Sinclair Apparent Winner of Fox Sports Networks

The NFL is much more set in their ways game-wise to maximize viewership on TV, with their consistent game times and network deals.

With the other leagues, the games are much more random in their placement, so they need a source that can air them live, because of the frequency and irregularity of the games.  By nature, an netlet station or RSN is more geared towards airing these games, aside from marquee matchups or league championships carried by the major networks.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chris Ripley has, time and time again, demonstrated this company's delusions of grandeur and utter lack of any knowledge of its place in the media landscape, or the landscape itself, and this strikes

They've been on the same tower for years, and WDJT relays them on 58.3. Problem is Weigel has so many channels relaying on WDJT's main signal that none of them have a decent picture quality.

"The F stands for 'you all ask too many f-ing questions'." -Sinclair, probably

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The NFL is much more set in their ways game-wise to maximize viewership on TV, with their consistent game times and network deals.

With the other leagues, the games are much more random in their placement, so they need a source that can air them live, because of the frequency and irregularity of the games.  By nature, an netlet station or RSN is more geared towards airing these games, aside from marquee matchups or league championships carried by the major networks.

NHL/NBA you might be able to make it work. MLB I'm just not sure if that's even doable. The only way that works is by making it DTC with a minimum amount of games sublicensed to the local stations (maybe on weekends or on a occaisional weekday afternoon in the summer when all of the syndie shows are done for their seasons or something like that)

9 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Looks like they got the thumbs up from the existing providers here. Gonna be interesting to see how they'll handle the extra traffic and whatnot... 

The way it looks and from this quote it sounds like they also have obtained the rights to broadcast games to the majority of their teams they currently have linear rights to on their DTC Platform

Sinclair has DTC rights for most of the teams covered by the RSNs, with discussions underway to enhance those rights.

Based on that I would say at least initally depending upon the RSN it'd only be used if there's like 3 or more games happening at the same time so that's one of the things those Bally Sports Extra overflow channels can be used for, beyond that I also see in certain cases where it's arranged to match the arrangement the Yankees has between Amazon and WPIX except it'd be exclusive to Sinclair and (depending upon the market) one other owner if its on an RSN that doesn't share common ownership with an existing Sinclair station.

We'll see what happens but it looks like live games will be made available to their DTC platform to the majority of the clubs they already have linear rights to.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Here's the catch. It'll be 23 bucks for month. A bit too steep for one or two channels for me

Agreed. For $23 a month you should be able to get ALL the networks.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Here's the catch. It'll be 23 bucks for month. A bit too steep for one or two channels for me

Not to mention we're talking about one or two channels that have virtually no real programing outside of live sports.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Not to mention we're talking about one or two channels that have virtually no real programing outside of live sports.

Yeah JCB and I talked about it briefly in the private chats last night and I honestly don't think that only offering one network and probably not changing the non-live sports content is worth the $23 a month tbh.

This is a latest case of Sinclair getting too greedy yet again

• Like 1