The Bally Sports Thread

Georgie56

4 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Spectrum is dumping the Fox College Sports networks in mid-October, and FIOS has also removed them, which sounds like an immediate Sinclair decision. Probably figure on some kind of "Stadium/Diamond/Marquee Extra" service starting up in the next few months so that the games that usually would air there live will be transferred onto there, or for Stadium to eventually return some games to SBG stations as they did in the ASN days.

It also looks like the FSN's are still carrying the lower-tier Big 12 games. I'm kind of thinking at least until May outside of graphical changes, the channels will still be carrying Fox's properties until the offseason where a long-term agreement can be made to offload them to other networks or the Fox Sports app gets a lot more content in the meantime.

Also there are several schools that still have contracts with FSN that Sinclair inherited from Fox and Disney (the Oklahoma Sooners is among that group) so it would be interesting to see how Sinclair handles that

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Also there are several schools that still have contracts with FSN that Sinclair inherited from Fox and Disney (the Oklahoma Sooners is among that group) so it would be interesting to see how Sinclair handles that

In your Oklahoma Sooner example. I can see that being delegated to KOKH/KOCB with an expanded Sports Department.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 10:52 PM, D Dwayne said:

I'm hearing AT&T Sportsnet wants to sell as well.

As @Myron Falwell and I have been discussing about on Discord. That was only rumors and if anything AT&T will sell DIRECTV before they even touch the RSNs and perhaps they must've saw what Disney was facing when they were forced by the Justice Department to sell the former Fox RSNs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 7:30 PM, JCB4TV said:

The 2019 MLB Regular Season has concluded. What will the RSN landscape look like when the Boys of Summer take the field again on March 26, 2020?

If Chris Ripley has his way MLB games on the Fox RSNs could be aired on feeds that are DMA-specific (example the St. Louis Cardinals could air on Fox Sports Oklahoma/Southwest within the Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Fort Smith, and Little Rock DMAs as well as Fox Sports Tennessee/South/Southeast within the Jonesboro, Memphis, Jackson, MS, and Paducah/Cape Girardeau DMAs)

Another examples I have would be that Cubs games on Marquee could also be aired on Fox Sports Indiana within the Indianapolis and South Bend DMAs, and Fox Sports Wisconsin in both Madison and Milwaukee DMAs closer to the WI/IL state line. Finally, Arizona Diamondbacks games could air on Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket in the Las Vegas DMA with the San Diego Padres airing on Fox Sports Arizona within the Yuma, AZ DMA

Edited by oknewsguy

2 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

If Chris Ripley has his way MLB games on the Fox RSNs could be aired on feeds that are DMA-specific (example the St. Louis Cardinals could air on Fox Sports Oklahoma within the Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Fort Smith, and Little Rock DMAs as well as Fox Sports Tennessee/South/Southeast within the Jonesboro, Memphis, Jackson, MS, and Paducah/Cape Girardeau DMAs)

We've been able to access Cardinals games on FSGO in Ada, Oklahoma (Sherman/Ada).

14 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

If Chris Ripley has his way MLB games on the Fox RSNs could be aired on feeds that are DMA-specific (example the St. Louis Cardinals could air on Fox Sports Oklahoma/Southwest within the Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Fort Smith, and Little Rock DMAs as well as Fox Sports Tennessee/South/Southeast within the Jonesboro, Memphis, Jackson, MS, and Paducah/Cape Girardeau DMAs)

Another examples I have would be that Cubs games on Marquee could also be aired on Fox Sports Indiana within the Indianapolis and South Bend DMAs, and Fox Sports Wisconsin in both Madison and Milwaukee DMAs closer to the WI/IL state line. Finally, Arizona Diamondbacks games could air on Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket in the Las Vegas DMA with the San Diego Padres airing on Fox Sports Arizona within the Yuma, AZ DMA

Ugh, that's so annoying. If they want to play it that way, they should just fold all their RSNs into a single channel and air whatever game is local to your DMA.

