WTKR drops "Your"

newsie

From VARTV:

:// More on-air changes at WTKR... for the good

| Monday, July 30, 2007

Local TV LLC's WTKR (CBS) Norfolk has dropped the silly "Your" in "Your NewsChannel 3" and will simply be known as "NewsChannel 3" beginning today with the station's 5 p.m. newscast. This change is from new News Director Shane Moreland who starts on the job today. Back in February, one of the first acts of business for previous ND Nancy Nydam, was axing the silly "LIVE in the (community) Mobile Newsroom..." that reporters were ending their news pieces with. Reporters now say "LIVE from (community)..."

Even though I don't live there, I'm pretty sure Hampton Roads news viewers will join me in saying...

THANK GOD!

Yay Shane Moreland!

The ironic thing is, I haven't seen any changes since 5pm. To me, they're still same 'ol TKR... it's a start though.

I never got why "Your" was always tacked on there. Glad the new ND took it off.

--

just like their sister station, only a little oposite.

Before Local TV took over, and had a diff news director, they were known as "NewsChannel 8" Now that the new (VERY COMPETITIVE) News Director was hired, they are now known as "WQAD NewsChannel 8". It gets annoying..because now the anchors say it all of the time. Then one of their reporters someitmes forgets the WQAD and will go "oh jeez" either before or after the report. It's crazy

The only reason "WQAD" was tacked on, is because "KWQC-TV 6" News. I figure that the ND at 'QAD figures "Hey, if we add our calls on..maybe we will get better rated"

Kind of OT.. but this June (as a result of WQAD's new ND) WQAD and KWQC had a very childish fight over stupid video from Local TV's WHO-TV In Des Moines. It was live feed

http://www.localtvllc.com/pressroom/2007/07/03/video-footage-from-local-tvs-wqad-tv-pirated-by-competitor/

There are two commecials WQAD made (what i just posted). Now, everytime the freaking radar pops up on WQAD, they say "Exclusive Live Tripple Doppler Radar, The ONLY live radar you'll find in the QC" Their radar isnt that powerful anyways

Kind of OT.. but this June (as a result of WQAD's new ND) WQAD and KWQC had a very childish fight over stupid video from Local TV's WHO-TV In Des Moines. It was live feed

http://www.localtvllc.com/pressroom/2007/07/03/video-footage-from-local-tvs-wqad-tv-pirated-by-competitor/

I don't think it's childish at all. When one station is caught stealing other station's footage, it must be brought to light. 'QAD chose to do a promo; I see nothing wrong with this.

Helicopters are very expensive for stations to operate. When aerial footage is gathered and transmitted, it's valuable because your station has invested a lot of money into getting it. When another station intercepts your microwave or digital signal, steals your footage and AIRS IT, then there is a serious problem, especially with ethics.

I'm pretty sure this had something to do with the new ownership. It may have been done to align themselves with their sister stations WREG, KFOR, WHNT and WQAD, which all identify on-air as "NewsChannel".

Actually it was the new ND that decided to do this, but I guess it's "linked" to the new ownership... Nancy Nydam was the ND from February to last month, and she left, apparently a personal decision but the new GM hired by Local TV could have been a factor.

WTKR was just "NewsChannel 3" from 1995 until 2003, I think NYT Co. decided to make that change to match its sister stations when they bought WTKR in 1995.

I don't think it's childish at all. When one station is caught stealing other station's footage, it must be brought to light. 'QAD chose to do a promo; I see nothing wrong with this.

Helicopters are very expensive for stations to operate. When aerial footage is gathered and transmitted, it's valuable because your station has invested a lot of money into getting it. When another station intercepts your microwave or digital signal, steals your footage and AIRS IT, then there is a serious problem, especially with ethics.

KTVI did something similar to KDNL in 1995/96 after the affilation swap. KTVI used video from the ABC NewsOne satellite, even though the station was no longer affiliated with ABC.

• 1 month later...

I was just on wtkr.com and they've dropped the "Your" from just about everything. The only time I see "Your" is on the right-hand side in the Forecast Center option and when you first enter the website, at the top of the computer screen where it says WTKR YOUR NEWSCHANNEL 3: Covering Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and all of Hampton Roads.

Archived