Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
TheRolyPoly

May 2019 Ratings

Recommended Posts

On 6/2/2019 at 3:26 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Anyone have ratings for smaller markets? (60+?) Interested to see how things fare in smaller markets. 

 

You don't see them as often, and smaller markets tend to be quite predictable, often with a dominant or uber-dominant station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

 

Something tells me that the problem is NOT Tegna, itself. The problem is the management at certain stations is the contributing factor to, in some cases (i.e. WFAA/WWL) a fall from grace for stations that once upon a time dominated their respective markets in the ratings.

 

I think you are right about that, KUSA in Denver is still number one (according to number two) and Patti Dennis is still the news director, she was back when I was in college.  Tegna has imposed a corporate will on it's stations that has at times damaged something that worked before like with the station websites and on-air graphics, but I would say that if a station is still run by a good management and the news team is still a local favorite, then the ratings won't fall apart as rapidly as we would expect just because Tegna runs them.  It's a matter of how much the home office is in control of the markets they own hundreds of miles away from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alrdenver82 said:

 

I think you are right about that, KUSA in Denver is still number one (according to number two) and Patti Dennis is still the news director, she was back when I was in college.  Tegna has imposed a corporate will on it's stations that has at times damaged something that worked before like with the station websites and on-air graphics, but I would say that if a station is still run by a good management and the news team is still a local favorite, then the ratings won't fall apart as rapidly as we would expect just because Tegna runs them.  It's a matter of how much the home office is in control of the markets they own hundreds of miles away from them.

 

Patti Dennis hasn't been the news director there for a while. She was promoted to be Tegna's main talent scout, though she still works out of Denver. Eric Valdez, formerly of WFAA, is KUSA's "director of content," while Linda K, a longtime KUSA EP, is the "news director of content." I don't fully understand how that breaks down, but my understanding is that Linda K runs the newsroom.

 

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/eric-valadez-named-kusas-new-director-of-content/205502/

 

Tegna's president and CEO is Dave Lougee, who was KUSA's news director in the 90s. Seeing how so many KUSA people have ascended the ranks through Tegna, I think it's safe to say that local management and corporate are on the same page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

You don't see them as often, and smaller markets tend to be quite predictable, often with a dominant or uber-dominant station.

in geographically wide but population sparse markets, one station may dominate one part of the market while another station dominates the other part 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 12:14 AM, rkolsen said:

Nothing official other than a Instagram post from Ashley Hinson saying that WBAL’s 5pm was #1. In February it was WJZ (again reported through Instagram). I wonder if Mary Bubala’s firing was a direct part in the ratings change or if people were simply tuning into WBAL more? I know we will never see it but I’d be interested in seeing the ratings while Bubala was still there. Then again at the same time WBAL has pushed more investigations (and some silly stuff like hidden fast food meals) at 5pm and they had the lead up to the Preakness. 

 

Looks like Mary Bubala’s departure did have a significant effect on the ratings according to The Baltimore Sun. From April 24 - May 3 while Mary Bubala was there they averaged a 1.6 rating in the A25-54 demo.  However from May 4 - 22 it dropped to 0.84 a 46% loss. The VP and General Manager Audra Swain said they only lost 38% total audience share and added:

 

Quote

“During the first week of the sweep, we had extremely high viewership levels due to the raids on the former mayor’s homes and offices and her subsequent resignation. Our share of audience in weeks 2-4 was down 38% in Adults 25-54. This change is likely attributed to WJZ being the breaking news station of choice in the market, as demonstrated during the mayoral coverage in week one.”

....

Swain praised WJZ’s 5 p.m. co-anchor Rick Ritter in her email and expressed “absolute confidence” in Nicole Baker, who has been co-anchoring with him.

....

Pointing to the 11 p.m. newscast, which Bubala also co-anchored, Swain said, “WJZ saw zero decline in viewership in the demo for that same time frame.”

 

Worth mentioning 1 ratings point equals 10,778 people in the A25-54 demo. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 3:26 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Anyone have ratings for smaller markets? (60+?) Interested to see how things fare in smaller markets. 

