The Bally Sports Thread

Georgie56

6 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

This is the end of an era as Fox was the name for decades, using names like Fox Sports Net and FSN.

I was thinking about that today. The RSNs were first rebranded as Fox Sports Net on 11/1/96. So the networks used the Fox Sports/FSN branding for just shy of a quarter-century. An entire generation of viewers know the networks as only that, having never experienced the SportsChannel/Prime Network brands that preceded FSN. Once the rebrand officially happens it really will be the end of an era in sports television.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

I was thinking about that today. The RSNs were first rebranded as Fox Sports Net on 11/1/96. So the networks used the Fox Sports/FSN branding for just shy of a quarter-century. An entire generation of viewers know the networks as only that, having never experienced the SportsChannel/Prime Network brands that preceded FSN. Once the rebrand officially happens it really will be the end of an era in sports television.

It sure will be.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

The Brewers are sticking with Bally Sports Wisconsin on a multi-year agreement (though how many years hasn't been announced). No on-air changes to personnel. The Marlins remain up in the air with a 2021 TV deal with BS Florida/Sun.

Did the Brewers really have a viable option other than Sinclair/Bally Sports?

The only OTA broadcaster who I think might have been interested would have been Weigel (they probably would have been thrilled to put the Brewers on WMLW), but I don't think they had the money to outbid Sinclair, nor the resources to actually produce Brewers games on an ongoing basis.

As far as cable channels, there isn't really an alternative to the RSNs, and Bally Sports is the only one in this area.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, ScottJ said:

The RSNs were first rebranded as Fox Sports Net on 11/1/96. So the networks used the Fox Sports/FSN branding for just shy of a quarter-century. An entire generation of viewers know the networks as only that, having never experienced the SportsChannel/Prime Network brands that preceded FSN. Once the rebrand officially happens it really will be the end of an era in sports television.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, Newsjunkie24 said:

It sure will be.

Actually, I do vaguely remember when Fox Sports Southwest was known as HSE (Home Sports Entertainment) before they became an affiliate of Prime Network in the late '80s/early '90s. The only memory I have of the SportsChannel/Prime Network brand are of the NBA/MLB/college sports highlights that came from them which aired on ESPN's "Sportscenter" during those days. (And, to be honest, as a kid, seeing those SportsChannel logos on the court during basketball highlights kind of made me wish we had the channel, in some form!)

8 hours ago, LoadStar said:

The only OTA broadcaster who I think might have been interested would have been Weigel (they probably would have been thrilled to put the Brewers on WMLW), but I don't think they had the money to outbid Sinclair, nor the resources to actually produce Brewers games on an ongoing basis.

As far as cable channels, there isn't really an alternative to the RSNs, and Bally Sports is the only one in this area.

I believe that no team has an alternative to their current RSN and may sign as more of necessity, not by choice.

13 hours ago, LoadStar said:

Spectrum News 1 was really the only other choice as a statewide cable network, and that came with the handicap that it would only be on Spectrum, so the Brewers really had no choice. And going with Weigel would've meant re-stringing together a disparate network of broadcast stations which outside of WMLW, would've been likely a bunch of subchannels already in flux with the Quincy deal and minus Sinclair stations.

The Brewers already saw what a disaster Victory Sports One was for the Twins; there was no way they'd launch a one-team RSN in 2021.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, LoadStar said:

I think many sports leagues and teams are eventually going to have to consider moving to OTT. I think that the recent news about MSG possibly taking its RSNs to OTT is a good example of what I see coming to the RSN genre as a whole

18 hours ago, LoadStar said:

There was talk a year or two ago that the Bucks were looking at creating its own RSN but that didn't happen, Bally was likely the only option.

About OTT, Sinclair/Bally already announce they were going OTT. looking at MLB contracts, many go 15 to 20 years out. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-update-the-estimated-local-tv-revenue-for-mlb-teams/  Its the same with the NBA and NHL. With Sinclair going OTT this year its probably safe to assume that the RSNs are in control of any streaming rights. The RSNs pay massive fees to broadcast the games,  there is no way any team would break current contracts to stream/broadcast the games themselves, they would be losing out of considerable money. There is no way the Dodgers can earn almost $240 this year going OTT. Its going to be up to ATT, NBC and other RSN owners to decide when they also go to OTT. 

