CBS News Anchor Changes

MorningNews

For as long as i can remember CBS NEWS has been in the basement.   I wonder sometimes if it would help CBS if they had a cable news channel something like CNBC or MSNBC, would it maybe help if they moved CBSN on to a sub channel of their O&Os?

CBS News wonders why they can't seem to shake themselves out of third place in either the morning or the evening news broadcast? Well maybe they need to stop making constant changes every  two  years. Viewers like stability.  There morning shows have not had a stable team in like... well it never has  never had a stable morning team! Charlie, Gayle and Norah was the closest it got. 

6 minutes ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

CBS News wonders why they can't seem to shake themselves out of third place in either the morning or the evening news broadcast? Well maybe they need to stop making constant changes every  two  years. Viewers like stability.  There morning shows have not had a stable team in like... well it never has  never had a stable morning team! Charlie, Gayle and Norah was the closest it got. 

How does a team that lasted 5 years only barely qualify as stable? 80's/90's GMA and Today are the exceptions, not the rule.

41 minutes ago, TVNewsJunkie15 said:

Harry Smith and Paula Zahn lasted longer as a team.

There are various issues here. CBS doesn’t do a good job “grooming” their talent. Additionally, they are happy with many of their O&Os being bottom dwellers and those ratings translate to the national broadcasts that follow the local ones.

9 hours ago, 24994J said:

How does a team that lasted 5 years only barely qualify as stable? 80's/90's GMA and Today are the exceptions, not the rule.

Robin and George are in their 10th year together. Savannah and Matt were at 6 years before he was fired. CTM/TES has had like 5 different teams in that time. They completely overhauled TES in 2008 only to completely overhaul it again in 2011 only to to do it again in 2012. Bets are they’re not far off from a complete revamp again. 

CBSTM is very unstable.

I was listen8ng the CBSEN tonight on the drive to my parents on KRLD-AM radio (they run the audio at 7:30pm CT), and listening to the open, I could almost hear Jeff Glor saying “This is the CBS Evening News. I’m Jeff Glor. Tonight... Awww, forget about it.  I don’t care anymore; management doesn’t care anymore.  Let’s just sit here and watch the sunset for the next half hour.”

😉

J

Tonight will be Jeff Glor's last CBS Evening News broadcast.  It'll be interesting to see whether he's being reassigned to a different position at CBS, not sure how long he's under contract for, or if he could be considering jumping ship, if a competing network could buyout his contract.

Not sure if Norah O'Donnell will move to CBS Evening News right away, or if she has to wait till late May or early June.  CBS Evening News moving from NYC to DC will likely be around late August and early September.

NY Post reported recently on Ann Curry being in talks to join CBS.  We don't know whether that'll happen, or if Curry would be smart to find work with a network that values journalists that don't have overinflated egos, and/or political biases and agendas, and are independent thinkers (examples I can think of being Sharryl Attkisson and Lara Logan, and those 2 didn't deserve the shameful way CBS treated them).

CBS This Morning has seen quite a bit of turnover since Charlie Rose was let go.  Bianna Golodryga had a very short-lived run there.  John Dickerson moving to 60 Minutes.  Anthony Mason and Tony Dokoupil being paired with Gayle King.

I see a scenario where by 2021, CBS will do away with the Evening News in its current form and have CBSN anchors, do the weeknight newscasts (as it is they already do that on the weekends)

As for CBS This Morning, they had a great run until the whole Charlie Rose thing happened, and I see CTM eventually going away within the next 3 years.

I also see CBS eventually allowing it's affiliates the option of replacing the CBSN newscasts with local news (they'll likely test that on weekends first before expanding that to 7 nights a week).

Call me crazy if you wish but, at this rate, CBS just needs to cut it's losses and do away with the national newscasts in its current form. 

22 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

I see a scenario where by 2021, CBS will do away with the Evening News in its current form and have CBSN anchors, do the weeknight newscasts (as it is they already do that on the weekends)

As for CBS This Morning, they had a great run until the whole Charlie Rose thing happened, and I see CTM eventually going away within the next 3 years.

I also see CBS eventually allowing it's affiliates the option of replacing the CBSN newscasts with local news (they'll likely test that on weekends first before expanding that to 7 nights a week).

Call me crazy if you wish but, at this rate, CBS just needs to cut it's losses and do away with the national newscasts in its current form. 

Might as well do away with the entire news division then.

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Yeah, the network that gave us Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite is going to dissolve its news division entirely. Get real.

