Sam Champion Re-Joins WABC

Roadgeek Adam

Anyone who has been in this business a long time knows, it has ups and downs. You go up in markets, you fall down a few, then you move back up etc. Or you find happiness in a smaller place sometimes. 

Sure Sam should have stayed at GMA and coasted. Just like Megyn Kelly should have stayed at Fox. But people take risk and try new things. Sometimes they dont work out. 

He is working his way back up. Nothing wrong with that. He will be back on top in no time. 

17 hours ago, Roadgeek Adam said:

Bill Beutel got a promotion in 1975 for AM America. it failed, he came back to WABC, had a career for another 31 years. I wouldn't call going up and falling back a bad thing. 

The context here though is that AM America was never a success. GMA was successful, Sam demanded more and GMA let him walk. In the end GMA is still thriving and Sam has up until now found himself as the primary fill-in weather anchor on GMA weekends.

Sams mistake was not leaving WABC for GMA. It was leaving GMA for the Weather Channel. Bill when he left WABC for AM America I believe came back to WABC in the same position that he had before. As for Sam I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if he’s back as the GMA weather anchor within a few years. It seemed it took a few months for him and WABC to make this deal so who knows what might have been agreed to.

Archived