KXLY/Spokane getting new set

Greggo

Honestly it was nice to see TV stations still use newsroom sets. I suspect whatever's in store will again be video-wall heavy. Few stations understand how to properly use such versatile areas, and that's why they're getting really old in the tooth for me.

18 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

Honestly it was nice to see TV stations still use newsroom sets. I suspect whatever's in store will again be video-wall heavy. Few stations understand how to properly use such versatile areas, and that's why they're getting really old in the tooth for me.

They certainly were able to last longer without looking horribly dated. Both KXLY and WISC's newsroom sets held up well despite their nearly two-decade ages.

• 1 month later...

It is a nice set--and the logo is an improvement from WISC's play button, but it looks like some standardization may be afoot at Morgan Murphy. Wonder if it'll hit KOAM or WKBT next.

It would be hilarious if WKBT were next and they did a riff of WFAA's play-button 8 and executed it better.

Has ABC relaxed their branding standards to allow it with an ABC-free logo since it became compulsory? Or does the play circle feature the ABC logo when used for network promos and such?

ETA - Youtube TV indeed picked up their new '4 with ABC ball' logo; it's got the ball to the left of the 4 alone without the play button element.

Absolutely love the new look!  It is so fresh, cool, and modern.  I'm glad they got rid of Rainmaker as it was getting dated.  They've picked up the WISC theme and graphics.  I also really like the new logo, it is really cool and a lot better than WISC's.

Here's the morning open...

10 hours ago, bhratbrat said:

Not a bad deal. Also kept rainmaker

Apparently, no they didn't because if you look at the GMNW open from this morning found on Facebook, it looks like they're now using the exact same news theme that WISC is currently using.

6 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Has ABC relaxed their branding standards to allow it with an ABC-free logo since it became compulsory? Or does the play circle feature the ABC logo when used for network promos and such?

I'm not sure that requirement exists anymore. None of the Cox ABC stations (for instance) use the network logo in their newscasts. I think the same can be said for some of the Hearst ABC affiliates. Can't speak to its use in general programming/promos.

Anyway...back on topic...the logo was 20x better-executed than WISCs. I wish this package used a font other than Gill Sans, but whatever.

1 hour ago, AJClementeFan69 said:

I'm not sure that requirement exists anymore. None of the Cox ABC stations (for instance) use the network logo in their newscasts. I think the same can be said for some of the Hearst ABC affiliates. Can't speak to its use in general programming/promos.

Anyway...back on topic...the logo was 20x better-executed than WISCs. I wish this package used a font other than Gill Sans, but whatever.

Proxima Nova Probably. But i think it looks fantastic especially in motion with the set.

21 minutes ago, Darius22 said:

Proxima Nova Probably. But i think it looks fantastic especially in motion with the set.

It's not Proxima Nova. This text you're reading right now is Proxima Nova (at least it should be unless your browser has problems with web fonts).

10 minutes ago, Weeters said:

It's not Proxima Nova. This text you're reading right now is Proxima Nova (at least it should be unless your browser has problems with web fonts).

oh my bad sorry. i was saying what font KXLY could possibly use for its font not what they are currently using. 

I really like this look. Very nice studio, and very nice for Spokane. Pardon me as I beat the dead horse, but the play icon in a logo still looks stupid. Just feels wrong seeing that there instead of the black pearl.

It'll be interesting to see whether Morgan Murphy Media has plans for KOAM (Joplin, MO) and KAVU (Victoria, TX) to get resigned logos with play button icon and graphics package, and music package, and set makeovers like KXLY and WISC.

51 minutes ago, cg41386 said:

Does KOAM still use their 7 logo? They changed their newscast (and website) to “KOAM News Now” recently.

Last I checked, they still have their current 7 logo.  It wouldn't surprise me if KOAM were to get a new circle 7 logo containing a play button icon, similar to the new WISC and KXLY logos containing play button icon, with graphics overhaul.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, cg41386 said:

Does KOAM still use their 7 logo? They changed their newscast (and website) to “KOAM News Now” recently.

Thanks for reminding me that they bought them out recently.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:25 PM, atlnewsfan03 said:

It'll be interesting to see whether Morgan Murphy Media has plans for KOAM (Joplin, MO) and KAVU (Victoria, TX) to get resigned logos with play button icon and graphics package, and music package, and set makeovers like KXLY and WISC.

It would be a major step up for KAVU, definitely. Their current logo has been in use since 1994 and hasn't aged well.

KAVU.png

256x256.png

kavu-tv-victoria-tx.jpg

Archived