Yep Edward R Murrow, Walter Cronkite and not hardly a single thing since those 2 men some nearly 40 years ago.

Yes dissolving the news division would be silly when the likes of Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes still do well, but I’m over the CBSTM and CBSEN experiments. It’s high time they realized that anchors and personalities will never overcome outdated formats/content.

CBS News still tries to have decent programming like 60 minutes and CBS Sunday Morning. Likewise, CBS This Morning (though it pales in comparison to the heyday of GMA and Today) still attempts to avoid the sillyness of the modern Today Show or the full blown tabloid style currently on GMA. 

Its also dissapointing to think that the days of the mega anchor person like Dan Rather, Walter Cronkite and Edward R Murrow are behind us. Someone who you could count on to be behind the news desk for YEARS. Aside from the changing nature of how we consume the news, and several other factors,  perhaps the biggest flaw for CBSEN has been that everyone since Rather's (or even Scheiffer's) departure, hasn't had the "commanding" lead anchor presence & spark like Cronkite, Brokaw, Jennings, Huntley/Brinkley, etc had. 

1 hour ago, iron_lion said:

CBS News still tries to have decent programming like 60 minutes and CBS Sunday Morning. Likewise, CBS This Morning (though it pales in comparison to the heyday of GMA and Today) still attempts to avoid the sillyness of the modern Today Show or the full blown tabloid style currently on GMA.

From what I understand and what has been reported 60 Minutes has stood alone as their own mini news division within CBS. Things like regular CBS News shows such as CBS This Morning and the Evening News have to credit 60 Minutes with the logo on screen and only so much can be shown. I don’t have the links handy but it was reported heavily during the sexual harassment investigations within CBS as a whole.  

CBS Sunday Morning isn’t necessarily the typical news show rather more of a news magazine.  It probably is in its own bubble as well. 

Also, I realized that while today is Jeff Glor’s last day Norah probably isn’t wholly to blame for his departure.  Sure she was gunning for the job but if it wasn’t for Gayle’s insistence of Anthony Mason and Tony Doukopil being co anchors she probably wouldn’t have gotten the job so soon. 

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Its sad because CBS News still tries to have decent programming like 60 minutes and CBS Sunday Morning.

If by "tries to have decent programming", you mean "still has popular, acclaimed, decades-long-running programming", then yeah you're on the ball.

Relax 

TRIES is exactly what I meant. Both programs could have easily been ruined by now with needless tweaks and format changes but they've made an effort maintain quality and consistency.

Anything else sarcastic, or would you like to show off some more in a chat about newscasts (of all places).

@Action Newsroom

I never knew how much CBS News was a joke until after reading this thread. There has been no other news division with this much turmoil, I mean ABC/NBC had 2 anchor changes with their nightly news programs and that's it. CBS has had 4 anchor changes. That's right, FOUR!

I'm beginning to think CBS is doomed. They have nothing recent with no-lasting appeal; as soon as the Big Bang Theory and the NCIS spinoffs are done I'm guessing it's lights out for the dear eye. Unless Viacom can repurchase it and bring it back to its former glory.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:25 PM, rkolsen said:

From what I understand and what has been reported 60 Minutes has stood alone as their own mini news division within CBS. Things like regular CBS News shows such as CBS This Morning and the Evening News have to credit 60 Minutes with the logo on screen and only so much can be shown. I don’t have the links handy but it was reported heavily during the sexual harassment investigations within CBS as a whole.  

CBS Sunday Morning isn’t necessarily the typical news show rather more of a news magazine.  It probably is in its own bubble as well. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/business/media/cbs-news-60-minutes-divide.html

Apparently, 60 Minutes offices aren't even in the CBS Broadcast Center - but across the street in the BMW Building.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, Georgie56 said:

Yeah, the network that gave us Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite is going to dissolve its news division entirely. Get real.

Of course, you didn't read the entire thing. What a shock

Where in my entire post did I say CBS was going to dissolve the news division?

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Of course, you didn't read the entire thing. What a shock

Where in my entire post did I say CBS was going to dissolve the news division?

You were implying it. No need to get hostile.

2 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

You were implying it. No need to get hostile.

It's just frustrating to me at how everybody on this forum likes to nitpick at certain parts of my posts instead of actually comprehending everything I say on any post I make (now whether it makes sense or not is up to you). In other words, formulate your own opinion and then we decide whether we either agree or disagree with whatever it is you, me or anybody else on this form says

I do apologize if I was being "Hostile" which I wasn't being hostile in any way

Archived