WUSA Expands 'Get Up DC!'

jbnews

On Thursday, WUSA expanded 'Get Up DC!'  The show now starts at 4:25a.m.  It is hosted until 6 by Annie Yu, then from 6-7 by Reese Waters.  The portion that Yu hosts is mostly the same.  The segments are slightly different, and she doesn't attempt to be Reese.  She's just herself.  The early portion of the show (until 6am) uses this track (0:00) from FirstCom.  What's it called?

54 minutes ago, Big Country News said:

Death, destruction, world-changing politics... all given to you with smiles and a funky beat.

Next on HashtagHTownRush. (Whatever that means.)

Less news. More Time.

Lol.  KHOU's show is just called HTownRush.  HTown is a nickname for Houston.  You know a lot about news music, do you know that name of that track?

TEGNA seems to be leaving its mark on a lot of its stations.  WXIA 11 with the Atlanta Alive and #MorningRushATL concepts.  KXTV 10 with Morning Blend concept.  KHOU 11 with #HTownRush concept.  Wouldn't be surprised if Get Up DC! on WUSA 9 evolves into #DCRush or #BeltwayRush concept.

They are focusing, at least for now, on the stations that have been cellar dwellers in the morning. They haven’t tinkered really with the newscasts on stations that are competitive in the a.m., such as KVUE/Austin (solid #1) and KENS/San Antonio (typically a close #2 behind KSAT). Makes sense, I guess, even if the new formats they are toying with seem to be targeting a younger demo that doesn’t usually watch local TV news. 

Also ... that KHOU cold open is insanely long. Seriously, people?!?

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

I don't think they're looking to do an across-the-board brand of these morning shows. They seem to be pretty much the same format-wise, but there's nothing to be gained by branding them the same.

41 minutes ago, Greggo said:

They are focusing, at least for now, on the stations that have been cellar dwellers in the morning. They haven’t tinkered really with the newscasts on stations that are competitive in the a.m., such as KVUE/Austin (solid #1) and KENS/San Antonio (typically a close #2 behind KSAT). Makes sense, I guess, even if the new formats they are toying with seem to be targeting a younger demo that doesn’t usually watch local TV news. 

I also couldn't imagine KUSA 9, KPNX 12, KFMB 8, and WWL 4 getting the hashtag treatment either, as those stations get good ratings.  For example, WWL is smart to keep its longtime Eyewitness Morning News name for morning show.

7 hours ago, Weeters said:

I don't think they're looking to do an across-the-board brand of these morning shows. They seem to be pretty much the same format-wise, but there's nothing to be gained by branding them the same.

You're right in that there isn't a so called Tegna mandate for morning show format but Tegna does have their "Content transformation" initiative. Their stations have independence to more or less do what they want ("innovate"), but managers at Tegna stations are specifically evaluating other Tegna station's morning shows to see what works best for them and why, and then decide what and how to implement similar elements at their own station. 

KYTX has changed their morning show branding since being part of Tegna, to The Morning Loop.  Initially a head-scratcher, but in a slight way it's catchy, as the station is located on Loop 323 (basically a big circular street that surrounds Tyler) at one of its major intersections.  I guess you can also think of it as being "in the loop" when you get up in the morning and watch their news.

Meanwhile, up the road, WFAA's Daybreak kept their name after being Tegna-ed but makes a huge deal of their hashtag, #IAMUP.

6 minutes ago, east-tx-tv said:

KYTX has changed their morning show branding since being part of Tegna, to The Morning Loop.  Initially a head-scratcher, but in a slight way it's catchy, as the station is located on Loop 323 (basically a big circular street that surrounds Tyler) at one of its major intersections.  I guess you can also think of it as being "in the loop" when you get up in the morning and watch their news.

Meanwhile, up the road, WFAA's Daybreak kept their name after being Tegna-ed but makes a huge deal of their hashtag, #IAMUP.

The #IAMUP hashtag goes back to the final months of Belo ownership.

14 hours ago, Greggo said:

Stations shouldn't use the evening cold open for the mornings.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

The #IAMUP hashtag goes back to the final months of Belo ownership.

Ooops.  Guess I haven't been keeping up, but Tegna hasn't exactly made them get rid of the hashtag, either.

WXIA has #TheLateFeed.

Maybe WFAA should rename Daybreak to #IAMUP.

I'm actually not a big fan of hashtags.

Daybreak seemed to be a Belo thing, to name their morning newscasts Daybreak.

15 hours ago, Ramona said:

KPNX? Good ratings? Oh gosh no... They've retooled with a few different names: 12 Today, Today in AZ...

