CBS News Anchor Changes

MorningNews

All the changes confirmed on CTM just now. 

I for one can’t wait for this to blow up in their face. Jeff Glor is damn good at what he does and I’m tired of seeing CBS News create scapegoats for ratings woes of the last 30 years. CBSEN has been in 3rd place since the 80s yet Dan Rather kept his spot until 2005. They won’t even let an anchor keep theirs for more than 2 years. This is simply rearranging the chairs on a sinking ship, it’s still going to sink.

Wowzer.

All I can say is... good luck to everyone.

This is, in my opinion, definitely the biggest change-up to CTM (since when O'Donnell joined and Rose was fired) and the Evening News (since when Katie Couric joined, then was succeeded by Scott Kelley).

Poor Jeff Glor.

The best advice for any CTM or CBSEN anchor not named Gayle King is, rent, don't buy. As for the moves, I'd say that, if you're gonna be in third place, might as well try to establish a niche for yourself.

One thing they announced was that they were still working with Jeff’s team. I don’t know if his contract has his job specifically listed as the Evening News anchor but I could see them doing an Ann Curry style payout. 

What are the chances Norah gets replaced by someone else in 2 years if ratings are stagnant or drop? During Katie Couric's time at CBS, ratings dropped her entire time there. I feel that this is because Susan Zirinsky really wanted a woman to lead the CBS Evening News? I feel Jeff Glor got robbed in this whole thing.

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I for one can’t wait for this to blow up in their face. Jeff Glor is damn good at what he does and I’m tired of seeing CBS News create scapegoats for ratings woes of the last 30 years. CBSEN has been in 3rd place since the 80s yet Dan Rather kept his spot until 2005. They won’t even let an anchor keep theirs for more than 2 years. This is simply rearranging the chairs on a sinking ship, it’s still going to sink.

I thought people liked Dan until the end.  Wasn't he right up there with Tom and Peter until he got into trouble? Maybe that's why CBS kept him for so long?

1 minute ago, jrh1985 said:

I thought people liked Dan until the end.  Wasn't he right up there with Tom and Peter until he got into trouble? Maybe that's why CBS kept him for so long?

I did like the way Dan Rather reported the news. Most of his 9/11 coverage was to the point. He was hesitant to call certain things that Tom Brokaw and NBC were calling facts.  

I’m a fan of Jeff, but his ship has sailed. He should’ve been tapped for the EN back when he was a rising star at the network.

Same with Dickerson, he’s good at what he does, but nobody knew who he was when he was put in the FTN chair. They lack good journalist with star power.

I’m a fan of Jeff, but his ship has sailed. He should’ve been tapped for the EN back when he was a rising star at the network.

Same with Dickerson, he’s good at what he does, but nobody knew who he was when he was put in the FTN chair. They lack good journalist with star power.

4 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I certainly don't hope it blows up in their face, because I like the product that CBS produces: important news covered with trustworthy reporting.  I want to see the underdog succeed as it competes against the eroding quality of the programs at NBC and ABC.

It was fun to watch Gayle, Norah, and Charlie knowing that they put together a good show that was gaining steam.  I do hope these shows succeed in their new formats.  

As for those saying Jeff is good at what he does -- that may be true.  He may be a great journalist.  Unfortunately in TV, that's only part of the job.  A solo anchor needs to be able to connect with viewers in a transcendent way.  Most people aren't able to do that.  Hopefully Norah is.  Susan is obviously betting on it.  

One other note regarding Deck Shuffling number 248 or so at CBS News, and that is the newscast moving to Washington in the fall on a permanent basis. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-announces-anchor-changes-at-cbs-this-morning-and-cbs-evening-news/

Going off what I remember reading about, the last time a Big 3 newscast was based at least in part in the nation's capital was during Frank Reynolds' tenure as part of the original 3-man crew for ABC World News Tonight (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

NBC Nightly News during the John Chancellor/David Brinkley was split between 30 Rock and Washington DC. Brinkley was in DC.

