Standard Media buying Citadel stations

elopez09227

Standard Media A.K.A. Media General from the ashes is back this time around they will get the TV stations, unlike that failed Sinclair & Tribune merger. Why don't they just go back and use the MG name or does Nexstar own trademark of MG name?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

Standard Media A.K.A. Media General from the ashes is back this time around they will get the TV stations, unlike that failed Sinclair & Tribune merger. Why don't they just go back and use the MG name or does Nexstar own trademark of MG name?

Nexstar probably owns the trademark. However, a different name like McDermott Media or something would be better.

2 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Nexstar probably owns the trademark. However, a different name like McDermott Media or something would be better.

On this corporate structure posted with the paperwork last night, Deborah's McDermott Communications is the parent of Standard Media Group.

54 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

44 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Most if not, all of the ex-Media General stations removed the Media General name from all references (even on the copyright tag) so it's possible that they could but she might not want to do that. This is her show 100% unlike the original plan where Soo Kim was going to own the company with McDermott just being the CEO of the company

I didn't realize that Standard Media's entire leadership team came from Media General until just now when I looked at Standard's corporate website.

The site's understandably rather bare-bones, but I can see them adding content (read: marketing material) as they acquire stations.

And then there's Citadel's site. 🤣

21 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

SNN is definitely Lombardo's forever. Once he dies, they might just shut it down?

As for KLKN, they have their work cut out too. Gray literally has Nebraska dominated; the challenge in expanding to the western part of the market (and North Platte?) is that the NTV stations, owned by Sinclair, cover them (and they are very low in the ratings too). I always thought the only way that KLKN would be remotely competitive is if they and the NTV stations were back under the same umbrella. Unless Standard can acquire the NTV stations from Sinclair...but they have nothing to trade to them...

I'm guessing in the Lincoln et. al. market that KOLN/KGIN is #1 in ratings and KSNB is #2 (even though it doesn't cover Lincoln; WOWT does). Nebraska is weird for TV...

KSNB is the NBC affiliate for Lincoln, at least on Spectrum. However, they don't send crews to cover Lincoln news as they can just pull it from KOLN.

KOLN/KGIN is definitely #1 (thanks to having a far longer history and two transmitters), with NTV usually #2. KLKN is generally third, with KSNB a distant fourth.

Part of KLKN's problem is that there are two ABC affiliates within the same market. If NTV was a satellite or a bureau, KLKN might actually be #1. They're just at an unfair advantage because KOLN/GIN has two transmitters and can reach the distant rural areas.

6 hours ago, mre29 said:

And then there's Citadel's site. 🤣

You gotta be shitting on me! No wonder why every station Citadel has touched has done so horribly! They can't even have a great corporate website!

For goodness sakes, even WLNE, KLKN and WSNN's websites are better than Citadel's! Thank god WLNE and KLKN are being sold. We just need Phil to finally let go of WSNN, which has severely gone downhill under his leadership and we'll be better for it.

Sorry for the double post, but...

Lincoln actually has three ABC affiliates because, according to NorthPine, KETV 7 Omaha can easily be reached over-the-air.

22 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

For goodness sakes, even WLNE, KLKN and WSNN's websites are better than Citadel's! Thank god WLNE and KLKN are being sold. We just need Phil to finally let go of WSNN, which has severely gone downhill under his leadership and we'll be better for it.

Sorry for the double post, but...

I don't think that is going to happen. Remember that the Sarasota area is part of the Tampa market and it already has WWSB; it really can't support two news operations especially since it already has the four five in Tampa (don't forget Bay News 9). It's like what we had here in NH when WBIN had NH1 News: it was there but nobody really cared about it. WMUR is good enough for us, and I'm sure WWSB is good enough for them. WSNN will more likely be shut down than sold.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:35 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

You gotta be shitting on me! No wonder why every station Citadel has touched has done so horribly! They can't even have a great corporate website!

