The Bally Sports Thread

Georgie56

The NFL is much more set in their ways game-wise to maximize viewership on TV, with their consistent game times and network deals.

With the other leagues, the games are much more random in their placement, so they need a source that can air them live, because of the frequency and irregularity of the games.  By nature, an netlet station or RSN is more geared towards airing these games, aside from marquee matchups or league championships carried by the major networks.

6 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The NFL is much more set in their ways game-wise to maximize viewership on TV, with their consistent game times and network deals.

With the other leagues, the games are much more random in their placement, so they need a source that can air them live, because of the frequency and irregularity of the games.  By nature, an netlet station or RSN is more geared towards airing these games, aside from marquee matchups or league championships carried by the major networks.

NHL/NBA you might be able to make it work. MLB I'm just not sure if that's even doable. The only way that works is by making it DTC with a minimum amount of games sublicensed to the local stations (maybe on weekends or on a occaisional weekday afternoon in the summer when all of the syndie shows are done for their seasons or something like that)

9 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Looks like they got the thumbs up from the existing providers here. Gonna be interesting to see how they'll handle the extra traffic and whatnot... 

The way it looks and from this quote it sounds like they also have obtained the rights to broadcast games to the majority of their teams they currently have linear rights to on their DTC Platform

Sinclair has DTC rights for most of the teams covered by the RSNs, with discussions underway to enhance those rights.

Based on that I would say at least initally depending upon the RSN it'd only be used if there's like 3 or more games happening at the same time so that's one of the things those Bally Sports Extra overflow channels can be used for, beyond that I also see in certain cases where it's arranged to match the arrangement the Yankees has between Amazon and WPIX except it'd be exclusive to Sinclair and (depending upon the market) one other owner if its on an RSN that doesn't share common ownership with an existing Sinclair station.

We'll see what happens but it looks like live games will be made available to their DTC platform to the majority of the clubs they already have linear rights to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Here's the catch. It'll be 23 bucks for month. A bit too steep for one or two channels for me

Not to mention we're talking about one or two channels that have virtually no real programing outside of live sports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Not to mention we're talking about one or two channels that have virtually no real programing outside of live sports.

Yeah JCB and I talked about it briefly in the private chats last night and I honestly don't think that only offering one network and probably not changing the non-live sports content is worth the $23 a month tbh.

This is a latest case of Sinclair getting too greedy yet again

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Stadium is now using the Bally graphics for its college sports broadcasts, using the "fixed" version also used for the Lions preseason games. Though in my opinion I probably would have had them made darker to match the rest of Stadium's branding.

Though at one point it looked like someone at network control didn't get the memo, and put a Stadium ticker over the Bally ticker that is also a scoreboard).

Edited by Viper550

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Nice that they put city personalization into these opens with the logos and players on various buildings. Pretty cool compared to some RSN opens of the past.

Those were around in the prior open, as well. You can hear a lot more of the theme in these new opens, though. 

Edited by Georgie56

Well, the plan to launch a DTC option may be in jeopardy since many franchises are still not willing to enter into digital rights with "Bally Sports"

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-renews-rsn-deals-may-not-have-streaming-rights-for-a-direct-to-consumer-service/

The icing on the cake?

They don't even have the gambling rights!

That's right.

BALLY SPORTS network does not have the GAMBLING rights.

Maybe a different naming partner would have been a good idea.

Someone put this dumpster fire of a company out of its misery. NOW.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Well, the plan to launch a DTC option may be in jeopardy since many franchises are still not willing to enter into digital rights with "Bally Sports"

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-renews-rsn-deals-may-not-have-streaming-rights-for-a-direct-to-consumer-service/

The icing on the cake?

They don't even have the gambling rights!

That's right.

BALLY SPORTS network does not have the GAMBLING rights.

Maybe a different naming partner would have been a good idea.

Someone put this dumpster fire of a company out of its misery. NOW.

Even worse (despite the tweeter forgetting to put in the extra 0's) Sinclair (yes, the whole company) is over $12.5 BILLION in debt 

When they first bought the FSNs I was thinking to myself this could sink Sinclair because it was loaded with debt, very little non-sports programming to show for, even when the providers and streamers dropped them I was still at a maybe. Now that all of this and more from a couple of weeks ago came out about the RSNs this is now enough to even sink the whole company down.

Something tells me that either Sinclair didn't even shift a single amount of money in debt from the company itself to Diamond or they shifted it to Diamond but the remaining debt from the RSNs has blosomed since they last did it.