KPNX was dominant until 4 years ago. In general, Gannettegna is a shadow of what they used to be, of course, and KPNX is no exception. Gannettegna has gone downhill in the last 5 years.

The only stations here in the Phoenix area to have "good" newscasts at this point are KNXV and KSAZ as KTVK and KPHO have also gone downhill lately.

10 hours ago, Conrad said:

The only stations here in the Phoenix area to have "good" newscasts at this point are KNXV and KSAZ as KTVK and KPHO have also gone downhill lately.

Umm... KNXV, KSAZ *and* KTVK. Even if KTVK and KPHO are sister stations, KTVK still does waaaay better than KPHO.

15 hours ago, Conrad said:

WXIA has #TheLateFeed.

Maybe WFAA should rename Daybreak to #IAMUP.

I'm actually not a big fan of hashtags.

Daybreak seemed to be a Belo thing, to name their morning newscasts Daybreak.

"Daybreak" was not a "Belo thing". Some non-Belo stations use(d) that name for their morning shows, too.

8 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

"Daybreak" was not a "Belo thing". Some non-Belo stations use(d) that name for their morning shows, too.

I know there were/are non-Belo stations using that name, too. But I was thinking it was a Belo thing because multiple Belo stations used it.

Sort of like how a lot of Hearst stations previously used Bill Ratner as their VO although a lot of non-Hearst stations also used him.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, atlnewsfan03 said:

I also couldn't imagine KUSA 9, KPNX 12, KFMB 8, and WWL 4 getting the hashtag treatment either, as those stations get good ratings.  For example, WWL is smart to keep its longtime Eyewitness Morning News name for morning show.

WWL has the #BeOn4 hashtag that's not really specific to any of their newscasts...

And yes, the WUPL logo is still in the bug rotation of ALL of their newscasts.  Do they really think they're going to win some more viewers in the morning since CBS forced their hand from 7 to 9?

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WWL has the #BeOn4 hashtag that's not really specific to any of their newscasts...

And yes, the WUPL logo is still in the bug rotation of ALL of their newscasts.  Do they really think they're going to win some more viewers in the morning since CBS forced their hand from 7 to 9?

KPNX here in the Phoenix area similarly has #beon12.

As for WWL, their ratings are not exactly good anymore. They have gone downhill over the last 4 years and are a shadow of what they were under Belo. And you know why they have gone downhill.

Also, I'm sick of all this emphasis on social media (and I'm not just speaking of just TEGNA or just the broadcasting industry) but it's just everywhere. It's also what basically killed Scripps and Gannett/TEGNA, both previously good station owners (and the latter company going downhill is allowing Belo to roll in its grave right now). I'd argue that social media might see a decline in the future.

How many of you agree that I'm sick and tired of all the emphasis on social media?

36 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I'm sick of all this emphasis on social media (and I'm not just speaking of just TEGNA or just the broadcasting industry) but it's just everywhere. 

How many of you agree that I'm sick and tired of all the emphasis on social media?

*raises hand*

I don't care much for social media like I used to.

It does amuse me to see anyone's handle under their name in a chyron,

and it's literally just their name--there's not one point in that.

And I couldn't stand hashtags when they first came around; now I'm desensitized to them.

While I don't want it totally gone entirely, I'd want social media on TV downplayed heavily.

Agreed. Social media is one of the downfalls of local news (and news in general).

It's rise was the direct result of the news companies slashing employees in the wake of the Great Recession.  (oh, let's let our viewers do all of the work for free!)

And as all of the tech companies started tweaking their algorithms (screwing with time and space) that's how the misinformation began.  Scumbags began making "fake news" and the gullible masses fell for it and shared it to all of their friends!

And because of "trending" and old story can become new again when someone shares it (and it goes viral)

So why in the actual hell have companies like Scripps and Tegna abandoned true journalism for this garbage?  It's not getting the new viewers they want, and the viewers that are left are leaving in droves.

I guess if the millenials want the truth, they just can't handle it.....end rant.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, Conrad said:

WXIA has #TheLateFeed.

HAD #TheLateFeed. Since Vinnie Politan left WXIA a while ago, the 11pm news is called "Up Late" with the hashtag #UpLateATL.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:07 PM, Conrad said:

KPNX was dominant until 4 years ago. In general, Gannettegna is a shadow of what they used to be, of course, and KPNX is no exception. Gannettegna has gone downhill in the last 5 years.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks KSAZ's gone downhill over the past 15 years. They might be the closest thing to a "Fox News Local" of any FOX O&O (see Kari Lake's Twitter posts and their reliance of Fox News national stories).

Archived