 

For markets where ratings rarely, if ever, get shared, you can generally get a feel for station rankings and relative strength by browsing the political files of a station's public file to look at the ad rates the station charges. After all, a key reason ratings exist is to set and justify these rates. Just be careful to compare like with like, because political candidates are charged different rates than non-candidate issue groups and don't mix up gross rates with net rates, or vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blizzard59 said:

 

For markets where ratings rarely, if ever, get shared, you can generally get a feel for station rankings and relative strength by browsing the political files of a station's public file to look at the ad rates the station charges. After all, a key reason ratings exist is to set and justify these rates. Just be careful to compare like with like, because political candidates are charged different rates than non-candidate issue groups and don't mix up gross rates with net rates, or vice versa.

Also someone mentioned here that sometimes the top station doesn’t necessarily charge the highest ad rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit:

 

6am (44 SHR):

WJBK News 4.4 / 18 SHR

WDIV News 3.5 / 15 SHR

WXYZ News 2.6 / 11 SHR

 

4-430pm (31 SHR):

WDIV News 6.2/ 16 SHR

WJBK Judge Judy 3.9 / 10 SHR

WXYZ News 2.0 / 5 SHR

 

5pm (35 SHR):

WDIV News 7.3 / 17 SHR

WJBK News 4.2 / 10 SHR

WXYZ News 3.4 / 8 SHR

 

6pm (36 SHR):

WDIV News 8.0 / 17 SHR

WXYZ News 5.4 / 12 SHR

WJBK News 3.4 / 7 SHR

 

7-8pm (31 SHR):

WDIV Wheel / Jeopardy 9.0 / 18 SHR

WXYZ News / The List 3.6 / 7 SHR

WJBK TMZ 2.8 / 6 SHR

 

10pm:

WJBK News 4.5 / 8 SHR

 

11pm (27 SHR):

WDIV News 6.0 / 13 SHR

WXYZ News 3.4 / 7 SHR

WJBK News 3.1 / 7 SHR

 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/station/wdiv-tv-detroit-triumphs-with-ratings-victory-in-may

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got to review our rankings last week for Nashville, I was hopeful that they were going to send out detailed numbers to us but they didn't so I'll have to go off of memory.

 

WTVF is still largely number 1 in most time periods. However, this is the first ratings period in years that WTVF did not have a wide margin in their gains. In fact, they took a huge hit in the demo of 25-54. They also were down year-to-year across the board. Probably their weakest May book they've had.

 

WKRN remains number 2 but not by much. Their ratings remained stagnant and they didn't show much growth during the May sweeps. They were also pretty stagnant in demos, neither improving or failing.

 

WSMV improved on it's demo numbers and rankings, pulling itself from 4th to 3rd. Demos are trending upward, and for the first time in a long time, WSMV won a time slot (6AM).

 

WZTV remains a pretty distant 4th place, and was also rather stagnant neither improving or failing.

 

One thing can be said about Nashville's TV market, it's HIGHLY competitive and no one station is doing better than another especially WTVF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

We got to review our rankings last week for Nashville, I was hopeful that they were going to send out detailed numbers to us but they didn't so I'll have to go off of memory.

 

WTVF is still largely number 1 in most time periods. However, this is the first ratings period in years that WTVF did not have a wide margin in their gains. In fact, they took a huge hit in the demo of 25-54. They also were down year-to-year across the board. Probably their weakest May book they've had.

 

WKRN remains number 2 but not by much. Their ratings remained stagnant and they didn't show much growth during the May sweeps. They were also pretty stagnant in demos, neither improving or failing.

 

WSMV improved on it's demo numbers and rankings, pulling itself from 4th to 3rd. Demos are trending upward, and for the first time in a long time, WSMV won a time slot (6AM).

 

WZTV remains a pretty distant 4th place, and was also rather stagnant neither improving or failing.

 

One thing can be said about Nashville's TV market, it's HIGHLY competitive and no one station is doing better than another especially WTVF.

WTVF has seen some high turnover under Scripps, WTVF had been the dominant station but I think we will see a prolonged period where WKRN and WSMV inch ever closer to WTVF.