Edited by doublejman69

10 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

Spectrum News 1 was really the only other choice as a statewide cable network, and that came with the handicap that it would only be on Spectrum, so the Brewers really had no choice. And going with Weigel would've meant re-stringing together a disparate network of broadcast stations which outside of WMLW, would've been likely a bunch of subchannels already in flux with the Quincy deal and minus Sinclair stations.

The Brewers already saw what a disaster Victory Sports One was for the Twins; there was no way they'd launch a one-team RSN in 2021.

VS1 was beyond a colossal nightmare. But, For markets where there are duopolies with owner groups (Where Fox O&O's have the MyNet "plus" channels, for example) could there be an emergence of bidding to put pro sports on those channels for broadcast TV?

First ones that come to mind are- Minneapolis (WFTC), Dallas (KTXA), Denver (KWGN, KCDO)

At least with WFTC, they once upon a time in the UPN29 days had Twins and Wolves games (albeit, in conjunction with Fox Sports North)

1 hour ago, channel2 said:

Oh that would make too much sense. Give them another ten years or so to get a clue.

Or longer.

Something this "easy" (in reality its hard due to logistical-related stuff) for sports leagues to figure out that cable isn't in the team's future has become extremely difficult for them and eventually, they will pay the price for that.

Heck it's taken the leagues this long to realize that OTT is the future of TV

Edited by dman748
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, dman748 said:

Or longer.

Something this "easy" (in reality its hard due to logistical-related stuff) for sports leagues to figure out that cable isn't in the team's future has become extremely difficult for them and eventually, they will pay the price for that.

Heck it's taken the leagues this long to realize that OTT is the future of TV

Keyword: future. OTT may be the future of TV, but it's not the present -- especially not for major sports. Until then, RSNs are necessary for teams and the cable bundle is the major leagues' best avenue for TV (other than the NFL obviously). The days of broadcast stations being a team's main broadcaster are long gone and aren't coming back.

45 minutes ago, ScottJ said:

Keyword: future. OTT may be the future of TV, but it's not the present -- especially not for major sports. Until then, RSNs are necessary for teams and the cable bundle is the major leagues' best avenue for TV (other than the NFL obviously). The days of broadcast stations being a team's main broadcaster are long gone and aren't coming back.

This is a good point. The new NHL team in Seattle the Kraken just weeks ago announced that there games will be airing on Root Northwest, the only way to stream it is by paying $80/m for ATT streaming service, Comcast customers (the major cable company for most of WA and OR) don’t even have the ability to stream the channel. This is a team that is connected with Amazon and other high tech companies in Seattle and is a market with a significant amount of cable cutters. If there is a team in any sport anymore aware of OTT it is the Kraken. 

Having the ability to watch non NFL pro teams on OTA is wishful thinking at this point, it’s not happening.

I took a look at this issue, and it appears that all the RSNs can place their teams on OTT with existing infrastructure.

• We all know that Sinclair plans on launching OTT for Bally's Sports
  • NBC has NBC Sports Gold & Peacock
  • AT&T has BR Live
  • The Independent RSNs can possibly add a standalone option to their existing TVE platforms.

10 hours ago, doublejman69 said:

This is a good point. The new NHL team in Seattle the Kraken just weeks ago announced that there games will be airing on Root Northwest, the only way to stream it is by paying $80/m for ATT streaming service, Comcast customers (the major cable company for most of WA and OR) don’t even have the ability to stream the channel. This is a team that is connected with Amazon and other high tech companies in Seattle and is a market with a significant amount of cable cutters. If there is a team in any sport anymore aware of OTT it is the Kraken. 

Having the ability to watch non NFL pro teams on OTA is wishful thinking at this point, it’s not happening.

Comcast has a streaming website. Live feeds and everything. It may only work for cable video customers, but it does exist.

