Black News Channel

DENDude

I Saw on FTVLive this morning FTVLive BNC that some dude named J.C. Watts Jr. & his business partner Bob Brillante  are starting the "Black News Channel" to be targeted at young African Americans, and it is to launch this fall on Dish Network, Comcast & Charter.  I wonder if this will get off the ground or not?  something tells me this is going to fail, but then again if NewsNet can do it why can't these folks.  They have been planning for this since May 2017.     

Their website say the headquarters & master control are going to be located in Tallahassee, FL, with bureaus in Atlanta, Washington D.C., New York City, L.A., Chicago & New Orleans. 

image.png.6bf74bedb039b485e8ca5aca4b4e5ef1.png   Any one else think this logo kind of looks like Master Card's logo?  

www.blacknewschannel.com  

Edited by DENDude
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, CircleSeven said:

Honestly folks,

This should have happened 30 years ago.

Now it should be interesting to see what slant the new channel takes in the re-election year.

Edited by Eat News
Twice-Feel Special MV .. https://youtu.be/3ymwOvzhwHs

22 minutes ago, Eat News said:

Honestly folks,

This should have happened 30 years ago.

Now it should be interesting to see what slant the new channel takes in the re-election year.

Most African-American media tends to lean left, especially when it's targeting millennials. BNC will be no different.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It sad it’s truly a shame black peoples need their own TV networks just like how Hispanics have Univision and Telemundo and in English some younger Latino programming. This isn’t about racial segregation it wasn’t that it is about that blacks have no voice in America. White and Hispanic media don’t cover us well, and we need our views amplified like the former show on BNC. We need our own network owned by black also I firmly believe blacks should own their media, not a white person running it like at BET, which lost its spark a long time ago.

Edited by Gavin M.
  • Like 4

On a basic level, cable/sat providers haven't really reorganized their channel lineups since the early 2010s (I'm still waiting for my Charter lineup to be re-organized as it is on Time Warner where 1000's are HD and 2000's are niche/ethnic channels), so BNC did get carriage...but it was so far away from the actual news channels that nobody was going to discover it in-between randomly-assigned networks added since that re-organization took place like ShopHQ Health, Discovery Life, the Olympic channel and Pac12 Arizona. It wasn't going to work because they took just plain carriage over demands to be right in the news tier.

To be fair, Newsmax is in the same channel tier situation, but is also carried on anything with an electrical plug and a video player so they're in a much better state.

The other problem was it was just better as a streaming service to begin with. They should have done that first, rather than as a recreational sideline where you got their lesser content. Except for wasting money on satellite space, it was utterly pointless to start as a cable channel in 2020, and launching one month before the pandemic absolutely undid any publicity that would have helped them succeed.

1 hour ago, Gavin M. said:

We need our own network owned by black also I firmly believe blacks should own their media, not a white person running it like at BET, which lost its spark a long time ago.

Or lowest common denominator stuff like Byron Allen. There is Aspire and Revolt, but they've long retreated to their own niches (archive shows and videos, respectively) with little news content, and TV One has fallen into Viacom Useless Network Syndrome with marathons of old sitcoms; they have an entire radio group with simulcast-ready content to draw from, and just chose that direction because it's what works in the cable world now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And it has closed. If it doesn't move to TWC's Interstate Parkway building in Atlanta, I would be awfully shocked, because it was a channel that should have been in Atlanta in the first place. Now ES can start to distribute news on their own rather that depend on the networks, and AMG will likely launch their own wire and down the line, can have a national hub. Yes, it's Black News Channel first, but this definitely wasn't a purchase made to only keep things as-is.

• Like 2