Well, to be fair, Sunbeam doesn't have a corporate website, either. Just the WHDH/WLVI and WSVN sites.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, NewsMaster said:

I don't think that is going to happen. Remember that the Sarasota area is part of the Tampa market and it already has WWSB; it really can't support two news operations especially since it already has the four five in Tampa (don't forget Bay News 9). It's like what we had here in NH when WBIN had NH1 News: it was there but nobody really cared about it. WMUR is good enough for us, and I'm sure WWSB is good enough for them. WSNN will more likely be shut down than sold.

If anything WSNN's physical space -- its studio and newsroom -- could become a Sarasota bureau for one of the Tampa stations. But that's about it.

A follow up on that deal made by Standard:

FTVLive came out with a piece and here's part of this article that I thought was interesting 

So, Standard Media started looking to buy stations again and they finally found two to buy.

I'm a bit surprised that Standard Media didn't even attempt to purchase stations in between the Citadel deal and after the Sinclair-Tribune merger collapsed. Either that or they showed interest but the terms of the deals (even the divestiture deals) were a bit overwhelming for McDermott.

In any case, it was just a matter of time before Standard would get back in the game

9 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

A follow up on that deal made by Standard:

FTVLive came out with a piece and here's part of this article that I thought was interesting 

I'm a bit surprised that Standard Media didn't even attempt to purchase stations in between the Citadel deal and after the Sinclair-Tribune merger collapsed. Either that or they showed interest but the terms of the deals (even the divestiture deals) were a bit overwhelming for McDermott.

In any case, it was just a matter of time before Standard would get back in the game

Some were likely too overwhelming. They probably had a low budget of no more than $200 million or so, and they were probably beaten out for some of the divestiture deals.

8 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Some were likely too overwhelming. They probably had a low budget of no more than $200 million or so, and they were probably beaten out for some of the divestiture deals.

So they may have submitted a bid for the Nexstar castoffs, it just went unreported by all of the media sources

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

i would certainly expect some big changes, especially since they're the only two stations Deb & Co. have to worry about. Both facilities could use some big technological upgrades.

I don't think things are technologically that bad. Sets and the grade Z diagrid ripoff graphics need to be junked ASAP though.

In the case of WLNE, they need to make a concerted effort to improve and maintain it long term. The two times that there has been decent investment in their product (the late 70s/early 80s under Pulitzer and the late 2000s under Global) they built some headway until new ownership blew it all up. As with both times, WJAR is in a state of flux once again and there could be an opening in that market if they take any loss.

22 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I was surprised this didn't close in in July or Aug TEGNA getting Dispatch was pretty fast I thought that Standard Media would been final before TEGNA and Dispatch merger?

It was probably due to a flurry of M&A activity in this industry, the FCC having to address a few deals as well took some time away from this. I think if it wasn't for that, this deal would've closed a lot quicker than what it did.

Oh well, this deal is done anyway.

14 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

I have question for all of you... do you see Standard Media acquiring small/medium market stations before the year is over and the start of 2020?

Doubtful, and if so, they would be low ranking ones. The money is probably not there to get aggressive and others would likely outbid them.

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Doubtful, and if so, they would be low ranking ones. The money is probably not there to get aggressive and others would likely outbid them.

Standard could probably target Morgan Murphy or NPG both of those groups have plenty of small market stations that Deb McDermott can build around KLKN/WLNE. (Heartland would be an excellent fit as well, although out of those groups I just listed, I think McDermott has a higher chance of buying Morgan Murphy, then NPG and then Heartland)

They'd probably get outbid if they tried to buy let's say, Graham or a group that's got stations in slightly larger markets. It doesn't mean that Standard can't target those at a later time but for right now, they need to concentrate on buying groups like Morgan Murphy and other small media groups that are in small markets)

8 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Standard could probably target Morgan Murphy or NPG both of those groups have plenty of small market stations that Deb McDermott can build around KLKN/WLNE. (Heartland would be an excellent fit as well, although out of those groups I just listed, I think McDermott has a higher chance of buying Morgan Murphy, then NPG and then Heartland)

They'd probably get outbid if they tried to buy let's say, Graham or a group that's got stations in slightly larger markets. It doesn't mean that Standard can't target those at a later time but for right now, they need to concentrate on buying groups like Morgan Murphy and other small media groups that are in small markets)

Those groups would still cost at least $200 million though, which is a lot for them.

Archived