With regard to CBS moving the Evening News, I like it. Yes, NYC is the largest city and #1 DMA in the country. At the same time, DC is where all the action is relative to politics. We all know how politics is truly feeding the news machine at the moment. I would like to know a few things....will they be using the Face the Nation set for CBSEN? Also, what kind of breaking news contingency plans will CBS have back in New York when big stories break? I know CBS got their ass handed to them a few years ago on a Friday night when Muhammad Ali passed away. They had to break-in from the Los Angeles network newsroom, which is shared with KCBS/KCAL. I believe Paul Magers did that special report.

52 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

Also, what kind of breaking news contingency plans will CBS have back in New York when big stories break? 

It'll probably fall on whatever person is closest to the CBSN desk at the time.

8 hours ago, Kenneth Kissel said:

I did like the way Dan Rather reported the news. Most of his 9/11 coverage was to the point. He was hesitant to call certain things that Tom Brokaw and NBC were calling facts.  

Dan Rather was let go from CBS News for reporting “facts” that turned out to be forged and very obviously forged.

4 hours ago, FiveNews said:

I would like to know a few things....will they be using the Face the Nation set for CBSEN? Also, what kind of breaking news contingency plans will CBS have back in New York when big stories break?

I would imagine the CBS Evening News will use the Face The Nation studio.  With all of the screens, it can easily be given a different look with different graphics.  I hope they do it well, though the studio still feels cramped to me.  

My guess is they'll rely on CBSN talent and crew to handle breaking news in the evening hours.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I would imagine the CBS Evening News will use the Face The Nation studio.  With all of the screens, it can easily be given a different look with different graphics.  I hope they do it well, though the studio still feels cramped to me.  

My guess is they'll rely on CBSN talent and crew to handle breaking news in the evening hours.

That studio looks very cramped and limited. Hopefully, they will build another studio for CBSEN.

CBS This Morning announcement 

Got to hand it to them. They put on a great show this AM. Everyone is very supportive and happy for each other (if there was any doubt).

CBS Evening News announcement 

You can hear it in his voice how disappointed he is about all of this. Can’t see him sticking around.

I read a few weeks ago that Jeff has many allies inside and outside of the network, he’ll be fine. 

CBSEN will not be and in fact I’m sure 5 years from now we’ll be looking at a broadcast in even worse shape than it is now. And it’ll be exactly what CBS deserves. These changes to a format that is outdated by about 10 or so years will do nothing to help.

I will say this: I blame the ever-changing leadership and low viewership.

The Evening News never really escaped third place since the end of the Walter Cronkite era. No matter the person or leadership, most viewers just never responded positively. The internal changes of recently so far really did not help matters, but I think the ratings at least gave them a reason.

Rather was a fine successor and held the job very well. Couric was incredible and had a good thing going with her era. Pelley was a marvellous anchor and his product was top-notch and excellent. And Glor is a talented journalist who worked his way through the news division very fairly. But all four clearly are no exception to the ratings rule sadly, and I'm very aware O'Donnell won't be either.

I don't think Evening News will end up worse for wear in the long run. Just still not in a good position to go to second. I hope the News division realizes this fully.

Dan Rather was and is a man of great integrity, a presence sorely missed in this day and age. Couric's tenure was unfairly maligned from the start, and I think she got a raw deal.

Wonder if CBSEN DC goes well,  will they move the Election HQ to DC Fall 2020? Or would CBSEN go back to NYC for the Election?

As far as Special Reports, can't they come from DC when Norah's at work? 

Here's a trip down memory lane of the failures that came after Dan Rather. Out of the two, I liked them both equally. Couric was not really good unless they took the show back to Walter Cronkite roots.

I liked Pelly's goodbye as he knows that he is fearful for the future of the Evening News... and all of his fear payed off as we got the worst anchor to grace the Evening News. Jeff Glor.

Archived