale, and they report news that's several days old that other stations have already reported on. The ONLY reason WTVF continues to dominate is their aggressive promotion, the longevity of their talent (which can only last so long), and their stranglehold on the older viewers. In the demo of 25-54, which is more important now, they don't do very well and are usually at one point or another each day overtaken by WKRN or WSMV pretty much in every time slot.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, sctvhound said:

Funny knowing Gannett/TEGNA these days, but then again this might have only been by virtue of WIS now being owned by Gray instead of Raycom, and the fact that already WIS has been declining since I think 2014, from another post I read on this site. Gray might make WIS even worse if they haven't already. Raycom was not much better overall. Maybe they finally managed to dumb WIS down to typical Raycrap quality in the mid-2010s. Raycom ran things on the cheap for a while with many of their stations and they have not improved.

And speaking of Gray, and going back multiple posts, I also agree that Gray could buy Meredith's stations, but like an acquisition by TEGNA, it would also be a sad day. (Yes, I know I'm late; sorry.)

Archived