Edited by dman748

I swear this is going to be the next Adelphia to go down in flames and be broken up into pieces.  Even if it's just a standard bankruptcy notwithstanding any criminal charges against the executives that have run this company into the ground and defiled our nation's broadcasting principles for the last several decades.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dman748 said:

Even worse (despite the tweeter forgetting to put in the extra 0's) Sinclair (yes, the whole company) is over $12.5 BILLION in debt 

When they first bought the FSNs I was thinking to myself this could sink Sinclair because it was loaded with debt, very little non-sports programming to show for, even when the providers and streamers dropped them I was still at a maybe. Now that all of this and more from a couple of weeks ago came out about the RSNs this is now enough to even sink the whole company down.

Something tells me that either Sinclair didn't even shift a single amount of money in debt from the company itself to Diamond or they shifted it to Diamond but the remaining debt from the RSNs has blosomed since they last did it.

I still remember when SBG almost went bankrupt the first time, but somehow survived that (and we still don't know really how!). It's obvious though that despite all appearances, their expansion beyond the Fox/CW/My tier into major affiliates hasn't really worked out outside basically leveraging ABC into being their major affiliate base. Whenever they fall, the Benedek and Combined falls are going to look like child's play once all the dominos fall.

The other worry; they're one of the corner studs holding together the tennis industry too through Tennis Channel. But their + service has been an unmitigated disaster (nobody subscribes to it), and they've angered every one of their carriage partners by forcing it for broadcast carriage. Their coverage is awful, and they took forever to convince Justin Gimelstob to leave after his domestic abuse. The future of the tennis circuit outside the Grand Slams, if there is any, looks to be a boxing-like fall where entire tours are stuck behind paywalls if Tennis Channel ends up failing with SBG, because ESPN could pick up a little along with ESPN+, but it's not the 80s where they'd air anything. It doesn't help that SBG is all-in on gambling when organized tennis is fighting to keep it out, especially on the low end nobody pays attention to where anyone on the court could be in on fixing matches.

The company's been a nightmare back to the days of the Glencairn JSAs.

6 hours ago, TexasTVNews said:

IMO, FOX should've never sold its RSNs to Sinclair in the first place. I wouldn't mind if they would've sold it to Disney. We would've had ESPN: Name here (ESPN: Southwest) and regional versions of SportsCenter.

They were pretty much the last resort; Fox had to sell off the networks to another party because the RSNs would have led to rejection to the deal if sold by Disney. And they sold them to Diamond long after they wanted them off their books.

Edited by mrschimpf

30 minutes ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

I know this is a little bit out in left field, but I wouldn't have minded Fox's RSN's going to CBS Sports (CBS Sports Southwest, CBS Sports Kansas City, CBS Sports Ohio). It would have been nice to see CBS get regional IMO.

CBS would be more likely to buy the AT&T Sportsnets since they're likely to be sold and rebranded soon.

Edited by Georgie56

2 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

They were pretty much the last resort; Fox had to sell off the networks to another party because the RSNs would have led to rejection to the deal if sold by Disney. And they sold them to Diamond long after they wanted them off their books.

Of course, the reason why Disney couldn’t buy them in the first place is because acquiring the RSNs as part of the 20CF purchase would have given Disney too much market share in sports broadcasting… what with ESPN being the largest cable sports network, and its namesake subsidiary owning eight sister channels in the U.S. alone, a pay-per-view unit, two streaming platforms (ESPN3, then within the now-defunct WatchESPN app, and the then-fledgling ESPN+), two radio networks (plus a Sirius/XM channel), and holding control of ABC’s sports division. So, the only options for 21st Century Fox were to pull the Fox Sports RSNs off the market and retain ownership of them or sell them to a third party (as they ultimately did).

Quite frankly, as much as Murdoch selling 20th Century Fox, and the FX and National Geographic networks didn’t make much sense (especially when that library would have been useful to them from a streaming standpoint as Disney was able to do with those properties), selling the Fox Sports regional networks didn’t make much sense either, given that the Murdochs’ deep pockets allowed 21CF to clearly be better able to support the RSNs than Diamond Sports was. At least Fox Corporation wouldn’t be saddled with enough debt managing them to drag it into bankruptcy compared to what Sinclair is now dealing with, nor would they make the same mistakes with carriage agreements that Diamond/Sinclair made that contributed to its financial troubles.

Edited by T.L. Hughes
  • Like 1

• Georgie56 changed the title to The Bally Sports Thread