The Bally Sports Thread

Georgie56

9 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Sinclair won't be making the RSNs available to unauthenticated users. Per Ripley's quote, the DTC option "will allow an unauthenticated user the ability to access and even subscribe to certain content from our RSNs, as well as other unique content."

I bolded the important part. Just certain content will be available to people who can't authenticate. I'm pretty sure that means MLB/NBA/NHL games won't be available that way. It'll likely be just pre/postgame shows and other studio shows/non-game programming. That's a key distinction to make.

I probably didn't read the article very well then. I thought it said something about being able to watch like games directly on that service.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

We have a launch date: March 31.

I called it, my prediction was April 1, MLB Opening Day!

For the Record, here's the Bally Sports lineup for March 31:

NBA

Trail Blazers at Pistons (Detroit)

Heat (Sun) at Pacers (Indiana)

Mavericks (SW) at Celtics

Jazz at Grizzlies (South)

Knicks at Timberwolves (North)

Raptors at Thunder (OK)

Kings at Spurs (SW)

Bucks (WI) at Lakers

Bulls at Suns (AZ)

NHL

Coyotes (AZ) at Avalanche

Wild (North) at Sharks

Edited by JCB4TV

They've been playing some new music on the spring training telecasts, and the only remnant of the MLB on FOX theme is down to the very short open. Hopefully they go with a high quality look- graphics wise.

14 hours ago, A3N said:

They've been playing some new music on the spring training telecasts, and the only remnant of the MLB on FOX theme is down to the very short open. Hopefully they go with a high quality look- graphics wise.

The NHL broadcasts now have a new theme too.

Other FSNs are sharing similar videos to the one that Georgie linked to yesterday. FSN North also has a FAQ page up. It doesn't really have new information other than confirming that the Fox Sports Go app will update/rebrand as Bally Sports on the 31st, so people who use it shouldn't have to download a new app (though you'll probably have to ensure you update it from whichever app store). The FAQ also confirms "new graphics, music and more" as we knew would happen and is starting to trickle out on broadcasts.

Edited by ScottJ

First look at the new promo graphics. Love the red coloring. It really sticks out compared to the blue branding they have had during the FOX era. I'm really curious to see if the new broadcast graphics will copy Marquee or if it will be something new entirely. This promo also gives a tease of the new music at the end.

Edited by CTrey98

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to bump up a stagnant thread but.. some interesting tidbits from some of the Bally RSNs namely, Bally Sports North and Arizona.

Sinclair is apparently going to be launching a 3rd channel known as Bally Sports Extra, which would serve as a multipurpose channel for at least initially, conflicts of at least 2 or more games. Depending upon the situation it'd be a mix of either or both OTA (within the market) as well as on services such as DirecTV (outside of the market) and on the Bally Sports apps for non-DTV customers that still gets the Bally RSNs.

In the case of Bally Sports North, WUCW will be carrying the T-Wolves games on 4/3, 4/16, 4/26, 5/5 and 5/7

https://www.foxsports.com/north/story/bally-sports-north-tripleheader-channels-minnesota-wild-wolves-twins-032621

And in the case of Bally Sports Arizona, some D-Backs games are going on Bally Sports Arizona Extra, on both Cox and DirecTV https://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/bally-sports-arizona-announces-arizona-diamondbacks-2021-regular-season-schedule-032421 This part though I believe its the most interesting part 

available at this time

2 things that jump to my mind right away when I see that piece of the article. It's either a sign that Sinclair is about to strike a deal with someone in the Phoenix area to carry the games or a negotiating plot to get the RSNs back on certain services. If I were a betting person I would say its the former.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

Sinclair is apparently going to be launching a 3rd channel known as Bally Sports Extra, which would serve as a multipurpose channel for at least initially, conflicts of at least 2 or more games. Depending upon the situation it'd be a mix of either or both OTA (within the market) as well as on services such as DirecTV (outside of the market) and on the Bally Sports apps for non-DTV customers that still gets the Bally RSNs.

Unless I'm misreading it, Bally Sports North Extra is not really a channel... it's just a way to brand the programming when they're being carried on broadcast TV.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:17 PM, LoadStar said:

Unless I'm misreading it, Bally Sports North Extra is not really a channel... it's just a way to brand the programming when they're being carried on broadcast TV.

You're on the right track. The way I'm interpreting it from the articles I've read (and I've read those articles more than once) its sort of a mix between the games being broadcasted in markets in which the teams are represented (OTA) and on cable/apps for those outside of the market.

In other words those within the Minneapolis-St. Paul DMA will see whatever games go on the Extra channel shown on WUCW, while those outside of WUCW's coverage area will have games exclusively carried on either DirecTV, certain cable providers and/or exclusively on the Bally Sports app.

Edited by dman748
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dman748 said:

You're on the right track. The read I'm interpreting it its sort of a mix between the games being broadcasted in markets in which the teams are represented (OTA) and on cable/apps for those outside of the market.

In other words those within the Minneapolis-St. Paul DMA will see whatever games go on the Extra channel shown on WUCW, while those outside of WUCW's coverage area will have games exclusively carried on either DirecTV, certain cable providers and/or exclusively on the Bally Sports app.

It'll get even more interesting on April 17 with MLS, which Sinclair holds local rights to several teams, starts their season.

2 hours ago, dman748 said:

Hate to bump up a stagnant thread but.. some interesting tidbits from some of the Bally RSNs namely, Bally Sports North and Arizona.