5 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Ugh, that's so annoying. If they want to play it that way, they should just fold all their RSNs into a single channel and air whatever game is local to your DMA.

Honestly considering the programming of those networks outside of games, it may just be the best direction to have four master schedules to work off from and a few hours for the usual local stuff like outdoors shows and high school sports and cut the lousy hangers-on who should just move to YouTube already. And the DMA thing is definitely going to be hamstrung by whatever the NBA, NHL and MLB tell the networks; I know the NHL would be unhappy to lose the Wisconsin market that currently gets Minnesota Wild and the MLS Loons due to a lack of franchises for those teams in the state.

4 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Honestly considering the programming of those networks outside of games, it may just be the best direction to have four master schedules to work off from and a few hours for the usual local stuff like outdoors shows and high school sports and cut the lousy hangers-on who should just move to YouTube already. And the DMA thing is definitely going to be hamstrung by whatever the NBA, NHL and MLB tell the networks; I know the NHL would be unhappy to lose the Wisconsin market that currently gets Minnesota Wild and the MLS Loons due to a lack of franchises for those teams in the state.

10 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

This is based off this same article linked from yesterday's post 

Sinclair will also be adding ad inventory from RSNs into its network product, Sinclair Media Networks, allowing the broadcast group to scale out its ad availability. And Sinclair is looking at introducing fees specific to designated market areas (DMA).

“One of the things we'll be looking at is can we chop up an RSN into DMA-specific feeds and then have different ads based on the DMA. That would open up a lot of different opportunities for advertisers.”

Interpret how y'all see it but this might be the end of Fox Sports Oklahoma, New Orleans, among others and they used how Fox Sports South/Southeast would look like during a Braves game or a Hawks game, or an Atlanta United match 

For example, the regional sports network in Atlanta reaches audiences in smaller markets outside of that main area, meaning advertisers pushing Atlanta-specific messages are reaching consumers not in their target audience. Sinclair will look to give stations in smaller markets, such as Macon, Georgia, specific feeds that they could sell to local advertisers in that area.

How I would interpret it would be just about the same ideas @Spring Rubber and @mrschimpf have presented and it might be for the best intrests of the NBA, NHL and MLB (MLS, and WNBA too)

10 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Careful what you wish for...

I think one of the reasons MLB wanted to buy the Fox Sports Nets was to reclaim a bunch of teams' rights and move away from regionalization, towards a centralized rights deal. I think that's a better idea than sticking people with the local team based on geography.

1 minute ago, channel2 said:

I think one of the reasons MLB wanted to buy the Fox Sports Nets was to reclaim a bunch of teams' rights and move away from regionalization, towards a centralized rights deal. I think that's a better idea than sticking people with the local team based on geography.

And that's with any sport for that matter and Sinclair will do anything and everything they want to do including potentially screwing states out of the regional nets games (Tennessee and the Carolinas would be the biggest losers out of this for MLB unless Nashville and Charlotte get their own teams between now and then) by doing as I said yesterday, (it'd be the same thing if the other ideas that other members of this forum have come up with too) 

On 10/6/2019 at 4:40 PM, oknewsguy said:

The FSNs do this to a point already. Reds games get cleared on one of the FSSouth/Southeast/Tennessee/Carolinas feeds in at least Nashville and Charlotte already. FSIndiana clears some Pacers games to at least Louisville, Lexington and Bowling Green, KY through FSSouth, same thing with FSSoutheast and the Grizzlies.

On 10/6/2019 at 4:44 PM, JCB4TV said:

We've been able to access Cardinals games on FSGO in Ada, Oklahoma (Sherman/Ada).

