May 2019 Ratings

TheRolyPoly

17 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Is this new for Atlanta? It reminds me a lot of early-2000s KCTV during their "Live. Late-breaking. Investigative." days. They frequently had overly dramatic confrontations like this.

Just a couple of weeks ago, they had this:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, newsman123 said:

The big story in Atlanta is the continued growth by WGCL CBS46. They crushed WXIA at 11pm and 9/10pm, which is now in last place, beat them often in other time periods, and almost tied WAGA and WSB on a few days on a few shows. Saw record growth--all newscasts up by huge percentages. The noon newscast, up a whopping 400%!

Do you actually have any ratings?

I saw this on a billboard on the Cross Bronx, WNJU is calling themselves #1 regardless of language and in all key demos for two months in a row. Their evening and 11pm newscast was ranked #1 in english and spanish language. Unfortunately, they are no numbers of any kind to judge the rest of the market but WABC did not post anything touting their ratings.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-47-concludes-may-ratings-period-1-station-new-york-regardless-language-and-all-key?show=1067341&network=5266626

On 5/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, RGSJenkins said:

I saw this on a billboard on the Cross Bronx, WNJU is calling themselves #1 regardless of language and in all key demos for two months in a row. Their evening and 11pm newscast was ranked #1 in english and spanish language. Unfortunately, they are no numbers of any kind to judge the rest of the market but WABC did not post anything touting their ratings.

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/telemundo-47-concludes-may-ratings-period-1-station-new-york-regardless-language-and-all-key?show=1067341&network=5266626

Regardless of language? Why do these bit-player Spanish language stations insist on doing the deception thing?

39 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Regardless of language? Why do these bit-player Spanish language stations insist on doing the deception thing?

"Regardless of language" means they beat BOTH the English and Spanish speaking stations - old hat for Miami, but quite a feat in New York.

18 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

"Regardless of language" means they beat BOTH the English and Spanish speaking stations - old hat for Miami, but quite a feat in New York.

I know what it means... it’s also an absolutely meaningless claim. I mean “Hey, don’t forget the Earth is flat” level meaningless...

3 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I know what it means... it’s also an absolutely meaningless claim. I mean “Hey, don’t forget the Earth is flat” level meaningless...

I think Spanish stations make this claim because most #1 English speaking stations claim they are #1 in the market but in reality its the Spanish station that is #1. 

23 hours ago, ns8401 said:

The Spanish speaking stations have been #1 and #3 for the last several years in Houston. KTRK still claims to be the city’s news leader, but Univision or Telemundo actually have higher viewership in the key news slots. Because KTRK doesn’t provide clarification, the Spanish speaking stations have to emphasize that they’re number one even ahead despite language. It makes perfect sense to me why they’d made this clarification.

10 hours ago, MorningNews said:

The Spanish speaking stations have been #1 and #3 for the last several years in Houston. KTRK still claims to be the city’s news leader, but Univision or Telemundo actually have higher viewership in the key news slots. Because KTRK doesn’t provide clarification, the Spanish speaking stations have to emphasize that they’re number one even ahead despite language. It makes perfect sense to me why they’d made this clarification.

But it’s apples and bananas... the English only viewers that watch the English speaking newscast don’t have a Spanish station as an alternative... they don’t speak Spanish... but many of the Spanish speakers also speak English and have a choice. This means that the English speaking stations are at a disadvantage in the comparison. The Telemundo’s of the world are hoping nobody actually spends 5 seconds thinking about that..

”Despite language” seems to imply that the language is a choice for everyone... but it’s not... 

Its kind of like comparing Greyhound buses to budget airlines... sure both do cheap travel but are they really competitive? Is a 7 hour bus ride from Detroit to Chicago really competitive with a 65 minute flight? So I would argue that these stations are not actually competitors... they merely have a viewership overlap...

Telemundo: “Most watched in town regardless of language”

English-only viewer: “Guess I better learn Spanish so I can find out what the top news people are saying”...

This stuff just isn’t reality...

5 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

You mean to tell me even with the “15 anchors/reporters” on GMW WJLA is pulling 0.0 ratings...color me shocked 

I wonder how the evening shows are doing rating wise. I remember ABC 7 won the 6pm a few books back. Sinclair has decimated WJLA. 

More rating news!

Cincinnati (BIG story here: An 11 p.m. win from WLWT, an amazing feat considering WKRC has won that timeslot for decades; also before the main anchors get married)...

https://www.wvxu.org/post/sheree-paolello-mike-dardis-celebrate-ratings-win-their-wedding#stream/0

(PS, thank god for NPR member station 91.7 WVXU Cincinnati - Cincinnati Public Radio - for having a media beat in John Kiesewetter, which helps us get Cincy rating numbers)

Buffalo (BIG story: Once again, a tight market with no surprise here that Channels 2 and 4 claiming victory in some timeslots with Channel 7 still being a drag)

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/30/wivb-wins-round-1-of-may-sweeps-by-a-slight-margin-over-wgrz/

On 5/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, TexasTVNews said:

It’s difficult to tell what we are seeing here with so little context, but I think it’s safe to assume this is not total monthly ratings. Likely, this a very specific demo that would look bad to almost any station. 

Here's a look at the ratings from Denver, Fox affiliate KDVR is celebrating being a number 2 station, I guess they figure beating KUSA is impossible.

No mention of the 6:00 pm hour on the article below since at that time they show Jeopardy and Wheel, but I'm sure they were pulling in strong ratings then as well with that now-defeated James Holzhauer winning so much.

https://kdvr.com/2019/05/30/fox31-growth-and-momentum-continues-strong-no-2-in-ratings-throughout-day/

7 hours ago, bm10k said:

I see a lot of marketing hoopla in that article since they don't mention households at all. I'm not saying they're not #1, but if they were #1 in both the demo and households you bet they'd say so.

11 minutes ago, H4UL4U said:

I see a lot of marketing hoopla in that article since they don't mention households at all. I'm not saying they're not #1, but if they were #1 in both the demo and households you bet they'd say so.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:47 AM, TheRolyPoly said:

Buffalo (BIG story: Once again, a tight market with no surprise here that Channels 2 and 4 claiming victory in some timeslots with Channel 7 still being a drag)

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/30/wivb-wins-round-1-of-may-sweeps-by-a-slight-margin-over-wgrz/

Something tells me that the problem is NOT Tegna, itself. The problem is the management at certain stations is the contributing factor to, in some cases (i.e. WFAA/WWL) a fall from grace for stations that once upon a time dominated their respective markets in the ratings.

29 minutes ago, USNewsie said:

Here in Miami, WTVJ is claiming #1 in late night most watched news at 11 PM.

Can’t find anything on NBCUMV but I believe you. But of course a release was given out for WSCV for being #1 in demos 18-34, 18-49, and 25-54 for the entire broadcast day, primetime and news. 

Archived