Edited by doublejman69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 8:28 PM, CircleSeven said:

 

Full NOLA household numbers from the T-P:

 

WWL has reclaim the #1 spot at 6pm, along with its 4:30-7am and usual 12pm lead. WVUE leads 7-10am, 4-6pm & 9-10:30pm. 

 

As long as Eric Paulsen is there, I don't see WWL losing the noon slot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 1:12 AM, oknewsguy said:

 

Something tells me that the problem is NOT Tegna, itself. The problem is the management at certain stations is the contributing factor to, in some cases (i.e. WFAA/WWL) a fall from grace for stations that once upon a time dominated their respective markets in the ratings.

 

High turnover doesn't help either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

KTLA Morning News Executive Producer Marcus Smith posted in his Instagram (marcussmithca) that KTLA came in #1 in nearly all time periods. They came in #1 at 4-7am, 7am-12pm, 1pm, 3pm, 10pm, Weekend mornings and weekend primetime. The only place where they didn't come in first was 6pm and 11pm. I would assume the Spanish language stations took the lead there.

Edited by FiveNews
EP name omitted
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FiveNews said:

KTLA Morning News Executive Producer Marcus Smith posted in his Instagram (marcussmithca) that KTLA came in #1 in nearly all time periods. They came in #1 at 4-7am, 7am-12pm, 1pm, 3pm, 10pm, Weekend mornings and weekend primetime. The only place where they didn't come in first was 6pm and 11pm. I would assume the Spanish language stations took the lead there.

 

Not surprising at all. KTLA is consistently one of the absolute best news products in the entire country.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KVUE put out a release saying they won 5 of 7 periods in the demo - AM, Noon, and 6PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It looks like Sinclair has runied WKRC as a new leader is starting to emerge in Cincinnati... WXIX.

 

https://www.fox19.com/2019/06/13/fox-now-continues-rating-dominance-may/

 

Where did that come from??? WXIX had always been the 4th place station in the market I thought. I figured WCPO, or less likely WLWT, would benefit the most if WKRC fell. 

Edited by GoldenShine9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheRolyPoly said:

It looks like Sinclair has runied WKRC as a new leader is starting to emerge in Cincinnati... WXIX.

 

https://www.fox19.com/2019/06/13/fox-now-continues-rating-dominance-may/

 

45 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

 

Where did that come from??? WXIX had always been the 4th place station in the market I thought. I figured WCPO, or less likely WLWT, would benefit the most if WKRC fell. 

Depends on who you ask?  WLWT won both households and demos at 11pm & WKRC still won hands down. WCPO third in early evening. 

https://www.wvxu.org/post/sheree-paolello-mike-dardis-celebrate-ratings-win-their-wedding#stream/0

Edited by Breaking News

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, MorningNews said:

 

Not surprising at all. KTLA is consistently one of the absolute best news products in the entire country.

Yeah, eat it, WSB!

 

Speaking of which...I don’t think they ever put out a May 2019 ratings report, given that WGCL and WAGA have been eating into their audience lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I wonder what the folks in the WJLA newsroom think of the bad ratings?  Yikes!!! 

This has to have Sinclair corporate mad.    I also wonder what ratings are like at other Sinclair properties around the country?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DENDude said:

Wow I wonder what the folks in the WJLA newsroom think of the bad ratings?  Yikes!!! 

This has to have Sinclair corporate mad.    I also wonder what ratings are like at other Sinclair properties around the country?   

 

Sinclair has never had that many high-rated stations, and never really acquired too many either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 7:28 PM, alrdenver82 said:

 

I think you are right about that, KUSA in Denver is still number one (according to number two) and Patti Dennis is still the news director, she was back when I was in college.  Tegna has imposed a corporate will on it's stations that has at times damaged something that worked before like with the station websites and on-air graphics, but I would say that if a station is still run by a good management and the news team is still a local favorite, then the ratings won't fall apart as rapidly as we would expect just because Tegna runs them.  It's a matter of how much the home office is in control of the markets they own hundreds of miles away from them.