That's true but, what I was referring to is Sinclair may want to give all cable/satellite customers access to their teams based on the region (including AT&T customers) although I could see a merger of Subfeeds such as Fox Sports Oklahoma, San Diego, New Orleans, etc. with their parent channels because all the subfeeds provide is their own feeds for their local teams (i.e. Thunder games on Fox Sports Oklahoma, Pelicans on Fox Sports New Orleans)

Edited by oknewsguy

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 24994J said:

Sinclair has come to terms with AT&T/DirecTV to carry the newly-acquired FSN properties and the upcoming 'Marquee' Cubs network.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/10/17/big-cubs-tv-news-marquee-has-at-least-one-major-carriage-deal-locked-down/

Quite frankly Sinclair and that team up north is likely going to have a much easier time getting distribution for Marquee due to Sinclair tieing in Marquee with YES, the 21 former Fox RSNs and obviously the local stations more so than what the Dodgers are having with SportsNet LA

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Appears a rebranding is imminent, as Fox Sports Florida is getting rebranded "within the next few months".

Also according to this, The Twitter account of SportsTime Ohio has been merged with Fox Sports Ohio and they now go by Fox Sports Cleveland and Fox Sports Columbus on Twitter.

I've also noticed that Fox Sports Sun itself no longer has it's own Twitter account (they do have one for each individual team but that's it) same with Fox Sports South/Southeast as well as Fox Sports Tennessee and Fox Sports Carolinas (with the exception of the PredsonFSTN and CanesonFSCAR accounts)

Edited by oknewsguy

1 hour ago, oknewsguy said:

Also according to this, The Twitter account of SportsTime Ohio has been merged with Fox Sports Ohio and they now go by Fox Sports Cleveland and Fox Sports Columbus on Twitter.

I've also noticed that Fox Sports Sun itself no longer has it's own Twitter account (they do have one for each individual team but that's it) same with Fox Sports South/Southeast as well as Fox Sports Tennessee and Fox Sports Carolinas (with the exception of the PredsonFSTN and CanesonFSCAR accounts)

The South accounts (@PredsOnFSTN, @CanesOnFSCR, @HornetsOnFSSE, @HawksOnFSSE, @GrizzliesOnFSSE, @FOXSportsBraves) have been like that for a couple of seasons, I think. My guess is FOX Sports South et al thought it would be easier to give each one a separate Twitter account what with various channel assignments and viewing area restrictions, etc.

Regarding the Ohio Twitter accounts, It does indeed appear STO has been morphed into FOX Sports Cleveland... the @FOXSportsOH account remains, but mostly retweets Columbus and Cleveland content...my guess is that this is because there's no use in creating a "FOX Sports Cincinnati" account for just the Reds. Actually works well since Cleveland has Indians and Cavs content plus Browns shoulder programming and Columbus has Blue Jackets and Crew SC content plus Ohio State shoulder programming (only time I've seen a college team get their own custom FSN logo bug). The Cincinnati feed has the Reds...and some UC shoulder programming? Not enough to create a separate identity.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I bump a stagnant thread but..

As promised by Sinclair CEO Chris Ripley during the last earnings call, John Wall Street repoted on Friday that Sinclair is indeed going to increase it's stake in Stadium.

Right now details at this point are limited as far as how much stake Sinclair will have in Stadium but this has to be a HUGE boost for not just Sinclair and Stadium itself but for the RSNs as well which makes sense given that Ripley has hinted about leveraging more Stadium content on the RSNs outside of the pre and post game shows.

The announcement on those should come within the next week or so (possibly either the day after thanksgiving or next week) stay tuned.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Black Zalts said:

YouTube TV announced they are dropping the FSN's on February 29th. Comcast could also be the next TV provider to drop them in June. Still no sign of the networks rebranding the name anytime soon. This is getting interesting.

99.9% chance that includes the Marquee network, as well.

2 hours ago, Black Zalts said:

YouTube TV announced they are dropping the FSN's on February 29th. Comcast could also be the next TV provider to drop them in June. Still no sign of the networks rebranding the name anytime soon. This is getting interesting.

FB_IMG_1582832944967.jpg

This cannot be a great sign at all but at the same time I'm not surprised as Chris Ripley (like he did in the Tribune deal) continues to show blantant ignorance to anybody questioning him about anything to do with things related to cord-cutting and it's impact on the RSNs

• Like 1

• Georgie56 changed the title to The Bally Sports Thread