Edited by AmericanErrorist

On 2/18/2021 at 9:59 PM, AmericanErrorist said:

Comcast has a streaming website. Live feeds and everything. It may only work for cable video customers, but it does exist.

Root NW has a TV everywhere stream/app but Comcast doesn't have an agreement to access the stream, only Directv/ATT and a handful of smaller cable subscribers can stream ROOT.

When I had Directv they had a similar app as Comcast but there was several channels missing from the streaming portion likely because Directv didn't have streaming rights. Its likely the same thing with Comcast and Root NW. 

5 hours ago, doublejman69 said:

Root NW has a TV everywhere stream/app but Comcast doesn't have an agreement to access the stream, only Directv/ATT and a handful of smaller cable subscribers can stream ROOT.

When I had Directv they had a similar app as Comcast but there was several channels missing from the streaming portion likely because Directv didn't have streaming rights. Its likely the same thing with Comcast and Root NW. 

Since Comcast is a cable company, they are able to offer their entire comport of channels for streaming within the wifi reach of a cable modem (the "Xfinity in-home network"). Their out-of-home streaming is far more limited, and doesn't include Root NW.

Edited by AmericanErrorist

On 2/18/2021 at 12:49 PM, doublejman69 said:

I'm surprised Comcast didn't put a bid to be their rights holder either via NBC Sports NW or a new RSN for Seattle. They seem to like having RSNs in regions where they are the dominant cable provider.

5 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I'm surprised Comcast didn't put a bid to be their rights holder either via NBC Sports NW or a new RSN for Seattle. They seem to like having RSNs in regions where they are the dominant cable provider.

It seems like NBC SPORTS NW focuses more on Portland and Oregon teams, whereas ROOT SPORTS NW focuses more on Seattle  and Washington teams, with the Portland Timbers being the only exception to this rule. 

6 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

It seems like NBC SPORTS NW focuses more on Portland and Oregon teams, whereas ROOT SPORTS NW focuses more on Seattle  and Washington teams, with the Portland Timbers being the only exception to this rule. 

If Seattle ever gets another NBA team, will NBC Sports NW disappear from WA cable lineups?

Sinclair's DTC service isn't expected to launch until 2022 https://thestreamable.com/news/sinclair-wont-bring-rebranded-fox-sports-rsns-direct-to-consumer-until-2022

The fact that they're looking into making it available to even those who don't have a way to authenticate their satellite/streaming services to the RSNs is.. a rather interesting proposition here.

14 hours ago, dman748 said:

Sinclair's DTC service isn't expected to launch until 2022 https://thestreamable.com/news/sinclair-wont-bring-rebranded-fox-sports-rsns-direct-to-consumer-until-2022

The fact that they're looking into making it available to even those who don't have a way to authenticate their satellite/streaming services to the RSNs is.. a rather interesting proposition here.

Sinclair won't be making the RSNs available to unauthenticated users. Per Ripley's quote, the DTC option "will allow an unauthenticated user the ability to access and even subscribe to certain content from our RSNs, as well as other unique content."

I bolded the important part. Just certain content will be available to people who can't authenticate. I'm pretty sure that means MLB/NBA/NHL games won't be available that way. It'll likely be just pre/postgame shows and other studio shows/non-game programming. That's a key distinction to make.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ScottJ said:

Sinclair won't be making the RSNs available to unauthenticated users. Per Ripley's quote, the DTC option "will allow an unauthenticated user the ability to access and even subscribe to certain content from our RSNs, as well as other unique content."

I bolded the important part. Just certain content will be available to people who can't authenticate. I'm pretty sure that means MLB/NBA/NHL games won't be available that way. It'll likely be just pre/postgame shows and other studio shows/non-game programming. That's a key distinction to make.

The only reason I would even consider subscribing to this would be to catch Pelicans games I can't currently get streaming in market on NBA League Pass since YouTube TV dropped the RSNs. If they don't have the games, there's no point.

Not really interested in this either:

Edited by mightynine

• Georgie56 changed the title to The Bally Sports Thread