 

Nope! Eric Valadez is the 'Director of Content' (https://www.9news.com/article/about-us/team-bios/eric-valadez/73-588773843). Dennis hasn't been ND for about 8 years now, iirc.

 

They had Co-Directors of Content, based on the WXIA model, but it didn't work. They fired the former Executive Producer turned Co-Director of Content who had been with the station for more than 20 years for someone who was Assistant ND at WFAA and who's been in Denver for not even a year. The whole thing was a boondoggle and 9News is seeing their ratings slip. They frequently get beat by KMGH during the 10 pm outside of sweeps (according to overnights).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

 

Nope! Eric Valadez is the 'Director of Content' (https://www.9news.com/article/about-us/team-bios/eric-valadez/73-588773843). Dennis hasn't been ND for about 8 years now, iirc.

 

They had Co-Directors of Content, based on the WXIA model, but it didn't work. They fired the former Executive Producer turned Co-Director of Content who had been with the station for more than 20 years for someone who was Assistant ND at WFAA and who's been in Denver for not even a year. The whole thing was a boondoggle and 9News is seeing their ratings slip. They frequently get beat by KMGH during the 10 pm outside of sweeps (according to overnights).

 

I was told about Dennis by someone in an earlier post, she came to mind only because I met her during a college class on media that I took for core credit.

 

But where are you coming up with the info on KMGH beating 9News?  I know it was May sweeps I read on KDVR's site, but typically KMGH has been around fourth place.  Of course then again 7 did win the Murrow award which I thought was out of the blue, maybe there is something I'm missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, alrdenver82 said:

Of course then again 7 did win the Murrow award which I thought was out of the blue, maybe there is something I'm missing.

Worth noting with those awards most stations submit their best segments, newscasts or a compilation of both (if they are allowed).  It’s not like the Murrow, Cronkite, AP and Emmy awards are reviewing every newscast - it’s the stations selection. In the case of local Emmys you have to pay to enter for consideration and often times the lower rated stations will enter in a lot of categories, which should lead to some nominations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Worth noting with those awards most stations submit their best segments, newscasts or a compilation of both (if they are allowed).  It’s not like the Murrow, Cronkite, AP and Emmy awards are reviewing every newscast - it’s the stations selection. In the case of local Emmys you have to pay to enter for consideration and often times the lower rated stations will enter in a lot of categories, which should lead to some nominations.

 

Yes all those awards have entry fees. To be fair they use the entry fees on the gold plated trophies, and administrative functions of the awards programs. There is also a nice dinner (cost extra) and some kind of convention.

 

Then there is the judging of the entries...

Yes, you would think a panel of wise old scholarly types with pointy beards would be summoned to the oak paneled rooms of the Temple 'O News...meticulously checking every detail.

Not quite.

 

Typically one markets awards program exchanges with another. L.A may judge Dallas...Spokane may judge the entries from Little Rock.

  The judging takes place in a station conference room on a weeknight  that's totally inconvenient for anyone, but since there is free pizza you manage to scrounge up a few interns and the EP nobody likes.

Everyone sits through the first hour of tape after tape after tape of breaking news, features, wx segments,  dogs surfing, dogs singing, dogs doing stand-ups on surfboards...and sports!!!

 

It's a lot of stuff to wade through, and it's a Tuesday night and it's only 10pm...and there is still the smaller markets that get included with the larger market entries.

 

 Hopefully by now the station suits have completely cleared out of the building...then somebody suggest a little break...to clear our heads..or a little "attitude adjustment" if you will.

 

Hell, one year the entire AP entries of one pretty big Ohio market were judge by a tape editor and station floor director/teleprompter op because nobody else was interested or showed up to judge entries.

 

...and one time there was a swell Saturday afternoon gathering in the redwoods of Marin...

They say that girl that was born  9 months later... was named Emmy for a reason....

 

Happy 4th everyone.

 

 

 

 

july4shark.jpg

Edited by Eat News
[Making Film] (WJSN) - 'Boogie Up' .. https://youtu.be/4tLjzQSEaa0
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.