In the case of Bally Sports North, WUCW will be carrying the T-Wolves games on 4/3, 4/16, 4/26, 5/5 and 5/7

https://www.foxsports.com/north/story/bally-sports-north-tripleheader-channels-minnesota-wild-wolves-twins-032621

And in the case of Bally Sports Arizona, some D-Backs games are going on Bally Sports Arizona Extra, on both Cox and DirecTV https://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/bally-sports-arizona-announces-arizona-diamondbacks-2021-regular-season-schedule-032421 This part though I believe its the most interesting part 

2 things that jump to my mind right away when I see that piece of the article. It's either a sign that Sinclair is about to strike a deal with someone in the Phoenix area to carry the games or a negotiating plot to get the RSNs back on certain services. If I were a betting person I would say its the former.

Further notes: the Arizona carrier on Cox is YurView Arizona "at this time". (It started as an RSN 40 years ago, so...) In LA, KCOP is carrying a few Angels games for overflow purposes.

I could not find any other cases of "Extra" feeds.

6 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Further notes: the Arizona carrier on Cox is YurView Arizona "at this time". (It started as an RSN 40 years ago, so...) In LA, KCOP is carrying a few Angels games for overflow purposes.

I could not find any other cases of "Extra" feeds.

I also found out that KTXA is carrying a few Stars and Mavs games in April and May. While KMYS is carrying some Spurs games too.

As I said on Discord last night, I see OTA stations (not just Sinclair stations) being involved more so with the coverage of sporting events potentially making subfeed channels (e.g. Bally Sports Kansas City completely pointless). In fact I would not be shocked to see OTA and their upcoming DTC service ultimately replacing the traditional RSN platform which will likely force many of the contracts to have to be renegotiated.

Edited by dman748

First look at the new studio desk that is being used for the Bally Sports networks. New look also gives a tease at the new graphics but this all that they are showing. I guess Sinclair wants to wait until Wednesday (The day it launches) to show it all as one big reveal. Similar to how they launched Marquee Sports Network.

Edited by CTrey98

I just cut the cord yesterday. I've been dragging my feet on this issue, but finally being hit with a $175 bill for the medium tier, no DVR and no extras, finally pushed me over the edge.

I'm streaming for now and none of these Sinclair networks are on any of the streaming packages. I doubt I will miss them.

Cable is down to 60% penetration because of  price increases.

New score bug has been revealed! Looks like the new graphics will be cloned from sister channel Marquee Sports Network. The score bug itself is modified to be a straight line across the bottom of the screen for Baseball. Wouldn't be shocked if Marquee adapts the same change at the start of Baseball season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CTrey98 said:

New score bug has been revealed! Looks like the new graphics will be cloned from sister channel Marquee Sports Network. The score bug itself is modified to be a straight line across the bottom of the screen for Baseball. Wouldn't be shocked if Marquee adapts the same change at the start of Baseball season.

I'd like to see what the NBA & NHL bugs will look like.

11 minutes ago, CTrey98 said:

That score bug reminds me of something I've seen before, but I can't place my finger on it. It gives me Turner Sports vibes circa 2007-2010

19 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

That score bug reminds me of something I've seen before, but I can't place my finger on it. It gives me Turner Sports vibes circa 2007-2010

My first thought was the 2008-ish FOX scoreboard, with all that frequently empty gray space on the right.

image.thumb.png.9746ccb160b9f67087d65c851b98f4cb.png

56 minutes ago, CTrey98 said:

You mean like this one?

tbs-bug.png

38 minutes ago, 24994J said:

My first thought was the 2008-ish FOX scoreboard, with all that frequently empty gray space on the right.

image.thumb.png.9746ccb160b9f67087d65c851b98f4cb.png

Yes, thank you to both! The Fox 2008 look was the main thing that was on the tip of my mind, that I couldn't think of. The 2016 TBS look kinda gives that vibe too. I think it was mainly the color scheme that was making me think of the Turner Sports look from 2007-2010.

2 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I'm wondering if the Marquee Cubs theme is gonna become the standard across the BSNs for baseball.

I also wonder if the new bosses will make all of their booth talent wear full suits for every game like what Marquee is mandating. It looks so odd to see that on a local telecast; although I think some Fox RSNs may have already been wearing suits on a daily basis anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Yes, thank you to both! The Fox 2008 look was the main thing that was on the tip of my mind, that I couldn't think of. The 2016 TBS look kinda gives that vibe too. I think it was mainly the color scheme that was making me think of the Turner Sports look from 2007-2010.

I also wonder if the new bosses will make all of their booth talent wear full suits for every game like what Marquee is mandating. It looks so odd to see that on a local telecast; although I think some Fox RSNs may have already been wearing suits on a daily basis anyway.

Some wore short-sleeve shirts, others wore long sleeve shirts with ties, but no suits.

40 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I've heard rumblings that isn't likely to carry over to this season on Marquee. Maybe from time to time, for higher profile games, but it shouldn't be the everyday plan.

Edit: well, speaking of their attire... (paywalled)

https://theathletic.com/2487854/2021/03/30/a-casual-dress-code-a-new-score-bug-and-more-changes-in-cubs-tv-broadcasts-dollars-and-sense/

Screenshot_20210330-181543_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ad1703b8bd27ec71e8841692270ccc01.jpg

Regarding the scoreboard, which would seem to differ from the bottom placement of the Bally's demo above...

Screenshot_20210330-181657_Chrome.jpg.d01707f2bd7bd83d8483d87a4a7dae59.jpg

Edited by 24994J

• Georgie56 changed the title to The Bally Sports Thread